THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    Re: New /Old m700 VLS tuning advice...

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: New /Old m700 VLS tuning advice...
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Gents,

Thanks for your replies.

I did a trigger job to the rifle as mine is old enough that it had the slotted adjustment screws and was easy to adjust.In 5 minutes I had it down the a very crisp 2.5lbs that passes the slam test(it's safe).

My rifle is just SO cool looking to me! Like I said,it's the older VLS so it has the non Beavertail forend with the Black 90 degree tip and has the "Skipline"checkering on both the grip and forend.The grain in the Brown laminate is very bright and contrasty on this blank so the rifle looks very handsome.I can't wait to rub a little stock finish in the checkering,as the factory left it unfinished where it was cut and sealing will really bring the pattern out.

As to the bedding,I studied the stock inletting and I will get around to bedding it soon.Thanks for your opinions on that score.

As to loading the .22-250,, my first varmint rig was Browning B-78 22-250 I bought in 1981 when I was 18.During my years in college ,I had several other .22-250 rifles, mostly Ruger m77s.My buddy hunted with custom built Remingtons m700s,but for coyote calling, I always bought used Ruger m77Vs ,tuned them up and I shot right along with him most of the time.I also like the scope mounts and the tang safeties on the old M77Vs.

This Remington VLS,beleive it or not,is only about the second m700 I have ever owned and the first VLS,thus my questions.

VarmintGuy,My experience with bullets and powder mirrors yours.I have also had very good luck with IMR 4320 and H380 in the .22-250.IMR 4064 is a great powder that I have used in a .220 Swift.I have some Varget I am going to try as I like to hunt coyotes and often it's very cold when that happens..

For the time being,I bought a 40 round value pack of 45g HP Winchester USA ammo.I will sight in with about 10 to 15 rounds,look at the groups and then pop a few Prairie dogs with the rest while fireforming some brass for serious handloading.After bedding the rifle I will shoot some more of the 40g USA loads to see the difference it made..

Thanks for the help.In a few weeks,I will try to post some results and pics of the new rig..

BTW, Jethro,I was born and raised on a family farm in Howard county,MD (between Dayton and Glenelg).I started my "Varmint career" there sneaking up on groundhogs with a m9422 Winchester.I still remember what Westminister,MD looks like from the air the day my Uncle took my flying in his Piper low wing two seater!!

I had a GREAT childhood.Ah... the memories......

one of us
posted Hide Post
Gents,

A few months ago I layed away a nearly new used Remington M700 VLS in .22-250.It is one of the pre beavertail forend VLS rifles with the brown laminate version of the old BDL varmint design made from 1995- about 1998.It is truly a handsome rifle.

I had been looking for one for years and now I have it.It is one of the later rifles with the 26" tube.Before shooting it much ,I need a few opinions..

I noticed the barrel channel has a bedding pad about 2/3 up from the breech.I am in the habit of always glass bedding the action(plus the first few inches on a heavy barrel) then free floating the barrel out to the muzzle.I usually do this on any bolt gun I expect serious accuracy from.Since this is a laminated stocked rifle,what would you do?Has anyone shot any of these older Varmint Specials unfloated?

Opinions please..

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sharpsman: I bought a new Remington 700 VLSS Model in 22-250 last fall. I did not get to start work on load development or barrel break in due to the Hunting season here in the Rockie Mountains and then the wind all of December! Finally in January I got to shoot it for barrel break in and then for load development. The accuracy came easily for my Rifle!

And by the way my Rifle is the gray laminated stock and all stainless action and barrel. It is identical to your Rifle other than those things. I suggest you do a trigger job on the Rifle like I did to mine. Remington triggers once properly adjusted are excellent triggers. Other accuracy suggestions for you and your 22-250 are: use Federal 210M primers and high quality bullets like the Berger MEF's in what ever weight you desire or the Nosler Ballistic Tips or like I found in my Rifle to be very accurate and very deadly on Varmints the Speer 52 gr. Hollowpoint Flat Base bullets. As for powder please try IMR 4064 it has worked well for me over the years. Another bullet I like for accuracy and ease of obtaining them is the Sierra 55 gr. Blitz bullets. These are cheap, accurate and easily found everywhere. They are also especially deadly on all manner of Varmints and after all this is a Varmint board and I know these bullets will perform for you.

As far as the "contact pad" of wood in your stock I suggest shoot it a bit and see how its going then remove it if you wish. I have left mine intact and like I said I easily obtained the accuracy I was after. I have several friends with 22-250 700 VLS Models and they all have been happy with their acuracy. I am of the mind their Rifles were manufactured 2 - 3 years ago. My Rifle was probably made about 18 months ago as it was a limited edition and uncatalogued Model and according to gunstore types was going to be made and then offered for sale only in 2,003.

I torqued my two action screws to the following amounts: front screw 34 inch/pounds & rear screw 34 inch/pounds. Lots of folks torque much higher than this (50 to 60 inch/pounds). But I have had luck in this range on both wood and fiberglass Remington stocks.

I hope this little bit will help but if you can do the bedding job yourself its only a day thing and I am sure it won't hurt your accuracy. I would just try it as it sits first for reference if nothing else.

Let me know how it goes for you as I am a Remington kind of guy!

I sure like the weight, thickness, length and contour of the 26" barreled Remington 700's barrels. I hope it works out for you!

Good luck

Hold into the wind

VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sharpsman, I have the same rifle as you, but in 223. Mine shot quite well as is, but I decided to float the barrel. This tightened my groups a little over 1/8" at 100yds. I chose not to bed it simply because floating the barrel got my groups under the 1/2 MOA accuracy I was looking for (3's and 4's). Maybe someday when I get bored I'll do it, but for now I'm really happy with it and can't imagine bedding it will help much more.

I agree with VG though. Try it first and see what happens. I'm not sure if you reload, but if you don't, the white box Winchester factory ammo shoots really well in my VLS (3/4 MOA).

Posts: 445 | Location: Connellsville, PA | Registered: 25 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have the newer Remington 700 VLS in 6mm Rem. that also came with the forend pad. I had the pad removed, barrel floated, action glass bedded and got rid of that gawd-awful 8 lb. trigger pull. All total it cost me an extra $200. but the rifle shoots well. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

Posts: 1866 | Location: Montreal, Canada | Registered: 01 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Cal,
Thanks for the advice.

After going to Quarterbore's website on m700 trigger tuning,I had the pull down to a crisp 2.5lbs.I do my own stock bedding,so that will cost me about $10 worth of materials and about 2hrs of my time.

I am sorry to hear the work cost you so much,but at least it shoots well ,now.For what it's worth,most ANY factory Varmint rifle I know of will require trigger and bedding work out of the box.

I am going to shoot her a bit tomorrow,so we will see...