New
Find
Notify
Tools

TC .223 with 16" barrel?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I've come across a TC in .223 with a 16" barrel for a decnt price. I'm really just looking for a truck gun, something small sturdy.
Can anyone give me some info on these rifles? They seem to be popular enough, I wonder what the triggers are like and if they can be swapped out for aftermarket ones since I am a bit critical of just about all factory triggers.
Thanks

Posts: 2286 | Location: Aussie in Italy | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The TC Contender is a good gun and will take lots of abuse. I have shot a couple of the pistols in IHMSA competition for a number of years and they really hold up.

The barrels tend to be pretty good. I have one chambered in 7TCU that has more that 7000 rounds down it and it still shoots well.

The triggers can be adjusted quite nicely. Again, for use in IHMSA, I have had mine adjusted down pretty light.

R Flowers

Posts: 1220 | Location: Hanford, CA, USA | Registered: 12 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There have been several series of T/C Contenders. Some are more collectable than others. All work well.

The "guru," one, is Mike Bellm, bellmtcs.com, who took over Mr. Ackley's "practice" when he retired. He has some pointed opinions about TC products and specializes in making them better. Numerous other firms offer after market products. There has been a Spanish firm making barrels at somewhat less cost.

If you don't object to a single shot this can be about ideal... (if it shoots) and if it doesn't shoot, altering it for better performance or another caliber, easy. luck.

One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by iiranger:
There have been several series of T/C Contenders. Some are more collectable than others. All work well.

The "guru," one, is Mike Bellm, bellmtcs.com, who took over Mr. Ackley's "practice" when he retired. He has some pointed opinions about TC products and specializes in making them better. Numerous other firms offer after market products. There has been a Spanish firm making barrels at somewhat less cost.

If you don't object to a single shot this can be about ideal... (if it shoots) and if it doesn't shoot, altering it for better performance or another caliber, easy. luck.

I have the personal pleasure of knowing Mike Bellm, as he lives here in my town.... although I am not an Encore Kind of guy, I can tell you I have seen him make triggers for those things as smooth as silk...

I wouldn't call him a fanatic, but he is definitely an artist when he is working on a firearm..... you couldn't do better anywhere than Mike...

I personally wouldn't own one that hadn't had his "magic touch" on it...

and he can be opinionated as pointed out above...but I have never seen one of his opinions that didn't make perfect sense when you looked at it...and I have listened to several, first hand...face to face...

if you pick it up.. Mike will set you up with some mods to it that will make you truly enjoy it...all at a very reason cost...

cheers
seafire
beer

Life Member: The American Vast Right Wing Conspiracy

Jan 20, 2009.. Prisoner in Dumocrat 'Occupied America', Partisan in the 'Save America' Underground

Beavis..... James Beavis..... Of Her Majesty's Secret Service..... Spell Check Division

"Posterity — you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it."
John Quincy Adams

A reporter did a human-interest piece on the Texas Rangers. The reporter recognized the Colt Model 1911 the Ranger was carrying and asked him "Why do you carry a 45?" The Ranger responded, "Because they don't make a 46."

Duhboy....Nuttier than Squirrel Poop...

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a good friend with a 16" TC in 223 with a rifle stock. It is very good shooter and super to handle other than being a little light. The down side for the rifle, it is absolutly deafening with the 16" barrel.

Posts: 411 | Location: Smack, in the middle of Oklahoma | Registered: 18 August 2003Reply With Quote