Find
Notify
Tools

Red Fox, not Foxx
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of MLC
posted
I wasn't sure where to post this so if it needs to be moved, please do so.

My father in law keeps sheep.
Yesterday we were taking them a load of old produce when we noticed a small animal in the pasture with them.
Upon further scrutiny it proved to be a young red fox.
My father in law is concerned that the fox will kill his sheep/lambs.
The lambs are 18" tall at this point so I personally think they are ok.
I am of the opinion that the local supply of mice, rabbits and large crop of young turkey will keep the fox satiated.
Should he be concerned for the safety of his sheep?

Posts: 233 | Location: Solebury, PA | Registered: 20 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of British
posted Hide Post
MLC: Personally, I wouldn't take the risk of leaving this fox free to roam around and potentially cause chaos with your fathers sheep. The foxes we have over here in the UK can be very bold when it comes to taking on livestock that's bigger than they are.

Posts: 325 | Location: Essex, UK | Registered: 12 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In Wyoming, red fox can and do kill lambs. Usually while the rest of the flock stand around and watch or stampede over the nearest cliff.

Posts: 2037 | Location: frametown west virginia usa | Registered: 14 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Last summer I had a litter of red fox near my barn. I would seem them wandering around aimlessly in broad day light. I got close enough to see that they had mange bad enough to be missing a good bit of their fur.
I considered shooting them to be putting them out of their misery. One I missed stood still for the 2nd shot.
I have been slow to my piont, sorry. It is not real common for fox to be out in the middle of a pasture in daylight, I would consider it to be diseased if it is seen often or behaving strangely

Posts: 906 | Location: NW OH | Registered: 19 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I can't beleive it's still alive!!! GHD

Posts: 2495 | Location: SW. VA | Registered: 29 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MLC
posted Hide Post
The fox seemed to be a pup.
I think that the old produce that my father in law has piled up outside the sheep pen attracted it.
I live in a suburban/semi rural area and really try not to kill anything other than deer and squirrels since developement is destroying everything already.
The last time I saw a fox was 4 years ago.
This year there have been 3 dead on the road within 2 miles of my home.

Posts: 233 | Location: Solebury, PA | Registered: 20 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you have seen 3 on the road dead then there is no shortage of them!! derf

Posts: 3450 | Location: Aldergrove,BC,Canada | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't think the youngster will both your lambs. There is NO shortage of red fox in Bucks Co. I'm in Hilltown and I saw 11 in one night, they're everywhere. Wish more people would hunt/trap 'em.

Posts: 57 | Location: Leraysville, Pa. | Registered: 29 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MLC
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the local perspective!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Just remember this, that young Fox will be a grown Fox soon and Foxes will always return to a food source which will soon consist of your Lambs. Shoot the Bastard! Happy Hunting..
Mick

Posts: 25 | Location: South Australia | Registered: 02 July 2003Reply With Quote