THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    Best Varmint Bullet for 250 Savage

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best Varmint Bullet for 250 Savage
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I found a used 250 Savage built on a medium SAKO action with a 1 in 12 twist Douglas barrel. I would like to develop an accurate varmint load for this rifle. How do the Hornady 75 gr. VMAX and Nosler 85 gr. Ballistic Tips compare for accuracy and frangibility? Are there any better .257 Varmint bullets? I hope to try this cartridge out on ground hogs next summer if I can find a good load. Thank you.

rollinghills

Posts: 107 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 28 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My 250 Sav has primarily been used on deer (100-120gr bullets), but I have tried Hornady 75 Vmax and HP, and Sierra's 75 HP. The basic HP's shoot as well as the Vmax, but crows have been the only victim. I also shoot Berger's 72gr out of a 25-223, and accuracy is outstanding.
My only use of the Nosler 85BT has been on paper, and as expected, it grouped very well. Just not sure where it fits...kinda light for deer, heavy for varmints.

Posts: 639 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 28 March 2002Reply With Quote