THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    The New Serria 123 gr Match King Bullet

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The New Serria 123 gr Match King Bullet
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of arrccod
posted
I was wondering if anyone has started loading the new Serria 6.5 123 Gr Matchking bullet. Was wondering if anyone had any powder/weight recomendations??? Oh yeah.....its in Cooper Model 22 in 6.5 X 284.

Thanks
Arrccod/Bill

Feared by all. Respected by none.

Posts: 28 | Location: Scranton,PA | Registered: 26 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
I shoot a Hart barreled 6.5/284 and would strongly recomend IMR 4350 or similar burn rate powder.

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am wondering why Sierra is launching a 123 grain bullet, when they have a 120 grain Match bullet...

Since it is the exact same grain weight as Lapua, sure seems to be copying their competitor.... as the competitor must be making some serious dent in their business...

Kinda sad, Sierra is choosing to follow instead of lead...

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by seafire/B17G:
I am wondering why Sierra is launching a 123 grain bullet, when they have a 120 grain Match bullet...

Since it is the exact same grain weight as Lapua, sure seems to be copying their competitor.... as the competitor must be making some serious dent in their business...

Kinda sad, Sierra is choosing to follow instead of lead...

I suppose when it comes to competition that extra 3 grs might be significant, cant really say. But they are clearly trying to accomodate 6.5/284 users. Not nessecarily failing to lead, just going where the niche is.

I may have to try some of those in my 260 just for shits an giggles..

Posts: 10138 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by seafire/B17G:
I am wondering why Sierra is launching a 123 grain bullet, when they have a 120 grain Match bullet...QUOTE]

Seafire, I'll assume that you like me shoot just about anything that will go bang or boom. That being the case, just think about Sierra's other offerings in this caliber: the 140 MK and the 142 MK. Those are two very different bullets. I don't think that Lapua is leading the way for Sierra on this one, I think that shooters are demanding more of this bore size!

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I spoke with Paul Box at Sierra today and asked him about this bullet also...

they are not planning on discontinuing the 120 grain Match King...

He described this bullet as looking more like the 140 grainers..

BC on the 120, was given as 0.421... but the BC on the 123 grainer was given as 0.510....

So it should be a lot flatter shooting bullet at extended ranges with a one in 9 twist, than the 120s and will stabilize as the 140s won't always stabilize with a one in 9 in some calibers...

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
Could be the 6.5 has gained enough of a following that they simply are looking to expand thier profits. The Grendel, 6.5BR, and the .260 have all added to the interest. For one thing I think I read that the 123 is about max for OAL in the magazine for the Grendel. Then there's the 6.5x47? Lapua was /is coming out with too.
The increase in BC with only the 3gr increase in wieght may be partially the profile. It may be sleeker and longer but only a few grains heavier, kind-of a VLD version. I have not seen them yet. Nate

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have shot the 107 Match Kings at 600 yds, and they did a pretty darn good job in my book...

I need to order some Lapua 108s, 123s and 139s...

I have heard their 139 match bullet has an unbelievable BC....it would be a good candidate in my 6.5 x 57 and my 6.5 x 55.. both on long actions where I can seat longer bullets out there...