THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    HOW DO YOU GET COYOTES TO STAND STILL?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

HOW DO YOU GET COYOTES TO STAND STILL?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I just started coyote hunting and when we call them in the coyotes never stop running or trotting fast. Its hard taking running shots with a bolt action but I think emptying my ar-15s 30 round mag is not very sporting. I tried using my rabbit in distress call when their in sight but it bolted as soon as it herd it.I can shoot ground squirrels at 100 yds (from a standing position) while their running with my 17 hmr but I get so worked up when I see a coyote I cant see straight.my hunting buddy will take a semi-auto 12 gauge (buck shot) for back up but i want to nail them with my cz 527 .223.thank you

one of us
posted Hide Post
trashcanman, Try a mouse squeeker to get them to stop! They sometimes seem to "can't resist" the little squeek of the smallest rodents! Several companies have them available. Just a little rubber bulb that when you squeeze it emits a "mouse" squeek. I slept at a Holiday Inn Exress last nite!

Posts: 2495 | Location: SW. VA | Registered: 29 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Simply whisling loudly with your own lips sure will stop them ,as will shouting HEY!!!

I am NOT kidding! I've had to do the same thing with buck deer trooting straight at me along a scent trail before.

There are two downsides to this-1) you'd better be ready to shoot QUICK as soon as the animal realizes those rabbit sounds have been coming from a human. 2) because of #1,it ruins a chance to get any more 'yotes to come in on that stand.

I once was "cruising" a few section lines at dusk in Southern Alberta with a few calls and a Camera during early September.The "wee lass" I was with(pretty strawberry blonde Canadian 19 year old) simply could not believe I could get coyotes to come to a call.While we were running an east west road that evening I spotted two coyotes heading west parallel to the road about a half mile north of us.I figured to cut them off at the next section line.

The girl knew the ranch owners,so I wheeled the truck around,and sped to a point on the road where I thought the Coyotes were headed to. We parked just bellow the ranch corrals and walked in the section a bit down the wire fence running to toward the corral.The wind was in our favor and I figured the coyotes were still a good half mile away upwind.Perfect.

We sat down by a big fence post and after a full good belts on my open reed call,HERE THEY COME,straight down the fence row toward us a a DEAD RUN! Man, it looked like a "Gravy Train" dog food commercial! I could tell by the glazed expressions on the Coyotes faces they had bought the "dyin' rabbit act" hook ,line and sinker!

Well, thinking quickly I decided to let Patty(the girl) get an "Upclose and personal" veiw of a bloodthirsty 'yote bent on a free Rabbit dinner.I waited until they were less than 25 yards away before standing up and shouting HEY!Those coyotes nearly did backflips trying to get stopped and once they did ,they just stood there for about five seconds in a state of canine shock.What I would have given for a good 22-250 about then!

The whole thing was a blast.My plan worked as predicted,Patty got to see some Coyotes get called in and nobody got hurt in the process.

I never did get any pics though....

one of us
posted Hide Post
Great story Sharps--

When i need to stop coyotes i usually bark at them-- works most of the time and i think probably because it confuses them since I don't think they really expect it especially if they don't see another dog standing there. But if it doesn't work, such as some particlarly intent hard chargers that u will get sometimes, growl at them loudly-- that almost always works-- almost always. After u shoot a coyote, or shoot at one try letting him get out aways and then give out a high-pitched ki-yi (hurt squealling dog). That frequently will get them to take one last look back.

Posts: 926 | Location: pueblo.co | Registered: 03 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
I am one of the "barkers". I use the lip-squeak to get them in that last 100 yards or so if they hang up in the bush.

Bob

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've tried a number of different things but the very best, and most consistent little trick i've tried is the squeker like GHD mentioned. ELK sells them and are advertised in Varmint Hunter Magazine. I usually hang it on my Stoney Point Shooting stick, once I sit down, and its always ready. Its quite and a Coyote will almost always "slam on the brakes" as soon as he hears it...Hey, it works for me. George

"Thats my story and I'm sticking to it."

Posts: 142 | Location: Jaccksonville, N. C. | Registered: 10 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sharpmam, Why don't you tell us the rest of the story about the pretty little canadian 19year old lass! ! !

Posts: 142 | Location: Jaccksonville, N. C. | Registered: 10 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
I usually let them get pretty close before I try to stop them. ( sometimes to close!) When I do want to stop them I use a squeek sound made by sucking air in past my lips. Almost like a kiss sound, so I call it blowing them a kiss of death. It works very well on a charger as they seem to be headed past me anyway and may not expect the sound so close.

Bobcat also mentioned lip squeeking to coax them in the last bit. If that is needed then continuing the sound may not stop them. A low whistle in this case has worked for me.

I don't like messing with calls once there getting close. The movment of putting a hand call away, or the humidity of my breath freezing up a coaxer have developed this in me I guess.

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Whistling or saying (not yelling) "hey!" will definitely work but, as posted, be ready to shoot. And it only works once per coyote. If you shoot and miss or he gets away because you're not ready, he will never come to the same set again and if he ever hears a whistle, he'll find another gear of gitgone.

Posts: 2037 | Location: frametown west virginia usa | Registered: 14 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ricochet
posted Hide Post
Shoot 'em and they'll lie still.

Posts: 1325 | Location: Bristol, Tennessee, USA | Registered: 24 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I too am in the sqeeker and barker category, it works well around here.

Great story sharps, I could tell about a time I had a gal out on a dinner date and ended up calling a big old black bear. it made for a very interesting night......

"GET TO THE HILL"

Dogz

Posts: 879 | Location: Bozeman,Montana USA | Registered: 31 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cummins cowboy
posted Hide Post
get the little squeeker that ELK sells. It sounds almost like a kids toy. It has a lanyard attachment that attaches to your rifles sling, a calling rifle is not complete without one. It works great for stoping the yotes or bringing them in slow if for some reason they are hung up. My friends have also called in dogs with just the squeeker.

Posts: 1755 | Location: slc Ut | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My experience mirrors that of Bob in TX. I use lip squeaking to bring them in for a closer shot. I have found that sometimes, the lip squeaking brings them in at a rather rapid pace--a lot faster than I would like. I will then resort to using my voice to "bark" at them. That usually gets them to stop. But, like an earlier poster said, you had better be ready to shoot when you bark, because they may stand for a second or two and then turn and start trotting away.

Posts: 192 | Location: Northwest North Dakota | Registered: 19 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That's why I never mentioned the lip/mouse squeek. Many times it just makes them come in quicker or has no effect at all.Sometimes the Coyotes are SO much into "KILL" mode that they litterally have to be shaken from their adrenaline induced trance! Shouting like a human sure wakes 'em up!

As to Patty,(the girl in my story) we spent a few pleasant months together in 1987 when I was in Alberta doing some ranch work.She was a real sweatheart and I am glad those Coyotes really put on a show for her!!

I still wished I'd had a good 22-250 when I called 'em in though.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Just 1 question-- which would u have rather had the 22-250 or the 19 y.o.?

Posts: 926 | Location: pueblo.co | Registered: 03 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tough question..

I would rather have BOTH!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Just 1 question-- which would u have rather had the 22-250 or the 19 y.o.?

The 22-250 will hold it's value better and be much cheeper!

Posts: 906 | Location: NW OH | Registered: 19 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of pdhntr1
posted Hide Post
trashcanman,

There are some other methods I am working on but haven't worked out the "bugs" yet.

Traps work to a certain extent, but you still can get some movement, especially when they take off with your trap because the stake pulled out.

One of those dog shock collars works great. As soon as they start to run you zap them. They eventually learn to stand still. The down side is getting the collar on them without getting bit. The rabies serum is expensive, (don't ask me how I know) The up side is, when you aren't "training" coyotes you can use it on your kids...

Cement works, but still having problems getting them to stand in it long enough for the cement to set up.

Tried Super Glue, but getting all four legs to "lock up" is a problem. Make SURE you have alot of Super Glue dissolver, not for the coyote, but I found it is almost impossible to shoot a gun when both hands are glued together.

So there ya go, the methods in the other posts work great but I thought you might like to try something different. Hope this helps.

Later, pdhntr

Posts: 731 | Location: NoWis. | Registered: 04 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
PDHuntr,

Nice list,let's not forget strichnine laced horse carcases.They tend to make 'yotes "heel" pretty well,too..

As to 19year old girls vs a good varmint rifle-

Patty is still in Canada and I still own good 22-250!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Trashcanman: I have a smallish mouse squeker that attaches to whatever Rifle I am using via an elastic band. I attach it to the forearm of the Rifle so I can use my thumb to squeeze it when I have sight alignment with the incoming Coyotes. It usually just takes one push on the mouse squeeker with the thumb to stop the Coyotes. I have it installed just in front of where my left thumb rests on the forearm while shooting so absolute minimum of movement is needed to sound this call and rerest the thumb for an immediate shot. I have had this so long I have forgotten the brand name of it and have not seen an attaching model squeaker in some time at the stores. I have other mouse squeakers but this one is attachable and moving the thumb just an inch activates it and the shot can be instantaneously taken with no other body movement.

If they stop naturally out at 200 yards or closer I usually will shoot then.

Good luck but try the mouse squeaker banded to your forearm as it has sure worked well for me for a long time.

Hold into the wind

VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote