Find
Notify
Tools

6mm International 6mm-22/250
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Anyone out there shooting one of these?

My wife's Rem 700 is about to be rebarreled, and she is thinking that she would like something a little gentler than her current 243.

She wants as much accuracy as she can get (that's why the barrel is as heavy as she can carry), but she wouldn't mind something a little lower on the scale than the 243. Also wants it to feed from the magazine, which pretty much rules out the 6PPC and 6 BR.

Back when the barrel was ordered, I suggested that a fast twist 22/250 might suit, but that got nowhere. So, now that the barrel is here, she's having second thoughts.

The 6mm-22/250 sounds pretty good. Any comments from users?

Posts: 121 | Location: Southern Australia | Registered: 13 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 6MM-22/250 is popular at the moment for 600 yd target shooting. Here in CT there is a shop building rifles for it and a group of shooters using it. I understand that Tubbs uses a version also for that purpose.

What they are doing is keeping the recoil to the minimum with a full case of powder. They use a 1-8 twist and 107 gr bullets.

Long ago I started using the 6MM Rem Intl. for 200 yd target shooting. That cartridge is the 250 Savage with the neck push back quite a ways. Even then it can be formed from the parent case with just a FL die.

Both the above cartridges are wildcats in the pure sense. If I was starting over and really wanted a smaller case I would also consider the 6MM BR Rem. However you may not get a repeater in that cartridge.

For just hunting or plinking I would not get any of the above if I wanted to be practical as I don't think you need 1/4 MOA accuracy. Just load the regular 243 Win with a reduced load of IMR 3031. That powder is really a miracle with light loads.

The 6MM Rem Intl. is a very successful cartridge for me. I loaded it light as most of my shooting was at 200 yds. My load was 31 grs of 3031 and the 75 gr Sierra bullet until they came out with the 80 gr and that's what I use now. My rifle has the standard 1-10 twist and is a 16 lb 40X Free Rifle.

What to do right now is get a can of IMR 3031 and just try it in the existing 243. I suggest about 32 grains and that should work with almost any bullet! The Nosler #5 has loads for this powder in the 243 and so does www.imrpowder.com

[ 01-21-2003, 18:03: Message edited by: Savage99 ]

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Good points Savage 99.

I don't think there will be a big difference in the performance of the two (6/22-250 vs. 243 win), and would stick with the 243. Download it a little if you want a "gentler" 243. I tried Hodgdon's H4895 "youth" loads in my 260 rem this fall (go to www.hodgdon.com to find them), and 120's at 2000-2300 fps felt almost like a rimfire, very pleasant.

If you cast bullets, or know someone who can cast for you, a 60 grain lead bullet at around 1600 fps is a very mild small game/plinking load for the 243.

Regards, Bill

Posts: 1169 | Location: USA | Registered: 23 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by John Bartels:
Anyone out there shooting one of these?

My wife's Rem 700 is about to be rebarreled, and she is thinking that she would like something a little gentler than her current 243.

She wants as much accuracy as she can get (that's why the barrel is as heavy as she can carry), but she wouldn't mind something a little lower on the scale than the 243. Also wants it to feed from the magazine, which pretty much rules out the 6PPC and 6 BR.

Back when the barrel was ordered, I suggested that a fast twist 22/250 might suit, but that got nowhere. So, now that the barrel is here, she's having second thoughts.

The 6mm-22/250 sounds pretty good. Any comments from users?

I think downloading the 243 would be your best option, here's a couple others to consider.

You might want to take a look at the 6mm/223 based cartridges. I have a Kimber M84 in 6x47 that is a dandy little gun that is accurate, low recoil, but can still push a 80 grain bullet to 3000 fps. I use the 80 gr. Sierra SSP bullet or the 85 grain Nosler Partition in my hunting loads.

The other choice would be to take the 22 caliber route. I've shot several deer with a 223 pushing a 60 gr. Nosler Partition or the 70 gr. Speer and a well placed shot drops them on the spot. Going with a 22 caliber CF will also make the rifle a dandy all-around varmit rigs as well.

Posts: 938 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 23 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of redial
posted Hide Post
I've wanted to build a 6/250 as an across-the-course gun seemingly forever but have never gotten around to it, for any number of reasons.

One reason is the same as others have posted - you can get what you want with what you have already by adjusting your loads. Such rationale kinda makes justifying the change harder, to my thinking. Oh well. Logic is the death of most of my great ideas.

Redial

Posts: 1121 | Location: Florence, MT USA | Registered: 30 April 2002Reply With Quote