New
Find
Notify
Tools

.22-250 vs .223
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The .204 is the finest sustained shooting no-scope movement chambering available. Bar-none. The .22-250 will burn a barrel out faster than a cat can lick its ass. The .17 Remington will foul faster than you can clean.

The .204 is accuracy, power, and speed.

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Buliwyf:
The .204 is the finest sustained shooting no-scope movement chambering available. Bar-none. The .22-250 will burn a barrel out faster than a cat can lick its ass. The .17 Remington will foul faster than you can clean.

The .204 is accuracy, power, and speed.

Buliwyf, I have never owned a 204 so I can't comment, but I have owned several 223s, 17 Rems, 22-250s and haven't had the same experence as you.

I have shot over 300 rounds through a 17 without cleaning and had no degradation in accuracy. I could have shot more but my weekend of ground squirrel shooting was over. Most fouling with the 17 comes from rough, crappy barrels. FWIW all my 17 Rems and 22-250s were/are Sakos.

As far as the 22-250 goes, I have over 6000 rounds through one of my 22-250s and it shows minimal throat errosion. However, I don't hot rod my loads and I don't shoot long strings that would heat my barrel, that's what my 223 is for. I think the 223 is the perfect balance between the 17 and 22-250. Lou

NRA Life Benefactor Member

Posts: 3316 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
BUliwyf wrote:
quote:

WRONG, WRONG and WRONG!!!

The .204 is marginal on coyotes when the ranges get a bit long. The 22-250, in the hands of someone who knows how to use it, will enjoy EXCELLENT barrel life. And in a good barrel and with moly-coated bullets (I hate moly but admit it's a boon for the .17s), frequent cleaning is but a mere afterthought.

And, Buliwyf/VG/or whomever, if you'll check the other replies, you'll see that you are in the minority here and that most agree the .223 is the best option for the ORIGINAL question.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9397 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Dr. Lou-

You are right on the money... thumb

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9397 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bobby Tomek:
Dr. Lou-

You are right on the money... thumb

Thanks!! Now if I can only convince my wife. Big Grin

NRA Life Benefactor Member

Posts: 3316 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
When people who do no reload ask me about a round I hit www.remington.com click ammo then compare the various rounds. One can bring up the Rem ammo using the 50 Gr Accu Tip bullet for their 221 Fireball, 222 Rem, 223 Rem and 22-250 Rem rounds. The data for the 220 Swift uses a PSP bullet which has a lower B.C. than the Accu Tip bullet. I also looked at the data for the 17 Fireball , 17 Rem, and 204 Rem ammo. I have a PACT chronograph and a ballistics program to test my reloades.. There are some folks that know what the are talking about others are full of BS....

tuck2

Posts: 193 | Location: Nebr Panhandle | Registered: 13 March 2003Reply With Quote