THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    What about using a Thompson Center Encore for Varmints?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What about using a Thompson Center Encore for Varmints?
 Login/Join

<Embalmer>
posted
I am planning on buying a TC Encore here real soon and was thinking of using it for Varmint hunting. I will be getting one of the barrels in either 22-250 or 220 Swift just for Varmints. Specifically Coyotes. I will be getting other calibers for othjer game. I really like the idea of the interchangability of this rifle. Plus the fast and mobile attributes of its lightweight and shorter design. I think it would make a great rifle for walk outs and or stands. I will also be getting one barrel in 223 or 243 WSSM once the brass and ammo becomes more available.

What do you guys think?

one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
My partner Brett & I don't use Encores, but we do use Contenders. Two in .223 and one in .22WMR. We've found that by glassing the forends and using Bellm hinge pins, we're getting close to 1/2" groups with the .223s and the .22WMR shoots under 1" at 100yds. [Wink]

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
How's about an XP pistol in 6.5-284 Win.? Check out my 906 yd. coyote (believe it or not) at this site www.perry-systems.com -- testimonials-- hunter.

Posts: 926 | Location: pueblo.co | Registered: 03 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Give it a try, I have a SS Encore heavy barrel in .223 - accurate, fun and - in a few minutes, it turns into a .45/70 or .308. I enjoy playing with it. I have never had any problems with mine.

Posts: 376 | Location: Farmington, NM - USA | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My Encore, (24" std wt. bbl.) in .223 does not shoot for ****. I have tried every load I can think of, and can't do better than 1 1/2" groups at 100 yds. I realize that there really is no comparison, but my Savage Mod. 12 has never shot worse than 3/8" groups with any of the loads I tried.
This is just my experience, take it as you will.

Posts: 282 | Location: Mid-Hudson Valley, NY | Registered: 26 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
One of the board members at Bushnell Outdoors is haveing a tough time with a switch from an M/L barrel to a 7mm Mag barrel He can't seem to get even acceptable hunting groups. derf

Posts: 3450 | Location: Aldergrove,BC,Canada | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
<Embalmer>
posted
It looks like my Local gunshop now has some of the 223 WSSM ammo in stock. Damn it! now that makes me think about getting the 223 WSSM instead of the 22-250 HBar for my TC Encore. I know I can get both, but not with the funds right now. I do really want the 223 WSSM for Varmints, but I dont want to have trouble in obtaining the ammo and or brass for it.

I will stop by the reloading center tomorrow to see how difficult it is or will be to get the brass for it here in the upcoming weeks. If it is going to be awhile before I can get the brass I will have to stay with the 22-250 for sake of ease of use. Otherwise if it is available I will go with the new 223 WSSM and reload all my hunting ammo : )

<Embalmer>
posted
Well, after some consideration I finally ordered my TC Encore from VVCG with a nice light trigger pull of 1lb. I got it in blued steel with camo stocks and had VVCG work the forend to accept their hanger bar so the barrel will be free floated. I did not order the barrel yet becuase I was still deciding on either the 22-250 or the 223 WSSM. After a long discussion with Bob at Sinclair I decided against the 223 WSSM for one simple reason. He had mentioned that through the testing that Hornady did on the 223WSSm they only shot 350 rounds through the new rifle. Then they examined the throat and bore after those 350 shots. They noticed a fair amount of barrel wear which included eccesive throat wear as well. So after only 350 rounds this thing is howing signs of wear I thought better about getting this caliber. So tomorrow I will be ordering the heavy barrel 22-250 from VVCG.

I cant wait for my new toy to show up so I canstart working a load for her! [Smile]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Why not a 22BR almost the same volococy as the 22-250 on 29 grs powder/ I just had OTT make me a 6BR and it is shooting in the 3's without any load development. [Cool]

Posts: 139 | Location: Powell WY | Registered: 17 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Magnum Mike
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by deadeyedick:
Why not a 22BR almost the same volococy as the 22-250 on 29 grs powder/ I just had OTT make me a 6BR and it is shooting in the 3's without any load development. [Cool]

I had Mike (of OTT) rechamber a 44mag barrel to 444 Marlin. It has made an AWSOME varmint gun!! I ma using 240JHP Nolsers and it ABSOLUTELY rips the hide off of em! [Big Grin] IT will shoot sub MOA at 100 yards assuning that i do my part!! [Wink]

Posts: 1574 | Location: Western Pennsylvania | Registered: 12 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I see nothing wrong with a Thompson Center Encore for Varments. I had a .22 Hornet with a 21 inch barrel that shot well.
I found out over the years, that a shotgun "Break Down" type rife is usually not as accurate as a bilt action.

Posts: 355 | Location: Roanoke, Virginia | Registered: 29 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by prof242:
My partner Brett & I don't use Encores, but we do use Contenders. Two in .223 and one in .22WMR. We've found that by glassing the forends and using Bellm hinge pins, we're getting close to 1/2" groups with the .223s and the .22WMR shoots under 1" at 100yds. [Wink]

prof242,
Where can I find out more about the procedure you describe here?

one of us
Picture of Magnum Mike
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MADISON:
I see nothing wrong with a Thompson Center Encore for Varments. I had a .22 Hornet with a 21 inch barrel that shot well.
I found out over the years, that a shotgun "Break Down" type rife is usually not as accurate as a bilt action.

A lot of these break open guns are now shooting in the .3s, that is purty much minute of varmint in my book especially when its a handgun! [Big Grin]

Posts: 1574 | Location: Western Pennsylvania | Registered: 12 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of scrounger
posted Hide Post
MSSmagnum, I think I want a .444 barrel for my Encore. How can I get in touch with OTT? The link in your post didn't really get me anywhere that I could see anything about barrels.

Posts: 281 | Location: Between Death Valley & the Atomic Test Site | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Magnum Mike
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by scrounger:
MSSmagnum, I think I want a .444 barrel for my Encore. How can I get in touch with OTT? The link in your post didn't really get me anywhere that I could see anything about barrels.

I entered the incorrect link. The one that you want is http://www.mbmco.net/Merchant2/merchant.mv? . There are links on the left side of the page for Contender and Encore barrels.

Sorry it took me so long to respond, i forgot about this post....

one of us
posted Hide Post
I see nothing wrong with an encore for varmint hunting. I have a factory barrelled encore in a pistol with a 16" tube that will shoot under 3/4" off of a rest all day long. The only modification is a belm hing pin. I could only imagine what a rifle barrel would do.

Posts: 53 | Location: pittsburgh PA | Registered: 13 November 2002Reply With Quote