New
Find
Notify
Tools

.308 for Varmint Hunting?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I just bought a Savage 12FLV ( a left-handed 26" varmint barrel) I put a Bushnell 8x32x40AO Elite 4200 scope on it. I'm still breaking it in, one shot at a time.

My question is what bullet and what load would be accurate and fun (ie. not a lot of recoil) to shoot all day at dogs and coyotes?

Buy the way, lest I be thought not to be sane, I have and use my 22-250, 22-250AI, 243, and 270. Just thought this might be fun, I spend a lot of time on the West Deserts of Utah, no worry about backstop.

Ideas gladly accepted.........

One of Us
Picture of short44
posted Hide Post
Try the 110 gr varmiter HP not the best BC but way explosive even in a 30-30.

110gr HP

Dwindling the worlds lead supply one cat at a time!!

Posts: 407 | Location: Right here ! | Registered: 10 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Old Elk Hunter
posted Hide Post
If you want something heavier than the excellent 110 grainers try the 130 gr Hornady HP. I see that there is also a Speer 125 gr TNT - that should be very effective. I shoot any cheap bullet of 150grains or less in the 308 for varmints. I have found the 130 softnose bullets intended for the 30-30 to work well on whacking desert dogs.

RELOAD - ITS FUN!

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
The 125 grain Ballistic Tip is the first thing to come to mind. It has a high BC for the weight and generally shoots extremely well with virtually any load you can concoct. However, the 150 grain BT shoots virtually as flat and begins to show its advantages when the ranges get long.

I have not been impressed by the consistency (or lack thereof) of the TNTs. Some lots shoot very well while others are so-so.

Also, bullets in the 100-110 grain range may be impressive in terms of 100 - 200 yard accuracy, but they can't hold a candle to the heavier projectiles at longer distances.

As to long shooting sessions with the .308 WCF, even light bullet loads will get to you after a full day of shooting, although the cartridge is anything but abusive, especially in that heavy-barreled Savage.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9397 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of pdhntr1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Buy the way, lest I be thought not to be sane, I have and use my 22-250, 22-250AI, 243, and 270. Just thought this might be fun, I spend a lot of time on the West Deserts of Utah, no worry about backstop.

CoolHunt,

Sanity is a relative term when it comes to varmint hunting/shooting. Actually I think you might be a little under-gunned. Big Grin

I shoot a 300 Winmag (at pds) quite a bit. The most accurate I have found (of the lightest) is the 110 V-max. Above 3700 fps they can come apart, but you will likely be under that. I would start with the V-max. You may not have to look any farther.

Jim

Please be an ethical PD hunter, always practice shoot and release!!

Praying for all the brave souls standing in harms way.

Posts: 731 | Location: NoWis. | Registered: 04 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Guys ----- It seems I'm sane after all, at least in my desire for a little larger round for the little dawgs. You've given me a number of choices to think about. Who knowns maybe I'll buy a 300 win.. I don't think my long distance bill will go up that much? However, I might have to find a new place to hang the receiver if my wife finds out.......

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Can the 110 gr bullets shoot as good as the 125's ?? I have heard a lot of people say they can not get the lighter bullets to shoot in the .308's I am considering a cz 550 Varmint Laminate in .308 and would like to shoot lighter bullets as I want to use it out the window while spotlighting, sometimes the 22/250 lacks if you need to take a body shot.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of short44
posted Hide Post
quote:
Australia
? Hell that sounds like hunting redneck style here in the south....on the most part 95-110 do not shoot real good in 308s but do in 30-30s, the 125gr NBT shoot VERY well, but if the shots are 150 yoards or less I would still say the 125 gr Sierra HP or the 110gr Speer Varminter HP loaded mild to luck warm...

one of us
posted Hide Post
The Sierra 110 grain Hollow point is an accurate and explosive bullet.

Leftists are intellectually vacant, but there is no greater pleasure than tormenting the irrational.

Posts: 2899 | Registered: 24 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Short 44 thanks for that, how explisive have you found the 125 gr NBT's to be ??

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've got a good choice of bullets to pick from now. I wonder what kind of load or velocity you try and push these? I'm not to concerned with top velocity, unless that's where you get you best accuracy. I have that with some of the other calibers that I have. I'd like some accurate loads or powders, primers, OAL, etc., that you've had the best luck with. How do you get good seating and stay close to the lands with such short bullets?

One of Us
Picture of short44
posted Hide Post
Well its not easy to get them close to the lands just out as far as you can and still get good neck grip. Never shot a 308 but in my 30-06 the NBT you can push as fast as a 06 can, I think I got 3100 fps and they vaperised turtels at 200 yards, they wher the most accurate. Loaded the Sierra 125 gr (30-30 bullet) in the 06 and was very good, and good accurate. But the Speer 110 was the most explosive, but not very accurate, the best I got was 2 1/2" at 100, so keep shots under 150 and your good for yots.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It would seem the lightest bullet you can use and still get great accuracy is the 125 gr nosler ballistic tip.

One of Us
Picture of Flippy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by short44:
Try the 110 gr varmiter HP not the best BC but way explosive even in a 30-30.

110gr HP

One of my hunting buddies loads these in 30 '06 at about 3100fps, they put the smack-down on anything they hit.

JUST A TYPICAL WHITE GUY BITTERLY CLINGING TO GUNS AND RELIGION

Definition of HOPLOPHOBIA

"I'm the guy that originally wrote the 'assault weapons' ban." --- Former Vice President Joe Biden

Posts: 1700 | Location: Lurking somewhere around SpringTucky Oregon | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CoolHunt:
I've got a good choice of bullets to pick from now. I wonder what kind of load or velocity you try and push these? I'm not to concerned with top velocity, unless that's where you get you best accuracy. I have that with some of the other calibers that I have. I'd like some accurate loads or powders, primers, OAL, etc., that you've had the best luck with. How do you get good seating and stay close to the lands with such short bullets?
To answer your last question how deep the bullet is seated in the case neck does not really matter, my personal 308win 110 grn V-max load is rem brass flash holes uniformed to 3/32",win LRSL primer, 47grns IMR 4064, col 2.815" and brass is neck sized only in my rem mod 700 this load gives 1/2" 5 shot groups @ 100yrds MV is 3040 fps you will probably have to adjust col and powder charge to your rifle but I have no reservations recomending 4064 & V-MAX for the 308win happy shooting.

HAVE FAITH IN GOD.

Posts: 206 | Location: Alberta ,Can | Registered: 29 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is the 125 gr ballistic tip good for ranges to 400 yards in the .308......................how low would it be at say 300 yards and 400 yards, I am thinking chest shots on fox size animals to 300 yards and possibly 400 yards, would this combo work better than the 22/250, I know it would if the wind where up a bit. Some times I need a little more whollop in my varminter than the 22/250 can give me.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have used the 125 grain Nosler BT's in my .308 for crows and groundhogs. They shoot very well and will simply evaporate a crow when you connect.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Crowrifle to what range for varmints can the .308 with 125 gr BT's be used for..................what are some of the longest shots you have taken with the .308 and 125 gr BT's ??

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have hit groundhogs at over 300 yards, actually it was closer to 400.
Effects were still devastating at that range. I only did this because a friend mistakenly purchased some 125 grain BTs at a gun show.
My only complaint is that it just wasn't as much fun to shoot a .308 from a prone position 25 or 30 times as it is to shoot a 22.250.
But I think the .308 with 125 grain BTs would make a nice coyote rig.

One of Us
Picture of Old Elk Hunter
posted Hide Post
Just shoot any bullet you want! I use a 458 Win Mag for sage rats. Shoot the 405 grain cast slugs. If I aim just below their feet it sends them flying and digs a new hole for the other sage rats. Also when you are shooting nobody comes up and asks the lame question of "whatcashootin?". Also, nobody sets up near you either. It does amazing things to prairie dogs.

RELOAD - ITS FUN!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Crowrifle, I think that a .heavy barrelled .308 with 125 gr Nos BT's will kick less than a ruger stainless canoe stock 30/06 with 180 gr Sierra Round Noses at full throttle, 100 rounds out of that in a day from the ute window can be telling !!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought 300 rounds of "once fired brass" and the same amount of "bullets" on E-Bay. The bullets are 147 grain BT FMJ. I trimmed, polished, sized, primed, powdered, and setted the bullets. I backed off about several hundred fps from max load. I was a little surprised to see the velocity at 2850fps, which is about 150fps faster than than the manual showed. I believe the faster velocity is due to the fact that this is "military brass", less case capacity than factory brass. Also the barrel is 2" longer than velocities given with the manual. I believe the round is safe as far as powder charge and velocity are concerned. Their are no overt signs of excess pressure. I'll run some software to make certain that the cup (or PSI) is within specs. These loads are fairly accurate, I'm not certain exactlly how accurate I'm not sure, I'm still breaking in the barrel.
Has anyone used these "surplus" rounds for varmint hunting? I know they aren't hunting rounds, but they should be good for plinking and varmint hunting. I think I'll back off a couple of grains just to make sure, and to make the round "fun" to shoot all day......... any experience with these FMJ BT's would be appreciated. Thanks

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just a note on my experience with the above bullets...... I thought I had been fairly careful loading these round, however, I weighed the bullets after I got home from the range. (unloaded bullets only). They weighed from 146.9 to 151.5. I was unable to get any kind of group from them. Very poor groups 2 to 4" or worse. I know the barrel was flooded with cleaners and oil and run thru with patch's many thimes while breaking the barrel in, but they were bad..... I think I learned my lesson, I'll try lowering the powder further and changing the setting depth, any other suggests, other than through them away? Thanks everyone

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cool hunt, get rid of them and just buy some nosler ballsitic tips I reckon Smiler

one of us
Picture of pdhntr1
posted Hide Post
CoolHunt,

I have shot a fair number of these (146-152 gr. FMJ) through my Garand at pds. The rules of this game are fairly simple. All shooting must be done in the standing position, battle sights only, AND MAKE SURE THERE IS A VERTICLE BACK STOP. If the prairie is baked hard, you can get quite a few zingers.

CH if you can come up with a good use for these bullets that would warrant spending the powder to send them down the barrel, let me know.

Jim

Please be an ethical PD hunter, always practice shoot and release!!

Praying for all the brave souls standing in harms way.

Posts: 731 | Location: NoWis. | Registered: 04 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 148-152 grain FNJ's generally shoot 2.5 inch groups at best in all the rifles I have tried them in. My only real use that they work well in is for finishing downed game.

Leftists are intellectually vacant, but there is no greater pleasure than tormenting the irrational.

Posts: 2899 | Registered: 24 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Funny, y'all are all talking about light bullets for the .308, when I saw the thread title I was expecting the heavy ones to be the topic du jour. If you want to stretch the .308 out aways try the SMK, 190 grains or so. BC is around .560 plus or minus a hair. Wouldn't bother for target inside 400 yards or a bit farther though.

If yuro'e corseseyd and dsyelixc can you siltl raed oaky?

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote