Tools

700 Remington VLS 204 ruger
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
There's some 204's available on Guns America for $639.00 Doc Stone

one of us
posted Hide Post
Doc, Glad to see you back here!! Did you read my PM to you? The .204 is as intriguing a chambering as anything I've ever met up with!! Miss GHD(Sarah) and I were out tonite trying to find a varmint or two to pop, and we got into a discussion about it and it rates right up there with the 17HMR as a member on the list of "a varmint hunter's got to have...."!!! If the Remington VLS had got here first, I'd be reporting on it but the Savage VLP was the one that got here so I'm shooting it. Could have had a Ruger 77VT 2-3 months before that but just couldn't bring myself to buy a Ruger!!!! That one finally sold last week! And the shop owner called and asked if I could spare a box or two of factory 32's since he didn't have any!!! I let him have 3 boxes! He'll return the favor I'm sure!! No transfer fees on something or no shipping!! Just glad to see you back here!!! Charlie (GHD)

Posts: 2495 | Location: SW. VA | Registered: 29 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanx GHD,
I'll be here loading up on varmit knowledge from the likes of you and varmitguy.Keep the good info coming. Doc Stone

one of us
posted Hide Post
GHD, Charlie, Have you tried the new 40 gr. V-Max in the .204? If so, what kind of velocity are you getting....I understand that the B.C. is .275....That seems very high to me but I hope its true....George

Posts: 142 | Location: Jaccksonville, N. C. | Registered: 10 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
George, I tried some of the factory 40's and they were terrible group wise compared to the 32 factory! I got 3650 or so with the factory 40's and loaded some using H4895 and also VARGET and ReLoader 10 and it made no difference.....my Savage VLP does not like the 40's!!! Using 28.3 grains of H4895 and the 32's, it is a consistent 3/10s rifle and that velocity is 4089fps and it kills groundhogs very well! For right now I'm sticking with the 32's. Have you heard of anyone getting good accuracy out of the 40's? The gun shop here sold a Ruger 77Varmint and all the ammo he had for it was 40's and the guy wasn't real happy with them and I picked up 3 boxes of factory 32's and let the dealer have them and that guy is tickled pink with the 32's. I decided after about the third test session with the 40's that if I was going to shoot groundhogs with a 40 grain bullet, I'd just shoot them with the 222MAg and 40 grain BalisticTips! You been to Grayson County this summer yet? Let me know if you're coming up and maybe we can meet up! GHD

Posts: 2495 | Location: SW. VA | Registered: 29 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Charlie,
I lost my groundhog hunting spots to new housing developments so I haven't been up this summer. I just got back from South Dakota shooting P. Dogs. I would love an invitation tho..I need to bring some Coyote hides up there to my Taxidermist anyway..Re: .204..Todd Kindler, Small Caliber News, has been getting 4000 fps with the .20 Tactical and fantastic groups according to him..I have found him to be very honest so I don't doubt that its true...His best velocity and groups were with Reloader 10X.....thanks for the info...
George

Posts: 142 | Location: Jaccksonville, N. C. | Registered: 10 February 2004Reply With Quote