THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    Tell me if this is a Coyote Track

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tell me if this is a Coyote Track
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
[IMG][url="http://www.hunt101.com/?p=243759&c=500&z=1"] [/url][/IMG]

I hope that picture comes works. Compared the the track to the lighter with a ruler and it is 2" wide.

I followed these tracks for a piece along a 4-wheeler trail. Then the tracks cut down over the hill, so when i followed them, they went right across where three deer had been bedded down, melted places in snow. The reason the track is so clear there is it stepped in the deer bed where the snow was soft and melted. I'm thinking that's no accident it left the trail it, went down there and chased the deer up, you could see the deer tripped over logs getting out of there.

Plinker

aim small, hit small

Posts: 1522 | Location: WV | Registered: 24 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I know that sort of looks like a cat track, but 2" is too big for that.

Anyway, i went back to the house and got two steel traps and a dead cat I had found. I dragged the cat for a long ways along the trail, then nailed it to a tree about 4' up. Set the steel traps at the bottom and wired the chains to some smaller trees. I hope the traps are big enough, they are muskrat traps.

Plinker

aim small, hit small

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think that Coyote tracks are ususally longer than they are wide. I would guess it is a dog track.

There is nothing that cannot be accomplished with brute force and ignorance

Posts: 145 | Location: Midwest | Registered: 14 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Plinker--Be very careful when tracking. One WV woman found a strange set of tracks and when she bent over for a closer look,a train ran over her.

Posts: 1289 | Location: San Angelo,Tx | Registered: 22 August 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of NorthTexan
posted Hide Post
Best I can tell, I would call it a coyote. Always look for the claws, if you can see them, its a dog or a coyote. If you can't, its a cat since cats have retractable claws.

Posts: 32 | Location: Woodson, Texas | Registered: 07 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
SOME Texans know about coyote tracks thumb and some only know about train tracks bull

I like NorthTexan's answer, because i want it to be a coyote. More likely Hughjass is right and it is a dog, it's sure round like a dog. But on the other hand, there's no visible claw marks and the track is detailed enough to show them if they were there. NorthTexan said claws should show on a dog or coyote. If it is a cat, then it'd have to be a bobcat to have 2" wide tracks.

Plinker

aim small, hit small

one of us
Picture of N. S. Sherlock
posted Hide Post
Not an expert but I would say coyote. What was the stride, width(l-r) track placement, overlay?

"Make yourselves sheep and the wolves will eat you" G. ned ludd

Posts: 2374 | Location: Eastern North Carolina | Registered: 27 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
[IMG][url="http://www.hunt101.com/?p=244072&c=500&z=1"] [/url][/IMG]

About 10 inches between each stride. Didn't notice the width.... They were offset but i couldn't even guess.

This picture is from yesterday. Today it was supposed to snow, but it's raining/snowing and the snow is turning slushy. I got up at 4 a.m., waited till it got light, then checked trap and nothing in it. Bummer. But i think it's a bobcat and they probably hate to get wet. Maybe tomorrow.

Plinker

aim small, hit small

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My first thought was cat,large one at that.
Redfield(the scope people) put out a dandy little booklet called the "Tracking Guide". Maybe send them an email and see if it is still available. derf

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Posts: 3450 | Location: Aldergrove,BC,Canada | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of N. S. Sherlock
posted Hide Post
I'll vote with Carpetman except it still looks like coyote tracks. Dogs don't always show nails. The surest way to know is to watch for it in a M-8 4X32 Leo.

"Make yourselves sheep and the wolves will eat you" G. ned ludd

Posts: 2374 | Location: Eastern North Carolina | Registered: 27 August 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
It's fairly easy to tell a cat from a dog when you know what to look for. The best characters, to my experience is the protruding inner toe pad and the shape of the heel pad. Claws don't always leave tracks.
http://www.bear-tracker.com/caninevsfeline.html

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies and help with this. And, Olli, that is the best site i ever saw detailing how to distinguish tracks. I'm convinced it is a bobcat. Maybe because that's what i want it to be. But also because i found some hair on a barb wire fence where it had went under. It looked like cat hair, sort of fine with some reddish/yellow hairs. Whatever it is, no luck catching it yet. Five degrees out there this morning, sort of cold to be checking traps. Most warm blooded things seemed to have enough sense to sleep in today. Wink

Plinker

aim small, hit small

one of us
posted Hide Post
Plinker--When I first saw the pic I thought the bic was placed there by you for size reference. Then I remembered you don't smoke. Coyotes,dogs etc don't smoke either. Only humans. So this was made by a human. I knew in the metamorphosis of adapting to West Virginia terrain that people grew one leg longer from always walking on a hill. Do they grow padded feet for someother adaptation?

Posts: 1289 | Location: San Angelo,Tx | Registered: 22 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Carpetman, you would make a good detective. But you were right the first time, the lighter was for reference. I don't smoke, but that's the only thing i had in my pocket. The lighter is for lighting firecrackers to scare away canada geese. Wink

Padded feet? No i don't have any padded feet.

Plinker

aim small, hit small

one of us
posted Hide Post
with a stride like that and the size of the print it's definantly a yellow lab 3 to 5 years old , one owner dog possibly in heat , IMHO

posted Hide Post
That track is not feline. It is a coyote and a good one. I have never seen a domestic dog that didn't show claws in snow like that or soft dirt. I have trapped for 37 years now, and I would bet the farm on it.

RBRN

Posts: 28 | Location: White River Bottoms | Registered: 11 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It ain't no Cat, for sure and true! I've been trapping cats for nearly 40 years and this track ain't no cat, the pad is Canine. Might be somebodys Shithound but it looks like the hind foot of a big coyote. The hind feet on Coyotes (especially an older one) make a rounder track than the front feet do. Godsdog.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, thanks to you all for your opinions on the tracks. I've got steel traps set but not catching anything in them...using some dead starlings for bait. One day one of the starlings was gone, but nothing in trap. Have to wait for another snowfall now.

Plinker

aim small, hit small

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't see claws like you would expect on a dog or Coyote .... but I also don't see the clover shaped rear pad like you'd expect on a Bobcat or other cat.

So I don't know. If I was forced to make a guess...... I'd say Bobcat. Track isn't oval like canine.

Cat vs. Dog

DaMan

Posts: 49226 | Registered: 21 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hobie
posted Hide Post
Plinker,

I'm about sure that the local library will have Fur, Fish and Game in the periodicals section. If the young boys haven't cut them up for photos of the traps and guns you should be able to find an article on making a good set for coyote.

Boil the traps, don't touch them with bare hands (get rubber gloves). There is a "wax" used to lube and protect the traps (maybe the local farm co-op can help). You can also make up a small sift box from a small wood frame and old window screen. This can be immensely helpful in creating a dry set. You should also approach the set in rubber boots (likewise to minimize scent). Lots of details that you'll do well with.

I also recommend that you set the bait so that the animal MUST go over the trap.

BTW, not just for Airgungirl, trapping is usually a licensed activity... Wink

Keep this topic going. It is right interesting.

Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson

Posts: 2324 | Location: Staunton, VA | Registered: 05 September 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Dog!

one of us
posted Hide Post
i sure wouldn't want to catch a dog... I hope you're wrong, Cougarbait.

Hobie, i saw some of that wax at the pawnshop, i might go back and pick some up and start over. The cat and starlings aren't very good bait, maybe some raw liver.

That magazine, Fur Fish and Game; haven't thought of that in years. When i was a kid i sent a dollar and received a 3-month trial subscription. My stepdad liked it so much he subscribed (he had more money than me). I mostly remember the covers. They always had nice pictures and i used to practice drawing the animals.

Plinker

aim small, hit small

One of Us
Picture of Flippy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Olli:
http://www.bear-tracker.com/caninevsfeline.html

www.bear-tracker.com

great website. really shows the difference between various animal tracks and what to look for in a general sense. they are definetly from a dog. probably from a coyote or fox.

thanks for the website

JUST A TYPICAL WHITE GUY BITTERLY CLINGING TO GUNS AND RELIGION

Definition of HOPLOPHOBIA

"I'm the guy that originally wrote the 'assault weapons' ban." --- Former Vice President Joe Biden

Posts: 1700 | Location: Lurking somewhere around SpringTucky Oregon | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of scw
posted Hide Post
I just saw this thread, I don't get in here very often anymore.

Here is a picture of fresh cougar tracks. You can see the obvious lobes to the pad and the circular arrangement of the toes. Also, no claws as has been mentioned.

Coyotes have a very tight, diamond shaped track compared to dogs. Sometimes it is hard to tell a small dog from a coyote, but the coyotes usually have a very long front-two toes and an overall tight formation. Domestic dogs are not as tight and at least out west, the coyotes are pretty small. I spose eastern coyotes can be as large.

Shane

-------------------------
I saw a girl with a shirt that said Guess, so I said Thyroid problem?

Posts: 281 | Location: Utah | Registered: 24 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dog I spend most weekends now chaseing yotes with hounds, Most yote tracks are a bit more pointed.

Posts: 19570 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote