THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    Hornady 58 gr. V-max and the 243 Winchester

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hornady 58 gr. V-max and the 243 Winchester
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of 41rem
posted
Just picked-up a box of these little hummers. The 75 gr. V-max shot pretty good, but I think they will exit on a coyote hide. Thinking I'll try Varget, Imr-4895 and some WW 760 in my heavy bbl. M-70. Any fav. coyote/varmint loads out thier...? 41

Posts: 54 | Location: Hurricane Ridge, Wa. | Registered: 03 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I shoot these in a sporter weight 243 that was my favorite coyote rifle (until a nice lightweight 257AI came along). I used AA 2460 and kept the velocity down to about 3600fps. Great groups, mild load and coyotes don't have a chance. Ed

Posts: 161 | Location: Seattle - temporarily! | Registered: 04 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
41rem,
I've been using the 58 gr. V-MAX for some time now. I use them in the 6mm BR at about 3650fps and I have hunted Coyotes all over the US and Canada with them.. They are real killers. I also have a .243 win. on a 700 Action, 14" twist #4 barrel in an H-S Precision stock, set up just for the 58 gr./ 55 gr/ 65 gr. bullets. I had the reamer set up with zero freebore and I use 44 grains of Varget with moly coated 58 gr. bullets!! Velocity is about 3900 in a 23" barrel. I've tried other powders, but I get the very best accuracy and lowest Standard Deviation with Varget..The longest shot I made with it was on a Groundhog at 576 yds. while my wife was watching.....I think you'll like them for Coyotes, they are like a bomb!

Posts: 142 | Location: Jaccksonville, N. C. | Registered: 10 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I'm shooting the 58 grainers with 44 grains of IMR4064. This load gets me 3800 fps and .6" groups out of a shot-out Savage 110 and turns ground squirrels into red chunky rain.

Posts: 12688 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Varget was the powder I used with these bullets this summer. I used 45.0 gr. of Varget with CCI200 primers in WW brass. I was getting 3,651 fps and shooting 3-shot groups with all the bullet holes touching. This was with a sporter weight barrel on an old M77 Ruger .243. It is absolutley amazing how much damage those 58 gr. V-Max bullets do to a prairie dog. It almost totally disintegrates them if they are 100 yards or closer!!! I only shot 4 shots with it and bagged 6 prairie dogs!!! I haven't tried those loads on coyotes.

Posts: 192 | Location: Northwest North Dakota | Registered: 19 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Try 51 grains of h380 and winchester brass. This works very well out of my remington 700.

Posts: 485 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 17 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 41rem
posted Hide Post
Thanks to all, Silverfox and or Fjold , do you remember your OAL on your reloaded 58 gr. V-max?? I'm @ 2.70" now, but with that little boattail it only leaves about 1/8" of the pill in the case neck. I'd like to keep the OAL as long as possible, without getting into problems with ammo in the magazine during recoil.......41 Btw Fjold that girl of your makes it hard to stay focused...

Posts: 54 | Location: Hurricane Ridge, Wa. | Registered: 03 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
41rem--your OCL of 2.70" is a bit longer than my OCL of 2.613". My OCL probably won't help you much since it is unlikely the distance from the base of the case to the lands in my rifle is the same as that distance in your rifle.

Posts: 192 | Location: Northwest North Dakota | Registered: 19 June 2004Reply With Quote