THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    Best place to find deals on scopes

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best place to find deals on scopes
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am looking for a new scope and am wondering were to find the best deal. I am looking fo a 4-14 AO to top a ruger 10/22 for short range varmiting & paper punching so AO is a must so I can shot short range. Don't want to brake the bank on the one as it's jus a for fun gun.

Posts: 132 | Location: western New York | Registered: 20 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bear Basin is the best place I have found outside of discounted deals from Midway or Cabelas.

Posts: 10358 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've always had good luck with SWFA. In all honesty I've heard a couple of complaints, but they've always done right by me, and the prices are very attractive. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

Posts: 1866 | Location: Montreal, Canada | Registered: 01 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of squeeze
posted Hide Post

Posts: 201 | Location: Wis | Registered: 05 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Boss Moss: Two of my three Ruger 10/22's have Simmons 4x12 variable scopes on them with A.O. I have these two back up guns as loaners for out of towners and for the VarmintSons and the VarmintWife to use in the Gopher Colonies and for other modest range Varminting endeavors.
I think on Ruger 10/22's that the 4x12 variable range is about perfect for scope power and the A.O. feature helps keep things in focus and parralax free.
My main go to Lilja heavy barreled 10/22 has a Leupold 4x12 variable with A.O. feature. This is also Ground Squirrel killing machine!
I buy my Simmons 4x12's from a fella named Joe out of Portland, Oregon. He attends all the gunshows in the NW and he sells nothing but scopes. This Simmons 4x12 with A.O. is his best selling scope ($79.00) in the modest priced scope range.
I have an E-mail out to a mutual friend for his phone number as I have missplaced it. He ships for $5.00 and no tax!
Good luck with whichever scope and seller you choose.
Merry X-mas!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
for price and service any time I found these guys beat out most

http://www.natchezss.com/

Posts: 901 | Location: Denver, CO USA | Registered: 01 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I'll second Natchez, I've bought a lot of stuff, including scopes there and the few times that I've found the same scope listed cheaper someplace else they have beat it everytime.

Posts: 12688 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Go to Ebay for some of the best prices on rifle scopes going. When you get there make sure you punch in "Ending Soonest" instead of "Newly Listed" so as to get the ones ending first. I have purchased brand new Leupold, Burris, etc. scopes, still under warrentee, for 40% - 50% off store prices. Lawdog

Posts: 1254 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you are looking for a sub $100 scope that is worth much more than that, check out the $79 Simmons ATV 4.5-14x40AO at Natchez. This scope is discontinued but is so popular that retailers like Natchez, SWFA and Midway have production runs of em made. This is one of the great buys in low priced optics and has an excellent reputation. Built in the Philippines, it shares roots with some great optics like the Whitetail Classic and Expedition, Nikon Prostaff and Buckmaster.

http://natchezss.com/product.cfm?contentID=productDetail&prodID=SN899703

Posts: 1615 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I second the Simmons ATV 4.5-14x scope recommendation.I owned several and you'd have to pay three times as much to get a more useful scope..

posted Hide Post
I totally agree with Lawdog Gary. Most all the companys listed above are good, but the best deals I've gotten came from ebay. These are scopes still all sealed up brand spanking new. I have bought (mainly Leupolds) $50 to as much as $150 cheaper than the dealers listed above. It takes a little time doing the searches, but money saved is money earned.

Posts: 25 | Location: S.Central Kansas | Registered: 24 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cummins cowboy
posted Hide Post
be careful any more it seems like stuff goes for too much on ebay. Remember you are buying second had and in most cases from an individual. There are risks invovled, I weight the risk vs the money savings and make my decision

Posts: 1755 | Location: slc Ut | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I'll say the same as Wrongtarget and Sharpsman about the Simmons ATV being a bargain.
I've been actively buying, collecting and shooting rifles for the last 10 years. I started out buying inexpensive scopes and now try to trade up to Leupold, Ziess and Zwaro's whenever I can. I don't think you can go wrong with good glass.
Having said that I think the Simmons 4 X 14 ATV can be an inexpensive bargain.
Several years ago I saw my first Simmons ATV atop a Contender that was featured on the cover of Small Caliber News. The scope wasn't identified but it had an ientifiable crest on the cover of the windage adjustment of the scope. I went looking for this at the "marts" and my local gun shop.
About the same time, I believe Norman E. Jonnson, who writes both in the Varmint Hunter Mag and the now titled Accurate Rifle, wrote an article about the 4 X 12 WA Simmons 44 Mag scope. He gave the scope a favorable review.
Walmart at that time had the Simmons ATV for $129 to $149 at their different stores. About the same time Natchez shooters supply started advertising these scopes refurbished for $79 ea or $69 ea if you would buy two or more. I now have 10 or 12 of these scopes on different rifles. They are a 4 X 14 variable power scope with an adjustable objective. I've used them with good results on rifles from 17 HMR to 300 ultra mag. I have a 270 in a winchester model 70 that I purchased six or seven years ago that I scoped with an ATV. It is now one of my loaners that I take to the lease in case one of my bud's kids gun doesn't work. When I first mounted this scope, I zeroed this rifle at two hundred yards. Someone in our group takes a deer or hog with it each year. I trot it out each season and fire off some rounds to check the zero. It hasn't changed in all this time of being carried back and forth and the seasonal abuse.
One caveat however, the one scope that was on the 300 ultra mag seemed to be worse for the wear after a couple of extended sessions at the bench. This has been my experience. Others may differ.
Another tactic that works for me as I live near Houston, Texas, a large town with many pawn shops. I have a circuit of approx. 10 different pawn shops that I visit every two weeks or so. I check out the different rifles and scopes. Sometimes you can buy a rifle with a good scope cheap enough to re-sell it to a dealer at a gun show or another pawn shop and have very little invested in the scope. This summer I managed to acquire both a Ziess Diavari C in 3 X 9 and a Zwaro in 3 X 9 for approx $200 each, after I sold the guns they were mounted on. Considering that these are $600 to over $800 retail new, I call that a bargain.
Anyhow, Good luck & good shootin'
kTrout

one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
In general, I find I cannot find prices lower than Bruno's shooting supply. I've bought from Ebay, but I find the prices are higher than I'm willing to pay for used, and just as high or higher for new. JMO, Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The optic zone is about the cheapest place I have found.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Guys, After reading all the posts I ordered a Simmons ATV 4.5-14X40AO from Natchez for $79.00. The funny thing the guys on rimfire central say thats the best scope for the money for .22rimfire & to here the same here & not telling you I was looking at it made the final decition.
Thanks & Merry Cchistmas, Troy

Posts: 132 | Location: western New York | Registered: 20 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
BM,

You'll REALLY like that Simmons ATV..

They were origionally designed as a SPECIAL model for Walmart to sell in the $150 class.ATV stands for All Target Variable and it was ONLY made in the 4.5-14x model..

When Simmons sold out to Meade Optical two years ago,something happened with their agreement with Walmart.

Walmart then dropped Simmons and went to BSA,Bushnell,Nikon and Leupold(rifleman) scopes and Simmons was stuck with a BUNCH of ATVs.That is why they still have some to sell at closeuput prices.

BTW, Should you have any problems with the ATV(and I doubt it),Simmons will stand behind it as well as any scope maker out there!

one of us
Picture of LDHunter
posted Hide Post
<a href="www.natchezss.com" target="_blank">Natchez Shooters Supply</a> will meet or beat (usually beat) any deal you find on the net.

BearBasin used to be the cheapest but they've really changed in the last year or so.

Midway is usually the highest priced but some of their "blowouts" are good.

SWFA is excellent but can't touch Natchez pricing.

<a href="www.samplelist.com" target="_blank">samplelist</a> is a division of SWFA and sometimes has good used and blowout deals.

But for everyday pricing and competitive pricing Natchez won't allow anyone to undersell them and you can actually bargain with them but watch out for their "handling charge"... That is their only zinger.

Natchez Deal on ATV Ask them for a "deal" without the rings and see what they'll do... You might be surprized!!! Tell them you are looking for the absolute lowest price possible.

$bob$

Posts: 2494 | Location: NW Florida Piney Woods | Registered: 28 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of British
posted Hide Post
Just a quick plug for theopticzone here. At the beginning of this year I ordered a scope from them via the internet and arranged for for it to be sent to the hotel in New York that my wife was staying at. Everything went to plan with no problems whatsoever. Try arranging something like that in the UK and see how far you get.

The one thing that has always impressed me when dealing with American companies is just how easy they make doing business (no doubt some of you guys would beg to differ ) I will be using theopticzone again when next I'm 'stateside'. Gotta love the current exchange rate.

Posts: 325 | Location: Essex, UK | Registered: 12 May 2003Reply With Quote