Find
Notify
Tools

South Dakota Dogs
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of packrattusnongratus
posted
I went to south central South Dakota a while back. We went for prairie dogs. It was a first for all three of us. What a blast! We got few shots with the .22 rimfire. They were smart I guess. But with the .17 rimfire Mag out to 300+ yards they seemed to be accessable. We were in a sort of bowl about 400 yards deep so the wind was moderated except for one day. I tried my .223 minimauser after the .22 rimfire failed to reach and beat the wind. It is a standard weight barrel gun and didn't seem to be bothered much by heating up. Next year I will use my heavy barrelled .25-06. We went to one other 600 yard deep field but had high winds that day. Access was stopped the rest of that week due to the rain. The owner was such a gentleman that we didn't use the 4X4 and risk tearing up the access road. WE shot lots of dogs and had a great time. One of my buds had just survived cancer a year ago and I wouldn't trade our hunt together for anything. We all graduated from highschool together in '70. All in all a great trip. Even the rainy day trip to Sturgis was cool. Later Packrattusnongratus

one of us
posted Hide Post
packrat you have a pm

shooter

Posts: 77 | Location: the flint hills of oz | Registered: 27 January 2002Reply With Quote