New
Find
Notify
Tools

What power scope is best
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Im going to order a new weaver scope for my new 22-250 savage im getting ready to order
which power scope should i get 4-16 or 6-24 someone told you can get too much magnification is this true?
Thanks

Posts: 110 | Location: west virginia | Registered: 17 December 2002Reply With Quote
<cobra>
posted
The 4-16 should be more than adequate for most every situation you'll come across.

one of us
posted Hide Post
i bought the weaver V24. very happy with it.

Posts: 351 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 24 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I tend to prefer higher magnification, something that will get you to 16 or 18 at least, if you're comfortable, go higher.
IMHO variable is better, my favourite scope is the Nightforce 5.5 - 22 x 56.

Posts: 2286 | Location: Aussie in Italy | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
6x24x40. One of the few times you will hear me promote more magnification but you need a good high powdered glass to see the dogs laying on the far side of the mound peeking over the top. Especially on the far side of the town. However, you need the 6x or so, to find them before dialing them up with the 24x. I took a stright 36x prarie dog hunting once. It didn't work nearly so well as a good varible. [Big Grin]

Posts: 2037 | Location: frametown west virginia usa | Registered: 14 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I suppose it depends on the size of the critters you intend to shoot. For crows and groundhogs here in PA my Browning 1885 .22-250 Rem wears a B&L Balvar 6x24. It's powerful enough for those really long shots but not heavy and bulky for a carry rig. I've got to walk and stalk alfalfa fields so don't want a ton hanging on my shoulder.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
if your set on the weaver get the V24 it is a higher quality scope than the V16.

The 8.5 to 25 LRT leupold is my favorite.I find it set on 14-16x the most.as long as the low end is not over 10x you shouldnt have any problems.

Posts: 286 | Location: Gladdice,Tn | Registered: 17 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ill be using it mainly on groundhogs from 200-400yds so thier pretty small targets

Posts: 110 | Location: west virginia | Registered: 17 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've have Leupold 6.5x20x40's on all my prairie dog guns, and they seem to be fine. I'm sure I'd like a Nightforce or LRT Leupold, but really it's a bit more than what I need. Most of the shooting is done in full daylight and fair weather. I'm not trying for the 1K club either. I consider 500 yds a long shot on a prairie dog. I have a 6.5x06 coming that I might want to try for some longer shots with.

In the summer when it's hot, you won't be able to crank up to 24x anyway due to mirage.

I think 16x for chucks at 400 yds would be just fine, but there are always those times that a little more might be helpful. It's a close call.

Roger

Posts: 648 | Location: Huskerville | Registered: 22 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mr.big:
if your set on the weaver get the V24 it is a higher quality scope than the V16.

Interesting. What are the differences?

Holmes

Posts: 1171 | Location: Wyoming, USA | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
like the Vari-x II and III models.its just a better scope.

Posts: 286 | Location: Gladdice,Tn | Registered: 17 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The V16 is an excellent scope for the $$. I think anything over 20x is too much except when shooting targets. If you have an option, go with a fine crosshair and possibly a target dot. Those make for much more accurate long range shooting IMHO.

Posts: 1346 | Location: NE | Registered: 03 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well I called Natchez shooters supply today to order my Weaver scope still not sure which One I really wanted. While talking to the salesman about my confusion he said we just got in some Weaver Grand Slam refurbished 6-20x40mm from weaver he said they come with full lifetime factory warranty with papers so I was a little leary about getting a refurbished scope but with a full factory lifetime warranty I guess I did ok I got it for $252.00

one of us
posted Hide Post
I had a 6-24 on my 22-250 and stepped up to an 8-32. I only shoot gound squirles so the target is smaller then what you listed. A good quality 6-24 si plenty of scope though.

Posts: 201 | Location: Loomis, Ca | Registered: 26 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
T hunter, I think you got a good deal. Saved yourself a big one. As far as a refurb is concerned, I'd buy one in an instant from weaver or leupold or such. [Big Grin]

Posts: 2037 | Location: frametown west virginia usa | Registered: 14 October 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I got the feeling that my 8x32x44 did not adjust down far enough and my 4x32 fixed was not powerful enough for ground squirrels.

That leads me to beleive that the right power is 6X.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by turkey hunter:
Im going to order a new weaver scope for my new 22-250 savage im getting ready to order <br />which power scope should i get 4-16 or 6-24 someone told you can get too much magnification is this true?<br />Thanks

Depends a little on what you’re going to use it for. PD the more powerful scopes will work fine except on warmer days you probably won't get much above 12 power. For calling a scope with a range around 4-14 would be good a lower power would even mean quicker target acquisition.

Posts: 1679 | Location: Renton, WA. | Registered: 16 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Turkey hunter: I have used the wonderful 22-250 for Varminting for at least 37 years now and I have come to the conclusion you picked about THE perfect power range for your new savage 22-250 Rifle!
Be sure and let us know how the refurbished scope looks and performs for you!
I did not know such deals were available - thanks for sharing that.
Best of luck there.
Back to 22-250 and scope power.
I Hunt a lot on the high plains and in the rolling hills of the Rocky Mountains with my various 22-250's. I use them out on the grasslands in the heat as well and I can get along with the higher powered variables out there just fine.
If you are going to be using the Rifle in the thickets back home then go with the 4 by 16 variables otherwise you did well to stick with the higher powered variable (like you ordered).
Best of luck to ya!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For varmint hunting I use my 223 with Leupold 6.5-20 LR SF scope with varmint reticle. It is light to carry and clear to see. The range I shoot at is usually between 200-300 yards. 20x is plenty for that purpose.

Danny

Posts: 157 | Location: Toronto, Ontario | Registered: 09 February 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of bythebook
posted Hide Post
I have 2 6 to 24 weavers one 6 x18 Burris and a 4.5 to 14 vari XIII leupold and all seem to work good it would be hard to choose between them

Posts: 8 | Location: bedford Pa. | Registered: 02 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I used a high-end euro scope in 4.5-14 for several years out to 650 yards on my 22-250 and it was great. Last year I did some trading and put on a same brand 6-24. Sometimes I can actually use it at 24, but more often, when shooting PD's, I end up dialing down around 12-16 so I can see through the mirage. I have a 4-14 Zeiss conquest on a Kimber .243 that I use for above timber line marmot hunting. At 14 it is clear and powerful enough for head shots when they are peeking over the rocks.

Posts: 866 | Location: Western CO | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
For some reason I cannot open the pictures that you have posted, what do I need to open them.

Posts: 27 | Location: Dublin, Va. | Registered: 26 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use a 6.5-20x44 (Cabela's "Alaskan Guide") on my 223 bolt gun (a Remington 700VSSF) and though most of the time I need to dial it back to 16x, most of the time I'm shooting from knoll-to-knoll at less than 300yds at a 'chuck and I'm unlikely to take more than one shot.

If I had to take three or more shots, like if PD hunting
(but the nearest PD colony is around 1200 miles awayFrowner
the barrel heat mirage becomes a major problem
as I have my scope mounted relatively low
(Leupold medium rings) so clearance between the scope bell and top of the barrel is only ~0.040"

I used to believe in lower powered variables but getting my first higher powered scope has made me a believer...

remember that you can always turn a higher powered variable down, but if you bought a 2.5-10x it's real hard to turn it up past 10xSmiler

AllanD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Allan DeGroot:
I used to believe in lower powered variables but getting my first higher powered scope has made me a believer...

remember that you can always turn a higher powered variable down, but if you bought a 2.5-10x it's real hard to turn it up past 10xSmiler

AllanD

Allan if you do any calling the reverse is also true you can't get the big scope below 6.5. On a moving target at 50 feet or less that could make target acquisition a lot slower than with a 1.5 or 2.5 low end on your scope. Once a coyote has lit that after burner he's not around for long.

It all depends on the purpose you design you gun for. But as some have mentioned on nice days that big variable isn't going to see the top side of 14 would be my guess form experience on my Prairie Dog Safari. On my 22-250 Winchester Heavy Varminter which is a dedicated PD gun I use a 6.5 X 20 and in early morning shooting I crank it up to 20 for those long shots but buy noon on the warm days its down to 12 maybe 14 power.

Posts: 1679 | Location: Renton, WA. | Registered: 16 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Did my first prairie dog hunt last year in South Dakota and took my 223 w/ a 3x9x40 on top of it. Did okay, but after 200 yds, the little critters were hard to pick out. This year's trip it will wear a BSA 4x16x40 Mil Dot. Not a pricey scope, but it has very clear optics and AO on the front. Does crows very nicely.

Posts: 64 | Location: Shreveport, LA | Registered: 06 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jay:

Why are you trying to shoot coyotes on the run?? Bark at them, they'll almost always stop for a few seconds. Be ready to fire when you bark though.

Had a K10 on my Sako .222mag for yrs. Paid $45 for it new, fellow in ID offered $55 and he'd pay postage. Nice downpayment on a Simmon's 6-18. Getting along with it much better than I ever did with the K10.

Times when it's 105 out in bright sunlight and 10x's too much for the heat waves. Much more than 300yds and they get mighty hard to see well enough, was guessing and missing a lot of times.

Since this glass went on, can turn it up or down as needed. And those long shots are much easier to see and hit now too. Seems to impress the 'bullshitters' to glass for me when shooting over 400yds. They seem to get the idea I'm a crack shot a lot of times. It's just that I can see much better than they can with their lower powered glass. That and lot's of ammo down range at p/dogs seems to help a lot to know where to hold.

Allen: hell man, have a bunch less than 200yds from my house in town! Can't shoot 'em though. Place I'm shootin up now is about 20miles. Maybe you should import a few back home!
Won't be long now will it??

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 6001 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Georgeld

I live in Western Washington its pretty brushy on the western side at least. They don't have far to run unless you catch them in a good size clearing. Yes then barking works sometimes.