THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    Anyone here from Alamogordo New Mexico?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone here from Alamogordo New Mexico?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Curious about the Varmint hunting in your area? I remember there being tons of coyotes and jack rabbits. Are they still just as thick? Can a guy do reasonably well with a mouth call? Might be heading that way if the Air Force won't let me stay in Alaska.

Posts: 148 | Location: Currently located in Southern New Mexico | Registered: 26 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
AKB - New Mexico is always going to be a strong hold for El Coyote. Jackrabbits are nothing like they once were, but still plenty of coyotes.

If you're a "mouth caller" as am I, you may do better on fox. For some reason, I have.

New Mexico is an interesting place for an outdoorsman. Always something crazy to do.

Let me know if you need anything specific about the area.

[Smile] P45

Posts: 19677 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That is where I work, also happen to work for a moving company. Maybe we'll move ya in.There are plenty of varmints around. I have plenty of friends that are varmint hunters.

Posts: 188 | Location: Las Cruces, NM | Registered: 31 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys, I still own a house there, but it has been a while since I have been there. Hoping to retire from the Air Force there, and be able to get a job that will support my family. I have just started getting serious about the varmint thing, swapped for a Remington 22-250 in a BDL with a 24" bull barrel. Wondering what kind of scope you guys are using, it currently is wearing a Luepold 2.5x8x36, which is fine for up here, but it is borrowed off of my Ruger .300 win mag. Thanks again.

Posts: 148 | Location: Currently located in Southern New Mexico | Registered: 26 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
AKB - As you know New Mexico is a great place for long range shots, at least in most places. I figure it's a land where good optics are almost a must. Right now I've got 4 X 12 Simmons or Bushnells on my rigs. Some guys turn their noses up at anything but the high dollars scopes but so far none of the varmints I've shot seemed to complain. [Big Grin]

My suggestion would be a good variable, 3x9 or 4x12 would be my pick on a varmint rifle. Good luck on the job hunting there.

Posts: 19677 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote