New
Find
Notify
Tools

Varmint bullets for 7mm stw
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I know it's an overkill, but I hope to go on a pdog shoot next summer. I don't have that many rifles right now, so I plan on using everything I have. Plus, it should be some good practice with my deer rifle. I have a 7mm stw sendero, it's kind of unique in that it has a factory laminated stock and blue bull barrel.

Anyway, I was looking at the 125 gr v-max or nosler btips. I think the noslers have a better bc. Anybody have any experience with these? Any other suggestions? I thought about a heavier bullet with a better bc, but the rifle only wears a 3x10 scope, so longer shots would be limited.

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Either bullet you mentioned would work just fine. You could also just stick to your standard game load. Shooting p-dogs at extended ranges will help you become more acquainted with the trajectory, which will yield better confidence once big game season rolls around.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9336 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Stormbringer
posted Hide Post
I shoot the 120 Ballistic Tips and the 120 Vmax. The vmax are much more explosive on chucks and pdogs.

Mike.

Posts: 94 | Location: Fruit Heights, Utah | Registered: 01 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 120 Nosler is more of a deer bullet. The 120 VMax shoots very well out of my 7mm WSM. That bullet has the spire point shape to it and it should reach closer to the lands.

Join the NRA

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use the 120 Hornady VMAXs in a 7BR with great terminal results on varmints out to 300 yards when only pushed at 2500fps!! Pushing them at STW velocities may result in not even being able to find the remains of a Pdog!! Big Grin You may want to try the SPEER 110 grain TNT's! After yesterdays use of the 125 grain TNT's in a 300SAUM on eastern groundhogs, watching the "launch and lob factor" come into play on full grown groundhogs out to 430-500 yards, I beleive I'd give them a try!!! You can get 600 of them from MidWay for 72.49!! That's cheap big bullets!!! GHD

Groundhog Devastation(GHD)

Posts: 2495 | Location: SW. VA | Registered: 29 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you're taking a 7mm STW on a prairie dog shoot you must know an excelent orthopedic surgeon. When the action gets fast and furious you're not going to have much of a shoulder left. That's a lot of firearm for such a small critter. Just one mans opinion. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

Cal Sibley

Posts: 1866 | Location: Montreal, Canada | Registered: 01 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jay Gorski
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Justin B:
I know it's an overkill, but I hope to go on a pdog shoot next summer. I don't have that many rifles right now, so I plan on using everything I have. Plus, it should be some good practice with my deer rifle. I have a 7mm stw sendero, it's kind of unique in that it has a factory laminated stock and blue bull barrel.

Anyway, I was looking at the 125 gr v-max or nosler btips. I think the noslers have a better bc. Anybody have any experience with these? Any other suggestions? I thought about a heavier bullet with a better bc, but the rifle only wears a 3x10 scope, so longer shots would be limited.

I suppose you could change the barrel once you get done shooting at the dogs. shame

Really, Isn't that a good round for eating up barrels, say after about 400 rounds or so. I'd save the barrel for deer and elk and buy yourself a 204 Ruger, about the same price as a new barrel for your 7STW. thumb And, what a waste of powder, something to think about. Jay

Posts: 1745 | Location: WI. | Registered: 19 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TOP_PREDATOR
posted Hide Post
I don't shoot with 7mmSTW but with 7mmremmag i found 120gr V-Max shoot ok in my rifle,but 115gr Speer HP,110grSpeerTNT work real well on rabbits and goats out to 300+ yards,i'm taking some 115gr this weekend on my Thar and Chamois hunt for Chamois

"Never in the field of human conflict
was so much owed by so many to so few." Sir Winston Churchill

Posts: 1870 | Location: Throughout the British Empire | Registered: 08 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I know the stw is an overkill, just thought I might carry 50 or so rounds for kicks ( no pun intended). Recoil is substantial, but not overbearing. I would like to see the carnage from a v-max out of a stw.

I do shoot it some from the bench, I would think I can get 1000 rounds or more and still keep hunting accuracy. Got about 400 rnds down the tube and still gets accubonds in an inch and X's in 3/4 or so.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've also used the 120 V-maxs in a 7 RM w/ great accuracy and good results on 'hogs. Very nice bullets. I'd beware the TNT's though, as I'm not sure they'll stand up to the velocity of the 7STW...

Tim

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
George Orwell

Posts: 136 | Location: The People's Republic of Maryland--Hah! | Registered: 19 April 2005Reply With Quote