THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    69 gr matchkings on squirrels.

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

69 gr matchkings on squirrels.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
How do they perform on ground squirrels at .223 velocities?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Same as a 55 grain FMJ. Depends on what they hit on the squirrel.

I have had some hit the rib cage and blow them up like a hollow point. Others hit the stomach area and just cut them in half or make a big tearing wound.

If you want explosive performance, use a SP or an HP. I personally love the 69 grain matchking, but I would not waste the expense on squirrels. If I had to have something like that, I'd use the 55 grain FMJ, basically for economy.

I have tried Hornady's 75 grain HP on squirrels and it blew a few up, and mostly just cut them in half with no fanfare. Same results with the 75 grain A max and the Nosler 80 grain Match bullet, and the Sierra 80 grain Match bullet.

I am too addicted to the explosive factor.....

cheers
seafire

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bm-3
posted Hide Post
Have you tried the Speer 52gr hollow point? They do a number on anything up to 100 yards. I started shooting cast bullet that I hollow point an they do the same job to about 175 yards.

Posts: 86 | Location: Idaho, Boise. | Registered: 20 March 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Speer 52gr.HP Very accurate and red mist capable.

One of Us
Picture of bm-3
posted Hide Post
Has anyone tried the Barns Varmint Atron? Some one told me they work okay but it is some ome I never trusted.

Posts: 86 | Location: Idaho, Boise. | Registered: 20 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Speer 52 grain HP is my bullet in my Rebarreled 22/250 with a 28 inch barrel on a Winchester Model 70 action.

The are throttled back with an MV of only 3400 fps, but they are deadly accurate and generate a lot of ground squirrels into a bigger scattering of ground squirrel parts.

That and the 50 grain TNT are two great bullets from Speer for that application.

Cheers
seafire

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote