Find
Notify
Tools

Predator bullets
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of boilerroom
posted
As in big game, the debate surfaces here also. Explosive expansion vrs. controlled expansion.

I've had this debate with a few people lately. In varmint hunting, one wants a bullet to basicly explode just after entry to the rodent they are shooting. There is definately not enough mass on a prarie dog to expand a bullet designed for larger game. What you end up with is a wounded critter and a bullet that still travels beyond the intended target. I've talked to a few people about bullet selection for predators. Alot still hold this logic to the larger varmints. If you are simply intending to get involved in predator control on the local population of yotes, then a varminter bullet will do a great job. A 30lbs yote is no match for a 55gr. V-max traveling at a zillion fps.

What about those of us that would like to keep the pelts from the fur beares we are calling in? What about penetration on a potential 200lbs wolf or cat?

I for one would not like a basket ball sized exit wound on the pelt of a beuatiful wolf or mountain lion. What would the destruction be from a 75gr, 25 cal V-max moving at 3700fps on a lynx?

On the other hand we are forced in this province to use a bullet that expands. Full metal jackets can be used by trappers who are putting an animal down that has survived being trapped. He has to sell the fur. Hunters can not for humane and safety reasons. We do have the option of using bullets that are closer to full metal jackets when used on smaller animals. A barnes x will hardly expand on a wolf when its traveling at a moderate speed. A very small exit wound can be expected, hardly larger than what would result from a full metal jacket in the same calibre.

Although this would result in a pelt in good condition most times, the question of effectiveness can be debated. Do we want to wound a big wolf or cat, or any animal for that matter?

I'm going to be using 115gr. Nosler Ballistic Tips out of my 25 06 this year. I know that this bullets humanely kills yotes and I shot a monster mulie this year with this very set up so I know it will humanely kill a 200lbs wolf. The question about pelt damage is still there though.

Posts: 4326 | Location: Under the North Star! | Registered: 25 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RareBear
posted Hide Post
Quote:

What about those of us that would like to keep the pelts from the fur beares we are calling in? What about penetration on a potential 200lbs wolf or cat?

Small Caliber News sure has some interesting articles an just such a subject. The last issue (Vol. 7 No. 3 page 9) has a picture of a mountain lion harvested with a 30 grain bullet and a rifle chambered in .17 Tactical.

Vol. 5 No. 4 page 10, Wolves of Winter, by Ron Chaney, .17 VLR, Woodchuck Den 29 grain bullets

Vol. 6 No. 4 page 12, The Gray Ghost of Rock Lake, by Ron Chaney, .17 VLR, Woodchuck Den 30 grain Gold bullets

Vol. 3 No. 1 page 25, 14 for 14 with a .14, by Blaine Eddy, .14-221 Walker Fireball, 13 grain Eichelberger bullets

I think you can subscribe and/or purchase back issues at the link in this post (by phone or snail mail). I enjoy this publication so much I sucribed a few years ago and purchased all the back issues. Good wintertime reading.

Posts: 166 | Location: Cardington, Ohio, USA, 3rd rock from the sun, Milkyway Galaxy | Registered: 01 February 2004Reply With Quote