New
Find
Notify
Tools

Crimping the Hornet
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
How much difference have you found that crimping loads makes to .22 Hornet accuracy ? Magazine is so short in my CZ 527 that bullet selection and seating depth changes are very limited .
Load testing with 12.3 gns 296 and the 35 V Max today . First 3 shots went 0.450 , next group with same load went 0.25 for first 3 and ended up 1.25 for 5 shots bewildered
Using CCI 400 primer . Tried Win. small pistol primers but didn't improve grouping with 296 .
Can't get Lil gun here before you all suggest it .

The hunting imperative was part of every man's soul; some denied or suppressed it, others diverted it into less blatantly violent avenues of expression, wielding clubs on the golf course or racquets on the court, substituting a little white ball for the prey of flesh and blood.
Wilbur Smith

Posts: 916 | Location: L.H. side of downunder | Registered: 07 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Many .22 Hornet fans have good luck using small pistol primers.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ask over at saubier.com/forum, as several discussions about crimping Hornets have been discussed. As usual, what works for some yields horrible results for others.
Good to note you cannot get LilGun, as otherwise it is a usual suggestion.

try: http://www.saubier.com/forum.html

Posts: 639 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 28 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
saubier.com/forum??

Posts: 225 | Location: AZ | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Old Elk Hunter
posted Hide Post
I have a CZ527 in .22 Hornet also. I noticed the spacer at the back of the magazine. I haven't tried it without the spacer as all I shoot are the 40grain and 35grain bullets. You might want to try removing the spacer.

RELOAD - ITS FUN!

one of us
posted Hide Post
OEH ,
Have tried with a smaller spacer and it won't feed . Need a longer follower as well .

The hunting imperative was part of every man's soul; some denied or suppressed it, others diverted it into less blatantly violent avenues of expression, wielding clubs on the golf course or racquets on the court, substituting a little white ball for the prey of flesh and blood.
Wilbur Smith

Posts: 916 | Location: L.H. side of downunder | Registered: 07 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Old Elk Hunter
posted Hide Post
You may want to then try a follower from a .222 CZ magazine. If I remember to do it, I will give it a try for you. I have several CZ's.

RELOAD - ITS FUN!

one of us
posted Hide Post
OEH ,
That would be much appreciated .

Wilbur Smith