New
Find
Notify
Tools

pd shoot
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
just got back from sodak. me, son,and 10yr old grandson. sadly it rained us pretty much out,but we did get one days good shoot in.our ranks are now increased by one 10 year old. Big Grin tu2 old face wide grins abound. we knocked off maybe 250 or so, much to the ranchers glee. outside of the rain we only encountered one problem. we only shot 6 of the 16 rifles we brought. CRYBABY because we just had a few days we were limited to only 16, but geez a guy has to have a few new toys

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What the H, rain will keep the barrels cooled down.
Were the dogs out in it? OR raining too hard for them too? I've seen them out in a fair rain afew times.

How much ammo did you take? man, it's time you got a few more rifles, three shooters on a busy day could keep that few heated up.

Sorry it rained so much, quite a trip for that to happen. Still more rain for another week at least in these parts.

Better luck next trip,
George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5944 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There is very little more rewarding that watching a youngster learn how to spot distant small targets and then master the techniques and exhibit the discipline to successfully hit them. My grandson went the first time when he was 8 or 9 and at 11 is pretty much the equal of any of the adult shooters.

My experience has been that the dogs get much less active and tend to stay underground when there is cloud cover -- but maybe that's just because they see so little of it here in Texas that they don't know what it is so it makes them nervous Big Grin.

Posts: 13235 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Never shot 'em in it, but, I've seen them
out in snow several times up here.
Usually it takes sunshine to get them out for long when it's chilly out.

Never shot them in the rain, doubt they'd be out long if it's much more than a light drizzle.
George

"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5944 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
In addition to grandsons, granddaughters can learn a lot, too. Just explain to them before going why you shoot them and the harm a prairie dog town can do.

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
Political correctness is nothing but liberal enforced censorship

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
and that damage is NOT limited to just the pasture lands either. Stress to them many a horse and cow have broken a leg in those holes. Even at times when they fall thru a few feet back from the entrance.

Then hit 'em with the plague details etc that can and will kill dogs, cats, and people too.

Dad always told me: "The plague is a ranchers best friend when it comes to prairie dogs".

George

"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

George L. Dwight