Find
Notify
Tools

Jackal Down and Out
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Gerhard.Delport
posted
I have finally my 1st kill from my killing chair.

I received a phone call from a client staying about 5 miles out of the city and asked if I would help him out with a problem jackal.

He has seen the jackal numerous times during the last two weeks and the jackal caught a duck last night. He planned to put poison out for the jackal but thought he would ask me first. I agreed because I hate poison.

I made sure I was at his property just before dark. After getting the documentation (Permission to hunt) signed I got the killing chair put together.

Its full moon tomorrow night and the moon is already up. Might get interesting when I have a jackal coming in.

After the usual 5 min of waiting after stopping and putting the e caller out.

I started calling and almost immediately picked up eyes at about 500 yards. The jackal started moving closer but not really committed yet. I changed to another bunny blues song and that really had him moving.

He came to the caller from behind a bush I could just see his eyes through the bush. As he moved out from behind the bush he got that "O S*#@t" look on his face.

The 40gr Vmax did a great job of ripping his chest apart. I love that bang flops.

I got a surprise when I picked the jackal up.

He had a wire snare around his neck.The cut was fresh and deep. Might have happened today.

I am glad I could put him out of his misery. Might have suffered a long and painful death. I hate snares as well.

Gerhard

Gerhard
FFF Safaris
Capture Your African Moments
Hunting Outfitter (MP&LP)
Proffesional Hunter (MP&LP)
History guide
Wildlife Photographer
www.fffsafaris.co.za

Posts: 1659 | Location: Dullstroom- Mpumalanga - South Africa | Registered: 14 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jakkals: Great story and great photos as well!
Good job on getting the problem Jackal there!
What caliber and Rifle are you using?
And if you can, describe the weight of that creature to me?
Keep after them!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you VarmintGuy,

I use a 22K Hornet as my calling rifle.

This particular jackal I shot weighed about 15 to 19 lbs. It was one of last years pups.

I called in a jackal for a client a week ago that was about 7 years old and weighed close to 30 lbs.

Gerhard

Gerhard
FFF Safaris
History guide
Wildlife Photographer
www.fffsafaris.co.za

Posts: 1659 | Location: Dullstroom- Mpumalanga - South Africa | Registered: 14 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jakkals,

Great story & photos! Do it again when you get some more "Bench Time" off your Shooting Chair.

That sling would indicate to me that someone has a poaching issue not too far from where you potted that Jackal.

What do you think?

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you Gerry,

Because most of the farms have game fences on only small animals like Duiker and Steenbok can move underneath the fences. Jackal and other small predator all so use these game paths.

These game paths are the ideal place where a poacher will place a snare.

This is probably how this jackal got the snare around the neck.

The poachers use any peace of wire they can find for a snare, that’s probably why the jackal could brake the snare.

Gerhard

Gerhard
FFF Safaris
History guide
Wildlife Photographer
www.fffsafaris.co.za

one of us
posted Hide Post
Gerhard,

Yessiree, a shame about the wires - a Pox on the poachers!

I think you got a great set-up there, I'm not much on the original .22 Hornet, finally gave up on trying to make it all jive with relaods and sold it, making the move to .222 Remington.

Having said that and not having any practical experience to base it on - the .22 K-Hornet always appealled to me! Simply 'cause it looks so cool!

I digress, every time I've seen a Black-Backed Jackal with a rifle in my hands we were onto something else and didn't want to pull the trigger. I'm gonna get one eventualy, nice looking pelts they have and would look REALLY cool made up as a blanket, with say 6, 8 or 9 of 'em sewn together.

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote