THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    .20 Caliber bullets including Sierras new offerings.

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

.20 Caliber bullets including Sierras new offerings.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
been trying to post this and having a heck of a time, here goes nothing. .20 Caliber bullets

Bingo!! Didn't like the other photo-host.

"If a man buys a rifle at a gun show and his wife doesn't know it"...Did he really buy a rifle?
Firearm Philosophy 101. montdoug

Posts: 1181 | Location: Bozeman Montana | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Doug, Shot a couple groups with both the 32 and 39 grain Sierras today!! Mostly wanting chrony figures and accurracy was also on the list!!! The loads were stuck together VERY MUCH IN A HURRY as I was trying to get the eldest daughter to the range for a handgun test using GLOCKS.!!!
25.0 grains of Accurate2230 gave me 3645fps and .8"group from the Savage .204 and 28.3 grains of A2230using the 32 Sierras gave.5-.6"but the chrony didn't read due to failing light!!!
The 39 grain load is probably a bit light as far as what you can push it too!!! If this one is like anything else I've tried 2230 in, there is going to be a level where velocity jumps incongruently with charge weight!.......kinda like a 2 stroke engine "hitting the power band"!!! More tests to follow according to work and weather!!! GHD

Groundhog Devastation(GHD)

Posts: 2495 | Location: SW. VA | Registered: 29 July 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Looks like a good line up to me!!!!!
This last week, I picked up Remingtons(new for 2005) Rem 700 vs sf 11. This is one bad looking .204! The blackened stainless flutes are awesome. The H-S Precision stock is one to like. The palm swell fits nice, even for the left hander like me. The new polished stainless on the gun is another beautiful sight. The gun over-all is quite a piece of work.
BUT......how does it shoot? I broke the barrel in cleaning it every two shots for about 20 rounds it seems. I've had a few varmint rifles from Remington the I've messed with, but nothing shot like this gun did with the 40gr. v-max. When I got down to business, my first four 100 yd. rounds looked like a beatiful one round .40 cal. bullet! It floored me to say the least. Hope to shoot it some more when the ice quits falling in Kansas.

Posts: 25 | Location: S.Central Kansas | Registered: 24 July 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Where did you get the Sierras? Everybody I do business with is either out or not stocking them yet.

one of us
posted Hide Post
LD, I got mine from Bill Bergkamp who posts here a bit. He had them listed either here or 'gogovarmints' classifieds! Check it out he may have some more!!! GHD

Groundhog Devastation(GHD)

Posts: 2495 | Location: SW. VA | Registered: 29 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Graf & Sons had the 32 gr. Sierra bullets in stock this morning, but now when I went to their Web site they are sold out again.

Catch ya L8R

Posts: 192 | Location: Northwest North Dakota | Registered: 19 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 17rem
posted Hide Post
Sure, Sierra won't make,nor has ever made a .17 cal bullet, even though the .17 rem has been out since 1971, and the .17 mach IV is very popular, and there's all sorts of .17cal rounds out there.
Then one single .20cal round comes out, and sierra's instantly on the bandwagon.
Reminds me of the .17 rimfire marketing hype.
Roll Eyes
I don't give sierra or Speer anymore of my business, due to the fact they don't produce a .17 cal bullet.
Hornady get's all my business for all my rifle reloading.

Religion is for those who fear hell, Spirituality is for those who have been there...

Posts: 43 | Location: e.WA | Registered: 26 December 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
hay guys shot a .25 in. group 200 yard with my ruger 204 today.its a ss varment heavy barrell.using 40gr beger moly coated.its a shame i have a custom 22br that will do the same thing but have alot more money in it.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Williamhill: Wow! Fantastic shooting there at 200 yards! I also went shooting today (in the Chinook Winds of SW Montana - shot 220 Swift and 17 Remington!). And I did not do nearly as well as your great shooting!
My Ruger SS Varminter (77 V/T) also likes the Berger bullets! But I have only tried the 35 gr. Bergers in it so far!
I also am impressed with the outstanding accuracy and performance I am getting from my pair of 22 Remington Bench Rest Varminters! I have publicly stated many times in the past that this cartridge is one of the top three BEST all around Varmint cartridges of all time!
And I know that is saying a lot!
There is a chance that the 204 Ruger cartridge MAY break into that elite group though! I need another season under my belt with it to establish more performance in the field! Its already proven its inherent accuracy and its flat trajectory to me. A little more field performance/observations and I will then consider its inclusion!
Long live the 204 Ruger!
Its never a shame when two Rifles shoot so notably well! Even if one costs a lot more than the other!
By the way welcome aboard the Varmint Hunting Forum (if I haven't welcomed you already!)
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote