Find
Notify
Tools

Got the 12BVSS-S today
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted
RazzerHad to take a break from preliminary mounting of a scope on my 12BVSS-S .223 That I picked up today.

At first I noticed the bolt worked a little rough and that there was a red residue on the action in several places. A good cleaning and an application of oil around some gaul markings and most of the stiffness disappeared .There were a number of unremoved machining rollover type burrs that had to be eliminated. The internal appearance indicated that it had minimal clean up at the factory.

The preliminary scope mounting went well. The four threaded holes seemed perfect; not loose but not too tight either.None of the screws protruded and retarded the bolt action.The scope being used has a 44mm bell so I was able to go with medium hight rings.However, the cheek piece could still stand to be 3/8" higher.

The trigger really is to my liking.The factory setting is crisp and at 4 lbs. I'm going to shoot it this way and some time in the near future try to find a more optimum setting.The jury is still out but right now I think I like this trigger better than the CZ trigger on my .222; we'll see. It definitely is a step above some of my after market triggers.

After the chamber was swaubed out it was found that factory ammo chambered nicely. FL resized cases from another rifle were a scoch tight. I probably could have come down a hair with the die.

Bolt handle lift (COCKING FORCE) was greater than on most of my Mausers.This was surprising to me as I would have expected something less for this little cartridge. I can't say this was attributable to a strong spring or rough surface conditons. A lot of use may correct this.

The fluting on the barrel was clean and neat but not very deep.

The bolt handle extra large ball almost rests on my trigger finger nuckle. If this were a large caliber High velocity rifle I know for sure it would give me some pain.

This is not intended to be a bitching thread. But I figured I'd try to be objective rather than just twitter about my new toy. jump All in all i'm antsy to try it out Fri.

shooting results to follow this weekend; I hope. claproger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mt Al
posted Hide Post
Hope you like your new rifle! Left over machining marks are not acceptable, that stinks. My 12FP (el-cheepo) had them too, had to work the bolt a bunch of times to get things smoothed up. I love the trigger, its a great varmint shooting rifle.

Posts: 1064 | Location: Bozeman, MT | Registered: 21 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Flippy
posted Hide Post
You are right about them being a little rough around the edges.
It makes it even better when you out-shoot the guy with the $2500 rifle.
It will loosen up with time.

Nothing worse for a Sendero owner than getting your butt kicked by a SAVAGE! Big Grin

You are right. Those triggers are fantastic.
JMHO.

JUST A TYPICAL WHITE GUY BITTERLY CLINGING TO GUNS AND RELIGION

Definition of HOPLOPHOBIA

"I'm the guy that originally wrote the 'assault weapons' ban." --- Former Vice President Joe Biden

Posts: 1700 | Location: Lurking somewhere around SpringTucky Oregon | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Roger...

Thanks for your initial impressions. Please be certain to post your first range results. I am thinking of getting the same model, so am eager to read more.

What are you mounting on it?

Bob

Posts: 733 | Location: N. Illinois | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Savages are not the only one with machining burrs left on the action. My new M70 Featherweight and the one my son got a couple of years ago both had heavy burrs at the top of the feed ramp. Cut cases up something fierce. Hope I can get this one to shoot like my Savages and Rugers!

Posts: 339 | Location: SE Kansas | Registered: 05 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Borealis Bob:
Roger...
What are you mounting on it?Bob

For now it is wareing a 6 to 24 X44 Tasco.
Haven't desided what to get yet waveroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bartsche: I'm looking at one of those may i ask how much you paid for it?

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by blakeroth:
Bartsche: I'm looking at one of those may i ask how much you paid for it?

$669.00 + tax And paper work. beerroger