Find
Notify
Tools

"Walking" Rifle Scope
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of BlackHawk1
posted
I have a heavy varmint rifle chambered in 22-250 and wanted a lightweight "walking" rifle for predator hunting so I just recently put a Browning A-Bolt Composite Stalker so chambered on layaway. I have a 7mm Rem Mag A-Bolt (w/BOSS) so I'm familiar with that line of rifles.

For walking/predator rifles, what scopes are ya'll using? I'm considering a Leupold VX3 3.5-10x40.

BH1

There are no flies on 6.5s!

Posts: 707 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: 23 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Skinner.
posted Hide Post
Leupold 6x Compact, which they're not making anymore but can still find.

That on a Rem. 700 with a Lilja SS #3 in .17 Rem. in a McMillan classic stock is my walking/mountain biking predator rifle.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The new model NIKON BUCKMASTER 4.5-14 Side Focus is slimmed down from the originals with front objective focus and are light enough to make for a great scope for a walking varminter in 22-250. The light gathering and brightness of the NIKONS will absolutely amaze you when compared to some of the High dollar scopes out there!! Not to mention the repeatability and just plain optical clarity from one side to the other of the whole field of view! NIKONS.......best buy for the money in optics today!!! GHD

Groundhog Devastation(GHD)

Posts: 2495 | Location: SW. VA | Registered: 29 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My choice would be the 4-12X Burris Compact with Ball. Plex reticle. This is what i have on my 17 MIV XP-100 handgun for spot and stalk coyotes (without the Ball. Plex part).

I've seen the 3-9X Nikon BM, and it's a nice scope.

Steve

Posts: 926 | Location: pueblo.co | Registered: 03 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BlackHawk1:
For walking/predator rifles, what scopes are ya'll using? I'm considering a Leupold VX3 3.5-10x40.

I have several walking rifles. My scope range from 1.5 X 5 Leupolds, 2 X 7 Leupolds, 2.5 X 10 Bosh & Lomb (now Busnell) and one Weaver Grand Slam 4.5 X 14.

I really like the lower powers much better for their wide veiw and the ease of quickly getting on your target.

Higher power scopes have the place but not on a calling rifle in my opinion.

By the way I like you choice it's a nice bright scope with enough field of view to acquire a moving target quickly.

Posts: 1679 | Location: Renton, WA. | Registered: 16 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
BH, I think you are in the right area as on a varmit rifle you do need magnification, and a variable is virtually mandatory for a walking varmintor. There are many to chose from, but Leupold has never failed me for satisfaction.

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
All three of my walking varmint rifles carry a Leupold 4.5x14x40 and I have been very happy with them.

Posts: 38 | Location: Reno, Nevada | Registered: 20 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BlackHawk1
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys! When it comes to scopes, most of mine are Leupolds, however I do have a 2-7x32 Nikon on my Kimber 84 and I like it. I figure if I go with a VX3 I can't go wrong. I don't want too large of a scope, dimensionally and magnification, hence the rationale behind a 3.5-10x40 VX3. I also have that same scope on my 7mm RM A-Bolt. Two rifles, very similarly built, one for predators/large vermin, the other for antlers!

BH1

There are no flies on 6.5s!

Posts: 707 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: 23 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't think that the VX3 scopes are worth the money. They are old techology with modern marketing. Since your only after a 10X max scope you could look at the VX2 line which are good values.

I have a Vari-X 111 4.5-14 AO Tac. on my 243 Kimber. I paid too much for it but I was not familar with the Conqests.

Join the NRA

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Blackhawk1, I would agree with sscoyote about the Burris 4x12 Compact with Ballistic Plex. I have a Burris 3x9 with Ballistic Plex on my CZ 527 221 Fireball and I believe the 4x12 would be the right scope for a walking around rifle.

Joe A.

Posts: 152 | Location: Alabama | Registered: 06 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I put a 4.5-14 Zeiss Conquest on my .243 Kimber Montana and have been nothing but happy with it.

Posts: 866 | Location: Western CO | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of NorthTexan
posted Hide Post
.223 Browning Composite Stalker is mated with Nikon Buckmaster 3-9x40.

.25-06 Winchester Model 70 is paired with a Leupold 4.5-14x40 VX-III.

Both are nice scopes. For it's power, the Leupold is very compact, yet still lets plenty of light in. However, it cost me over 2x as much as the Nikon, and I can't tell much if any difference in quality.

Posts: 32 | Location: Woodson, Texas | Registered: 07 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
I'll second the Nikon Buckmaster 4.5-14 with side focus. I just put one on my Kimber 22-250 and it looks like it will work great for a walking varminiter. Lou

NRA Life Benefactor Member

Posts: 3316 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote