New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which varmit rifle?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
My brother is graduating college and I am looking to buy him a varmit rifle. We live in the south, so the only varmits we hunt are coyote and paper. I have a 22-250 and love it, but what caliber would you guys suggest? The 204 looks promising, but it may be a little light for long range yotes. The 22-250 just seems to fit our needs the best, .243 might work but we shoot a lot and the 22 caliber is much more fun to shoot to me.

As for the rifle, he likes heavy rifles so I'm thinking either a VLS or possibly a Savage. I've never owned a Savage, so I need a little advice on which Model to help me narrow it down before visiting the gun shop. Money is an issue so I hope to keep it below $650.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't know if your $650 limit includes optics or not.

If it does, a Savage is definitely the way to go.

If you have the $650 for just the rifle,I would decide between a Remington m700, a Savage m10, a Ruger m77 or a Winchester m70 varmint.All four guns are American made and generally very accurate. The thing is the stocks ,triggers safeties and actions feel a bit different all all of them.

Coyote rifles ,even though heavy,should still point and handle well as you are often shooting quickly from a hurried rest.So personal choice as to the gun's feel is very important.

For 'yotes and targets my own choice would be a M700 VS or VLS Remington in a 22-250.For sheer value,I would look hard at a Heavy barreled Savage.

one of us
Picture of Swede44mag
posted Hide Post
For the money check out a heavy barrel Savage with an accu-trigger, but I personally use Remington�s. I had a .243 Remington it shot very well killed many P-Dogs but I did not see my hits due to muzzle jump since I have went back to the 22-250 Remington 700� Sendero� SF .

Posts: 1608 | Location: Central, Kansas | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For the value I would look at the Savage 12BVSS with accutrigger. As pictured below

That is the 12BVSS in 22-250. I have been shooting that rifle since last October and could not be happier. I sold a remington ADL in 22-250 and bought that rifle.

I can not believe how well this rifle shoots. I have not done anything to this rifle and it just plan shoots. It is like the hand of god reaching out and striking down the coyotes. I have shot them out to 365 yrds so far. I was never able to do that with the old remington.

I love this rifle.

Graylake

Posts: 187 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta | Registered: 15 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would take a look at the cz varminters with either a laminate stock or hs stock...they also make a traditional blues walnut model if you like that.

I have 5 cz's with a 6th on the way and they are brilliant IMHO.

I have rem vssf 22/250 in hs stock that I may sell for a cz 22/250, my rem shoots good but I like the rugged feel of the cz's.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Justin B I am in the same boat as you But I think I have made up my mind on the rifle. My problem is the scope . I shoot p\d and need magnification but cost is a factor . Bushnell, Simmons, BSA, Tasco all make scopes from 18-24 power but are they adequate and will they last. It is my opinion that if I can buy anything to hunt or fish with that doesn't hurt me much it is probably not too good. I wonder about the Burris varmint powered scopes does anyone like them for P\d shooting distances,or is the a better scope out there I need to know about.

one of us
posted Hide Post
redriver, I think you would find one of the Bushnell Elite 4200's in 6x24 to be rugged enough for your varminting needs! It's not el cheapo but it's el goodo!!! Less than $400.00 for a quality scope that will serve you for a long time! GHD

Posts: 2495 | Location: SW. VA | Registered: 29 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I concour with GroundHog D's take on the Bushnell 4200 6-24 Elite!

As with all the other Bushnell 4200's, the 6-24 is a true bargain in the $350 + scope class.Simply superb.They should be,they are the same basic Japanese made scopes Bushnell put the Bausch and Lomb name on for many years!!!

If you can't swing the cash for the Bushnell Elite,I would look into two scopes.Either a Swift 6-18 Premier target model(about $200) or a Simmons 44Mag 6.5 -20 w target turrets(about $175).Both are great scopes for the $$ spent ,tough enough for any Varmint rig and have Great warrantees should anything go wrong.

I just put a the Simmons 6.5-20 on my Remington VLS.Just today we got a new Burris 8-32 Signature scope in the shop.

I cranked them both up to 20x and did a little comparison.

The Simmons actually was a wee bit brighter to my eyes and just as clear.

It aint'a Bushnell 4200 Elite,but it's pretty close at 1/2 the cost.Heck,if you look through a 1" Tubed Leupold Variable of the same power range,you will find even THEY don't compare optically to the Elite!!And sadly these days,Leupold service is no better(and sometimes not as good) as Swift's,Simmon's or Bushnell's!

Sad but true..

posted Hide Post
Which reticle do you recommend on the bushnell4200? The multi-X looks a little coarse for P\D at 300yrds. What about the dot it might be too coarse also?. You could give some insight here. Have any of you used the Fixed powered scopes like the Weaver I looked at in 18,24,or36 power?What would they be like to shoot P\D where you have all the time necesary to aim. I can see the drawbacks to any other type of shooting . Are these scopes clear ,do they hold up? Thanks for your replys.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I've got a 4200 6-24 and agree that it's a GREAT scope, need info though, the instructions that come with it is a little light on the turret adjustment. How does the resettable zero work. Thinking about a PD hunt, and would like to be able to click up and down for the longer shots instead of Kentucky elevation. Will have to take my glasses along though, the markings are faily small for an old blind guy!

Posts: 339 | Location: SE Kansas | Registered: 05 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Red River,

Bushnell offers three reticles for the 4200 6-24:a mildot,a 1/4 MOA dot an the multi-x.

Reticle size is all relative to the target you are aiming at.With a high powered variable,you can simply enlarge the image making the reticle appear finer in relationship to the target.
My current 4200 6-24 has the dot.It subtends 1/4 MOA at 24x and I like it a lot.I have seen the multi X reticles and they don't look very thick in the 6-24 as Bushnell knows it is a target/varmint scope.

As to specific reticle subtensions at various powers,I would call the Bushnell Customer Service dept.in KS @ (913)-752-6112.Ask for Dr.Cross or another tech and tell them your question.They can help you with specifics.

Ole 270, Dr. Cross or one of his assistants can also help youn with your turret questions..You may also have some advice for Redriver about the reticles..

one of us
posted Hide Post
I've never really checked the size of the reticle in relation to target size at various distances. In the time I've had it I've mainly shot paper with it, and rarely further than 200 yards. Many times though, I use price stickers from Wally's that are 3/4" dia. in various colors. Stick them to copy paper and blaze away. The stickers show up real well behind the crosshairs at 200. Shouldn't be supprised as several times I have been startled by a "bullet hole" that showed up away from the group and turned out to be a fly(real bug hole group!).

Posts: 339 | Location: SE Kansas | Registered: 05 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My most recent varmint rig is a Remington VLS in 6mm Rem. with a Bushnell Elite 6x24 on top. I love the scope. The clarity is terrific. I'm not all that wild about the rifle though. It's on the heavy side with the laminated stock. It's far from a cheap rifle, yet I had to shell out a couple hundred bucks extra to get the action glass bedded, the barrel floated and to get rid of the gawd-awful trigger.
I want the rifle ready to go. Lately I get the idea that we are buying kits to complete ourselves. If I had it to do over I think I'd go with a Tikka or CZ varmint rifle.
Just one mans opinion. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

Posts: 1866 | Location: Montreal, Canada | Registered: 01 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Cal,

When was your Remington built?? I think the 6mm is a FINE larger Varmint/small deer rig rig.Did it shoot well when you got it all tuned up??

Also,to answer some of these gents qualms about the Bushnell 4200 6-24s,how to you like the reticle in yours?

one of us
posted Hide Post
redriver and old 270, The 6x24 I have has a mil-dot reticle and I haven't really used it as it was meant to be used. I still adjust up and down and I will agree that the numbers are a bit small for someone with "TMB" ocular disease......that's "Too Many Birthdays" disease! Last night I dialed it to 1100 and shot(yes I missed the groundhog...but it was close but close don't count in nothing but hand grenades, horseshoes and lovin!) dialed it back down and proceeded to hit dead on where it was supposed to at 100 yards! It is repeatable! If Bushnell would make a good set of target turrets(ie, Leupold or Nikon or even Stony Points) it would be the perfect varmint scope! GHD

one of us
Picture of DMCI*
posted Hide Post
I recently had an opportunity to shoot squirrels in the Bitterroot valley of Montana near Hamilton. The group that I shoot with encourages the use of .17HMR because of reduced noise and reduction in possibility of ricochet.

The rifle made within 20 miles of there is the Cooper 57 which is a really fine rifle, and absolutely a joy to shoot out to 250 yards.

Scope has a MOA reticle and a 22 moa .25moa per click knob.

D.

PS: Then there was that cheeky SOB that insisted on sitting on an irrigation pipe at about 40 yards.

Posts: 2821 | Location: Left Coast | Registered: 23 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
These guys are right on. A Savage with a Weaver V-16 will put you right in the ballpark. Plus have money for dies, loaded ammo and maybe some beer. If you skip the beer dies and loaded ammo. That 4200 would be sweet. If it was me I would give the 204 a hard look. I have a 22-250700VS that shoots, but mine might get sold for a 20cal.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Cal, Old buddy, old pal! The rifle that my 6x24 Elite sits on is a VLS in 6mm! Did bed the action, did do the trigger and did that myself. So no extra money spent thereon. The thing loves 39.0 grains of VARGET and 87 grain VMAXS out to about 700 yards.....then they are over stabilzed..tend to run out of steam and start "falling with gravity" instead of "flying"! HOWEVER!!!!! It also likes the 105AMAXS in front of 51 grains of H1000 snd will send them flying pretty darn true out to 1100-1200 yards! Wish I had killed that groundhog last night at 1109!! But missed his head by mere inches!!! Dialed the 4200 back down and shot a litty bitty 100 yard group!
ANOTHER HOWEVER!!!! The .204 is a varmint hunters dream machine!!! No recoil! Ballistics out to about 400-450 on par with the 22-250 and the SWIFT and a pleasant little number to use.....did I mention NO RECOIL as in "watch the bullet hit him" as my 15 year old daughter said a couple weeks ago when she popped a hog at 219 yards with the NIKON 6.5-20 Monarch set on 20X? Let us know what you settle on! There are more great factory guns out there than ever before and more great optics too! GHD

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'd go with the CZ 223 with the HS Precision stock. I have one that is an honest 1/2" gun with handloads. I'm pretty sure it was less than $650. It's bone stock, with no work needed to the trigger etc. I also have a Bushnell Elite 4200 scope on it. It is a good scope, clear and bright, but I have a problem with the "lime" green numbers on the parallax adustment and it seems "slippery" to adjust the parallax and the magnification. I would recommend looking at the Weaver Grand Slam for about the same money. I have one on another gun and it appears to be just as good but it has a rubber coating on the parallax and magnification rings which make it easier to adjust.

Posts: 54 | Location: Middle Georgia | Registered: 20 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jpb
posted Hide Post
I don't have anything to say regarding the rifle except that the .22-250 is great coyote medicine (I haven't always lived in Sweden!), but I will chip in with a few words regarding the scope...

If you can swing it, the Bushnell 6-24x 4200 series is a great scope. I have compared it to the similar Weaver Grand Slam, and the Bushnell was much clearer. Perhaps there is some variation among Weaver scopes though, because others above said they were similar.

I can tell you the Bushnell 6-24x is a tough scope! I have mine on a .358 Norma mag that kicks worse than my .375 H&H and it has survived hundreds of rounds.

The only disadvantage of the Bushnell 4200 Elite is that the windage and elevation adjustments are not huge. Use Burris Signature rings to mount it and you will solve that problem though even if your receiver may not be perfectly drilled and tapped. Also, these rings hold a heavy scope like grim death without marking it!

jpb

Posts: 1006 | Location: northern Sweden | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I looked at the Remington VLS today and it's nice. My brother already has a Coyote so I am looking for something different. I've heard good things about the savage, but their action just feels rough and sloppy. I guess it doesn't matter if they plain shoot. Most of the guns he owns have a laminated stock, so I will probably go with a synthetic on this one. Sounds like the 22-250 is going to be caliber, now which rifle. The VS looks good, but does anybody have any experience with the savage FV? The 650 is just for the gun, so the savage may be the winner.

one of us
Picture of Swede44mag
posted Hide Post
Where did you get the swivel rifle rest with the seat looks pretty cool. Is it very steady to shoot from?

Posts: 1608 | Location: Central, Kansas | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of yotecaller
posted Hide Post
I would go with a new Savage in 22-250.And put a Bushnell on her.

Posts: 345 | Location: NH | Registered: 24 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Justin B...It looks like you have the rifle thing pretty well cornered, but I would give a look at the Sightron 6-24x42 scope. I already shoot two 4200's in 6-24x40. but have just recently put the Sightron on a CZ 527 varmint in 223. It has the clearest picture I have ever seen. The other advantage is it is quite a bit shorter and not as bulky. I love this scope and have several shooting friends who have also gone to this scope with no regrets. There is lots of good stuff out there, just thought I would throw in my Two cents worth....Ken

Posts: 42 | Location: minnesota | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mike_elmer
posted Hide Post
I noticed in your original post you asked about Burris Scopes. I have 3 of them, and I am very satisfied with their performance. I have the Burris Signature 6-24 with the adjustable light apperature, posi lock, paralex adjustment, and sun shade. It's a massive scope that cost more than the Savage f110 tactical I have it mounted on!! The clarity is as good or better than Leupold, especially in low light situations; the adjustable apperature works.

I also have a 3-10 (?) Signature with posi lock on another rifle. Again, very clear and precise scope. It doesn't have the adjustable apperature, but it doesn't seem to need it.

Finally, I have a Burris Compact 3-9 on my 35 Whelen. Its an awesome set up. I think the Compact cost me a little over $300... and is worth every penny. This one doesn't have the posi lock on it, and I can honestly say, I don't miss it on this rifle. The posi lock is supposed to keep the cross hairs from moving with heavy recoiling caliber Rifles. The Whelen hasn't caused a problem, so it would have to be hellish recoil to cause the reticles to move!!!

I have a couple of Bushnells also. In the fixed power scopes, the clarity is fine, but I have a Bushnell variable 3-12 that leaves a little to be desired. It works, but I would choose differently if I had to do it again.

Well, that's about all I have to tell ya.

Posts: 8421 | Location: adamstown, pa | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Savage -
I traded a 700 ADL w/ HS stock in .223 for Savage 12(heavy 26", fluted bbl) w/ Sharpshooter trigger(1.5lb) in .308.
The savage shoots incredible. I had that 700 shooting really good w/ a couple handloads. The Savage I havent loaded for yet, but just ran Federal Match throught it.
What you hear about Savage accuracy is true. I now have 3 Savage guns. One is and old 110 in 22-250. Its was a little finickey w/ factory loads. Handloading, I have a 50gr Noslet BT at 3758, into .5moa.

Posts: 90 | Location: albany,ny,usa | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote