THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    Hornady Bullets?? Never Seen This Before

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hornady Bullets?? Never Seen This Before
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I ordered some Hornady 22 caliber 75 grain A-Max bullets from a small local shop. They came in and the fellow asked me what twist. I told him my barrel was 1in8. He told me he had the right one's for me. I went in to pick them up, and right on the box it say's "Twist Rate 1-8". Right next to the boxes I bought he had additional boxes that said "Twist Rate 1in9". Both boxes were Hornady 22 caliber 75 grain BT A-Max. Has anyone ever heard of this?? Do they make the same bullet differently for different twist rates?? I have never heard of this. I did not check the model # for the 1in9's, but the number for the 1in8's is #22792. Is this something new?? Tom.

WEST BY GOD VIRGINIA

Posts: 248 | Location: RIVESVILLE, WV | Registered: 20 August 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I've never seen that on a box, weird.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12548 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They aren't both A-max bullets. The #22792 is a A-max and needs the 1-8 twist the other is a BTHP #2279 and only requires 1-9 twist.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
yeah but there twist rate is only a guide and can sometimes be conservative.

like with 162gr amaxs for 7mm. they say you need a 1-8 but they average under half MOA @ 300yards out of my 280ackly. they only changed the recommended twist rate on the box because people were trying to shoot them out of 7mm-08s etc with a 1-9 and 1-10 twist barrels. slow velocity being the main problem

Posts: 735 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 17 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
ACtually several years ago I ordered bullets from Graf's.. I ordered 10 boxes of 75 grain A Maxes...

when they came, some had 'for one in 9 twist" on the box, and some had 'for one in 8 twist' on the box...

someone would have to verify with Hornady, but I only assume, that they originally were thinking that a one in 8 twist would be needed, but found that most of the velocities that the bullet would be loaded under, the one in 9 would suffice...

I noticed no difference in the bullets out of either box... they shot well out of both the one in 9 and one in 7 twist barrels that I had.. both from 223, and 22.250 cartridges....

if you are just punching paper, and want the most accuracy.. the 75 grain HP Match is more accurate than the A Max...

Life Member: The American Vast Right Wing Conspiracy

Jan 20, 2009.. Prisoner in Dumocrat 'Occupied America', Partisan in the 'Save America' Underground

Beavis..... James Beavis..... Of Her Majesty's Secret Service..... Spell Check Division

"Posterity — you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it."
John Quincy Adams

A reporter did a human-interest piece on the Texas Rangers. The reporter recognized the Colt Model 1911 the Ranger was carrying and asked him "Why do you carry a 45?" The Ranger responded, "Because they don't make a 46."

Duhboy....Nuttier than Squirrel Poop...

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The old boxes said 8 and new boxes say 9 and I have shot them in 10 twist 22.243 with no problems.

Posts: 869 | Location: N Dakota | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The dealer just ordered these bullets fresh from the distributor(this week). Some came in saying 1in8, and some came in saying 1in9. I realize a distributor could have old inventory laying around. They both say 75 Grain BT AMax.

So you guy's are saying they are the exact same bullet??

The dealer did give me a good deal on these bullets. They were $14.00 a box. Tom.

WEST BY GOD VIRGINIA

Posts: 248 | Location: RIVESVILLE, WV | Registered: 20 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
Yeah, when I ordered all of mine, they were like $9.00 a box....all in all I ordered about 1500 of them total...rounds, not 1500 boxes...

Life Member: The American Vast Right Wing Conspiracy

Jan 20, 2009.. Prisoner in Dumocrat 'Occupied America', Partisan in the 'Save America' Underground

Beavis..... James Beavis..... Of Her Majesty's Secret Service..... Spell Check Division

"Posterity — you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it."
John Quincy Adams

A reporter did a human-interest piece on the Texas Rangers. The reporter recognized the Colt Model 1911 the Ranger was carrying and asked him "Why do you carry a 45?" The Ranger responded, "Because they don't make a 46."

Duhboy....Nuttier than Squirrel Poop...

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Do these boxes have the same part# on them? Same BC information on them? I noticed this the other day as well but they had different part#'s and one was a 75gr A-MAx the other was a 75gr BTHP. And the BC was different on the two 75gr bullets. The A-max was .435 and the BTHP .395

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Same part number. All boxes were ordered from distributor this week. The only difference on label is that one says 1in8", and the other label say's 1in9". Maybe Hornady just changed their mind?? Tom.

WEST BY GOD VIRGINIA

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I put a lot of time into 75gr A-Maxs in 8" twist 22-250AI. They don't shoot worth a crap! I'd jam them into rifling and stiLL velocity was all over.Tried some Sierra 69gr Match kings and whammo first powder Bullet combo was Dotting the I at a 100 yards.I think Sierra bullets ROCK !

How does it profit a man if he gains the whole world but looses his soul

Posts: 183 | Location: SF Bay area | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When Hornady introduced the A-max several years ago they had a problem with them blowing up when pushed too hard. Even people using them in .223 service rifle competition had a problem with losing a bullet every once in a while. I even lost tips when moly coating them in a tumbler. Then Hornady changed it. I think they changed the boattail and the jacket so the bullet wouldn't explode when pushed to high velocities. I don't use them anymore, but I think the earlier bullet was for a 8" twist and the latter ones were for the 9" twist. I have both at home and if I can remember to check tonight I will.

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

Posts: 827 | Location: Randleman, NC | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm shooting a 22-250AI I can't afford the barrel life trying to find the right load with A-max bullets.

How does it profit a man if he gains the whole world but looses his soul

Posts: 183 | Location: SF Bay area | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With Quote