THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    Prarie Dog hunt....where should I go..??? West man, West!

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Prarie Dog hunt....where should I go..??? West man, West!
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hi Guys:

Now I have hunted from the mountains of Montana and Colorado, to the game fields of Tanzania and Zimbabwe, but I have NEVER been on a Prarie Dog shoot.

Now you know I live in Northeast PA on the east coast, our varmints consist of Ground Hogs, Coyote, and Crows... with rats thrown in for good measure with the pistols at the dump Smiler

I was talking to the wife and asked how she would like to take a trip out west some where so I can get some shooting over a pdog town. But I really don't know where to go, South Dakoda ...Montana??? How far west do I have to go?

She said the ideal setup would be to stick the Harleys in a trailer and do some cruzing when we get to our destination. All I could think of was the Black Hills Classic (Sturgis). Do they have pdog towns there? Probably way to crowded 300 miles around when the rally is going on.

SOOoooo give me some advice fellas, how far west do I have to go to shoot some pdogs, and is there any nice cruzing adventures for my wife and I on our Harleys. I have been riding for 37 years and wifey for about 10 on her own now, before that 17 years on the back of my bike.

She went with me to Zimbabwe in 2004, she doesn't hunt but loves the outdoors. She was with me, on every game animal I shot (10) except when I went in the bush on a fresh Leopard kill for Mr. Spots, he out smarted me anyway.

But back to these lil varmints..... where is a good destination to set my sights on?

Regards.... Jim P.

The Hunters Hut
Firearms Sales & Service PAHunter/ The Head Hunter
DRSS,NRA,SCI,NAHC
www.huntershut1.com

Posts: 1015 | Location: PA | Registered: 08 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There is alot of pd's within easy driving distance of Rapid City- I wouldn't stay in Sturgis during the rally unless you really like alot of action.

Posts: 869 | Location: N Dakota | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I dont think you would see much cmpetition for the pd shooting during the rally . Those guys are mostly interested in bagging 12 packs and chicks. (grin)

The biggest concentrations of dogs in SD are in the south central to SW, generally in and around the Rosebud and Pineridge reservations .

There is quite a bit of info about pd shooting on the game and parks website .

Posts: 1660 | Location: Gary , SD | Registered: 05 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Personally, try NYC... Central Park has a lot of them, and the New Yorkers will really be impressed when you take your varmint rifle into Central Park....

Purse Snatchers are legal game in NYC, I believe....

If that doesn't work out.... I like Montana myself for Prairie Dogs, but the number of purse snatchers is close to nil.....
And in Montana, walking around with a varmint rifle will not get much attention at all... Not like it would in Central Park... bewildered

cheers
seafire
thumb

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi Guys:

What would be the CLOSEST destination from PA going west that has pdogs? I know Wisconsin doesn't have any.. I don't have to go to Sturgis, that was just a thought.... a 2700 mile thought... I think it's approximately 3000 miles coast to caost, any place near midpoint..???

Hey Spitfire:

I bagged a potential wallet roller back in 1975 in Central Park.... he took a .22 solid in the hand. Damn that had to hurt.

Regards... Jim P.

The Hunters Hut
DRSS,NRA,SCI,NAHC
www.huntershut1.com

one of us
posted Hide Post
Central Nebraska or south central SD about as close as you're gonna get . Shouldn't be much over 1500 or 1600 miles to the east side of Pa .

Posts: 1660 | Location: Gary , SD | Registered: 05 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RareBear
posted Hide Post
Here's an interesting place, about an hours ride from Sturgis.
http://www.whitetailcreek.com/default.htm

Posts: 166 | Location: Cardington, Ohio, USA, 3rd rock from the sun, Milkyway Galaxy | Registered: 01 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi RareBear:

Hey what a cool place.... geez ....bar, restaurant, gunshop, plus varmint hunting for pdogs and Coyote. I sent them an email for more information and the free video.

The B&B prices are very reasonable, even when the rally is going on.

Thank you very much for the info...

Regards... Jim P.

The Hunters Hut
DRSS,NRA,SCI,NAHC
www.huntershut1.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 139 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi Bigdog:

Another cool place, I didn't relise that Pdog shooting camps existed, thanks.... checking it out.

Regards... Jim P.

The Hunters Hut
DRSS,NRA,SCI,NAHC
www.huntershut1.com