THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    Groundhog Devastation 14-point buck

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Groundhog Devastation 14-point buck
 Login/Join

posted
Charlie finally got his deer head back from the taxidermist. I think he's a bit happy about it. The folks in the picture are Dan (the previous owner of the other gun shop in town), Freddie (Charlie's partner at R&D Sporting Goods), Charlie (the one with the deer and very big smile), Steve (a retired cop from his town and now town coucilman), and Brad (a serious archer). The grand opening is next weekend and GHD is happy that his deer head came back in time for the VA State competition, also next weekend.

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
beer Very nice!! thumb Is Brad the one who looks like he don't eat much? rotflmoroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for putting that here reload! That was a surprise!
And yes Bartshe Big Grin Big Grin Brad is the one who hasn't had the effects of middle aged spread hit yet!! Brad is a good kid!! And can he shoot a bow!! 7 time VA STATE CHAMPION now and 4th in National Competition!! Dan on the other end is a VA STATE CHAMPION Skeet shooter. All in all a pretty good group of "Good Ol Boys"! GHD

Groundhog Devastation(GHD)

Posts: 2495 | Location: SW. VA | Registered: 29 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sure looks like a group of Good Ole Boys.
Congrulations on the deer NICE

Posts: 508 | Location: Newton,NC,USA | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of pdhntr1
posted Hide Post
Well it's obvious they are all brothers and the youngest one was seated at the far side of the table from where the food was served. By the time the kettle got to him there wasn't anything left. Hell, he is so weak he needs the counter to hold him up. jumping

VERY nice buck Charlie.

Jim

Please be an ethical PD hunter, always practice shoot and release!!

Praying for all the brave souls standing in harms way.

Posts: 731 | Location: NoWis. | Registered: 04 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey GHD, Congratulations on a fine Trophy Buck. How `bout some details?

If you've already posted the story, a link will do.

Good Hunting and clean 1-shot Kills.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of 22win
posted Hide Post
Charlie... That looks like an old PA buck from the lower part of the Pine Creek around the seed corn fields. Did you kill that on one of your trips to the office. Smiler

Posts: 48 | Location: Northcentral PA | Registered: 09 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
HotCor and 22Win...............That old buck(6 1/2 years by the biologist) was shot in Franklin County VA on November 9,2006 while in persuit of available does to breed!! I personally hope he bred everything on the mountain before he made THE BIG MISTAKE!! I had been in NC working that day and came up I-77 to take the mountain way home instead of the interstate thru Winston-Salem to Greensboro. That route would allow me a good 1 hour or 1.5 hours to be "at the mountain". I pulled into the "old barn" at the mountain, got the T/C Encore out and loaded it up. Mr. Bowman(landowner) was there and wanted me to help him with a cow that was in labor. You never refuse to help landowner-hunting lease people if they have problems!! So I helped him get the cow to the corral and looked to my left and this deer was coming out of the woods across the road. There were 9 does in the far end of the field where I was. The buck jumped the fence, crossed the road, then jumped the fence on that side and was 100 yards away in the field I was in! He was high stepping toward the does. I knew he was a shooter but absolutely did not know how really big he was. He was heading toward the harem so I "grunted". He stopped and turned his head to the right to look at that obstinate buck that would even challenge him!! Then he died!! A saboted 240 grain Hornady JHP placed in this magnificent old deer's neck rendered him "DRT". It was only after I went to the downed deer that I realized how big he was!! I got Mr Bowman to take me to my machinery shed where I got my "other truck" and hooked up my trailer to go get the deer. After taking a couple pics of him in the field, we dragged him up on the trailer. I called one of my hunting buddies, Jerry, and told him to come down to his mailbox as I had something to show him. I can't take the truck and trailer up to Jerry's house due to space and hills so he came down and met me.................His comment was, "Chuck!! He's a good one!! Should have seen him with velvet on all them horns!!" Jerry had seen this deer twice before!! I myself, Sarah(Miss GHD), Luke and Levi(My and Sarah's young hunting buddies) had probably spent a collective 300 hours time on the mountain last summer and none of us had seen this deer!! For me to have had an oppurtunity to shoot him was a fluke!! He was old, he was smart, but he had that inborn sense to reproduce and it got him killed! That's my story and I'm sticking to it!!
And 22WIN, In all the time I've spent in the seed fields at the end of Pine Creek(1996-now) I don't think I've seen anything other than a "basket rack" 8-pointer!! I've seen and shot some "significant" groundhogs there though!!
Saturday, September 8th, 2007 is the GRAND OPENING of "R&D SPORTING GOODS" in Rocky Mount, VA!! Y'all come see me!! Charlie (GHD)

Groundhog Devastation(GHD)

Posts: 2495 | Location: SW. VA | Registered: 29 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey GHD, Great Story to go with a fine Trophy Buck. Congratulations and best of luck on finding the Bucks he sired.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of 22win
posted Hide Post
GHD, Great buck. Great story.
I would love to stop by your grand opening of the store Sat. but, I don't know how to explain the trip to my wife. I usually don't take her along while visiting sporting good stores.
I have to go to dealer days tomorrow at 9 a.m. and listen to Mr. Morse and Hal. I definitly would rather be checking fields for groundhogs or other game. Good Luck, Mark

Posts: 48 | Location: Northcentral PA | Registered: 09 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Charlie-

That is a GREAT buck, and the taxidermist seems to have done a very nice job on it.

But if you take any more deer like that one, you might just have to change your name here... Big Grin

PS-Best wishes on the grand opening!

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9397 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote