New
Find
Notify
Tools

.240WBY ?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am pondering building a rifle in .240WBY, but I need to further convince myself that it can be a very good all round caliber...or possibly an in the middle caliber that is not particularly good for anything specific?

Does anyone use it for varminting?

Posts: 2283 | Location: Aussie in Italy | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
I think the 240 WBY is a marvelous cartridge for varminting and medium game (deer and the like). We use it for pest control on the farm, and it is creat for those 400+ yard shots at vermin. It is NOT a good pelt cartridge! I have long thought about building one from scratch, but with the new WSSM's, the prospect of cheap brass and factory ammo are a pretty effective siren's song. FWIW, Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Express: In 1989 I began putting together a custom Varmint/Medium Game Rifle in caliber 240 Weatherby. A lot of my friends and Hunting buddies advised against the caliber! None had ever Hunted with one though and I decided to go ahead with the project. The Rifle turned out great and no complaints so far at all. Indeed I think its a fantastic Varmint/Medium Game Rifle!
I built my Rifle on a pre-1964 Winchester Model 70 action. It has a long (27"), heavy Hart barrel. I have a Varmint style, wide forend black walnut stock on it. I had a trigger job done on it and mounted a Leupold 6.5X20 variable scope on it. The complete Rifle weighs 12 pounds and 5 ounces. It is a joy to shoot. The Rifle is very accurate and the ammunition feeds reliably. I have used it to Hunt long range Coyotes, Rock Chucks, Deer and Antelope with. Antelope within 400 yards are virtually "in the bag"! I have taken Coyotes to near 500 yards with it several times. I originally used the Weatherby brass (of course as it was the only brass available) but back in 1999 I switched to Norma 240 Weatherby brass and it has performed just as well and was not very expensive at all. I use the wonderful Federal 210M primers and have been very happy with them also. This cartridge has a very flat trajectory and its speed also keeps wind drift to a minimum. The lethality with this cartridge on Deer and Antelope is awesome! I have some pet loads that I will forward to you if you decide to try one. Good luck if you go for it!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

[ 01-07-2003, 21:47: Message edited by: VarmintGuy ]

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My daughter liked my .240 so much she hounded me until I built her one on a Ruger M77 action. Old style with a tang safty. Used a 25" Shilen Match Grade barrel and she uses it of everything we have around here. Mule and Blacktailed Deer, wild hogs(some of which get up to 400 lbs. and more) and any varmint that crosses her path on her place. If you throw black bear in the pot and you want to use a 6mm then make sure that 6mm is a .240 Weatherby Magnum. Lawdog

Posts: 1254 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote