Notify
Tools

17 HMR choices
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Lookin' to buy a 17 HMR soon

What bolt action choices are out there?

I see the Ruger 77/17 got a pretty respectable review in Guns & Ammo some time ago.
The Marlin 917 VSF looks real nice too with the heavy barrel.

What other models are out there that would be worth lookin' into, keeping in mind accuracy and an excellent trigger or a trigger that can be adjusted to ones liking.

What works for you guys?

GordM

Posts: 76 | Location: Calgary, AB | Registered: 02 January 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I have a savage 93 in 17 hmr, but have not wrung it out yet. I bought an nef sportster first. It had a very rough bore, but a few hundred strokes with flitz and it shoots well now. They both have BSA sweet 17 scopes. the 4-12 on the nef works good enough to try the 6-18 on the savage. Hope this helped; Allan

Posts: 20 | Location: Central Valley, Calif. | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Check out the CZ 452 or 453 both are excellet shooters the 453 comes with a single set trigger and their barrels are hand lapped and are threaded instead of clamped or pinned and they shoot as good as guns costing 3 times as much and they come in heavy barrels or light and nice wood to also, you can buy them at walmart or gander mtn. walmart you can order them if they are not in stock they start at 211.00 up to 435.00 go to walmart.com and type in CZ rifles in their search area and print a copy of the one you want take it with you to walmart and they will order it

Posts: 94 | Location: Orwell,New York | Registered: 14 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
I really like my Volquartsen in 17 HRM. The quality and workmanship is top shelf. They are a little heavy though. Lou

NRA Life Benefactor Member

Posts: 3316 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I completely forgot CZ makes their rimfires in 17 HMR too, a 453 Varmint just might be the cock for Dolly.

Dr.Lou, is that a 10/22 based Volquartsen in 17 HMR
that you're talking about, if so what does it cost for a basic 17 conversion?

Additionally how much more range over a 22lr are getting on gopher sized game?

GordM

one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
GordM, it's not a conversion. It's a straight Volquartsen.

Although others may have killed critters past 175 yards, for me I have found that it works well on ground squirrels out to 150 - 175 yards. The 17 HMR may have a longer effective range, but I haven't shot anything with it past about 175. That's an increase of about 75-100 yards over my 22LR. Anything further, I usually use my 22-250.

I am sure that my 22 and 17 HMR will cleanly kill things at longer distances, however,these are distances that I prefer to use these cartridges at. Lou

NRA Life Benefactor Member

Posts: 3316 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ChopperGuy
posted Hide Post
I also have a complete Volquartsen. They are their own rifle, action and all. The only common item is the Ruger magazine.

Mine is heavy, but a real shooter. I just took it on a prairie dog hunt in Montana. What a fun break from center fire shooting. On a rare moment when the wind died down, my partner confirmed my killing a PD at 287 yards with his laser range finder. We normally kept our shots around 150, but it was fun to reach out a bit when conditions permitted. I'm a left-handed shooter so I picked up one of the few models they make that does not have a right handed cheek piece, green Kevlar stock with a fluted barrel. I shot over 500 rounds through it over 2 1/2 days. It likes the hornaday 17 gr V Max, keeping them well under 1" at 100 yards. the 20 gr bullets never group under 1 1/2"

My other partner has a Ruger synthetic 17 HMR that he installed a Volquartsen carbon barrel on. It is also a really great shooter. He had to make a very minor modification to the stock for it to fit, but he picked up the barrel in the Bargain Cave at Cabelas for a song and has a very accurate semi-custom rifle.

Good luck.

Mike

If you are in trouble anywhere in the world, an airplane can fly over and drop flowers, but a helicopter can land and save your life. - Igor Sikorski, 1947

Posts: 681 | Location: Spring Branch, TX (Summers in Northern MN) | Registered: 18 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
GordM: I have the Ruger 77 V/T in 17 HMR and just love the thing!
The trigger is excellent and accuracy is such that I find it hard to believe its a rimfire!
Now this following is no bull-shit - I have shot groups as small as .502" at 100 yards with it (five shot groups!).
I now have a Weaver 4x16 power variable scope on it.
I have killt many Varmints out past 200 yards with it.
I highly recommend you get a 17 HMR Rifle of some kind!
They are the cat's meow!
As far as my recommending the Ruger 77/17 V/T to you I DO recommend it whole heartidly! The only reservation I have is the current price of these things!
I have had mine for going on 4 years now and to tell the truth I bought it from the Axman Store in Missoula, Montana. The gun clerk supervisor was livid with the Ruger folks for supplying him with guns when they could not provide ammo! He had sold several 17 HMR's and could supply the customers with no ammo! Result miffed to the max customers!
To make a long story short I got the Ruger for $390.00 (his cost) and no tax - also no ammo though!
When I finally did get some ammo I tried the various brands and they all shot startlingly well at 100 yards!
According to my loading log I shot three brands of ammo into groups that ALL measured well under 1.000" at 100 yards (all five shot groups!)!
I have NEVER seen a rimfire perform like this - EVER - not even ONCE, over the 5 decades of shooting and trying scads of various rimfire Rifles that I have now completed!
Back to the Ruger itself and its costs - if you can swing a deal (beg, borrow or bicker your way into a deal if you have the time and inclination) on the Ruger - do so!
The Ruger has performed FLAWLESSLY for me over some rather heavy usage since I bought it.
IF, YOU HAVE ENOUGH SCOPE POWER, 200+ yards Varmint kills are VERY possible (easy?) with the 17 HMR.
I originally had a straight 15 power Weaver on this Rifle and just recently switched it out for the Weaver 4 x 16. In my mind I would not hesitate to put a scope on a 17 HMR with a top end of 18 or 20 power on it!
Indeed I have a friend from the East coast that has a Volquartsen in 17 HMR that he has mounted a Leupold 8.5x25 variable on!
It is like a "Death Ray" on Varmints!
I have used it to kill Ground Squirrels, Jack Rabbits and a Weasel with!
If "I" could afford one of these Volquartsen's I would have one!
The Ruger 77/17 V/T holds its resale value pretty well though, so the money you would front for one would be a pretty good investment.
Best of luck with whichever 17 HMR you choose.
By the way I have two friends that I Hunt with pretty regularly that shoot the Ruger 77/17 V/T's and they also rave about their accuracy.
I have Hunted alongside (and shot) several models of CZ Rifles in 17 HMR. They shoot well and once they have a trigger honing (Kesselring's Gun Shop of Burlington, Washington) done, have splendid triggers!
The reason I don't own one now is because of the unattractive and always in the way hang down clips - the lady that owns and runs CZ should remedy this - ASAP!
It would increase her sales by 30% - MINIMUM!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
ChopperGuy: GREAT shot on the Prairie Dog there!
Congratulations!
I hope some day soon you will make the "300 Yard Club" with your Rifle!
I have killt Varmints out to 246 yards with my Ruger 77/17 V/T - and I was VERY pleased with that!
The 17 HMR is simply the KING of rimfires - no other rimfire even comes close to it, in the field, or, at the range (accuracy wise).
And what a great looking Rifle you have there as well! I am pleased for you that it shoots as well as it does.
What power is the scope you use on it?
Wishing you continued success with your 17 HMR!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
Put another vote in on the Ruger 77/17. I have a Nixon 4x12x40 Monarch on mine. I've had it for about 2 years now and wouldn't trade it for any other small game varmint rifle. The only complaint I have about it (other then ammo cost) is that I don't get to shoot it enough now that I live in south FL.

Good luck with your purchase!

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of holzauge
posted Hide Post
I picked up a used Cooper I like a lot.

Sei wach!

Posts: 621 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: 06 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ChopperGuy
posted Hide Post
VG:

I used a Burris Compact 4-12 AO scope on this shoot. (It's a stock photo I found on the web I linked above) That being said, I'd like to change it to something else. I'm not very fond of the narrow angle the Burris allows left and right of center to keep the FOV in focus. Plus I never used it at over 6-8 power so I didn't need more to whack them way out.

Next time I'm trying to make it over 300 yards!! The 17 HMR is just too much fun.

Good luck.

Mike

If you are in trouble anywhere in the world, an airplane can fly over and drop flowers, but a helicopter can land and save your life. - Igor Sikorski, 1947

Posts: 681 | Location: Spring Branch, TX (Summers in Northern MN) | Registered: 18 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a CZ and if I were to buy another, it would be CZ also.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Flippy
posted Hide Post
I do not have a CZ in 17HMR, but my CZ 527 in .223 is the ticket.

Can't imagine paying more money for the same (or less) accuracy. thumb

Posts: 1700 | Location: Lurking somewhere around SpringTucky Oregon | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gord M........Don't forget to check out the Anchutz rifles. I bought one in 17 HMR, and really like it. I have an old Redfield, 2x7 variable, with a dot reticule on mine. I bought the sporter weight barrel, instead of the heavy barrel, as I like to carry mine afield. Grant.

Posts: 336 | Location: SE Minnesota | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have 4 different 17 HMRs...

My favorite is a Ruger 77/17 in heavy barrel and a grey laminate stock...

The Marlins are accurate, but feel unrefined next to the Ruger...

the NEF Handirifle in 17 HMR is very accurate with anything, and can get banged around with no shown abuse due to a synthetic stock...

For the cost, the CZ is the best rifle of the bunch....but equal to it is the New Savage Model with the thumbhole Laminate grey stock and a stainless steel heavy barrel.. and drilled and taped for scope mounts...and an accutrigger.... at a local cost of $299.00 out the door...

I am selling my two Marlins, and am going to replace them with a Savage thumbhle and a CZ.

cheers
seafire
cheers

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the opinions, field examples and reccomendations gentlemen.

I've always enjoyed shooting the Ruger 10/22 especially in colony situations, and I'm sure the Volquartzen in 17HMR would be a dream, but with no Canadian retailers around and at a cost of over $1000 USD I really can't justify spending that much if it doesn't put antlers on the wall or meat in the freezer.

The Ruger and CZ are readily available here, now my only dilemma is trying to decide if the Ruger is really worth the extra $ over the CZ. Fortunately a friend of mine has a CZ varmint in 22lr that I can field test. Be nice if I could find a Ruger 77 rimfire to try out too. If anyone has ever tried both, which has the better trigger?

I have a new Elite 4200 6-24X40 mildot that I got a deal on a couple years ago and has sat in the box ever since, so I'll likely set that atop my new rifle. I'm not trying to set any new accuracy records here, all I'm trying to achieve is more consistantcy at the longer rimfire distances than I'm getting with my 22.
Seems once magpies get shot at they become rather clever and seem to know my limtations with rimfire and will land just beyond that range. The only times I ever get them while shooting gophers in when I get real lucky or I happen to bring along the 22-250, then they get a surprise!

Thanks for the input,

GordM

one of us
posted Hide Post
Flippy: Let me TRY to enhance your imagination!
First off, a full 75% of the ranches I Hunt Ground Squirrels on will not allow centerfire Rifles to be used on the hoardes of little grass/crop gobbling vermin! Manifold are the reasons, safety, noise, ricochet worries and like that.
Secondly, I put, an accurately counted 4,000 rimfire rounds, downrange at Ground Squirrels and assorted other vermin from ONE 22 Rifle in ONE season two years ago!
You put 4,000 rounds down the barrel of a 223 and every other year you are going to the Riflesmith for the BIG BUCKS, re-barrel job! Don't you all centerfires, all the time, types forget to add that $400.00+ cost into your budget every couple years!
Thirdly, many types of colony Varmints will tolerate to a greater extent the report from a 17 HMR as opposed to the obvious and much less tolerance they have for the MUCH louder centerfires report! More noise = more "scaret" Varmints = less shooting = less fun afield! The 17 HMR shines here! This reason ALONE is reason enough to have a couple of 17 HMR's on hand at all times!
Fourthly, visualize a person who does a lot of Varmint shooting - OK - then visualize that person needing to RELOAD the centerfire ammo that he uses! And said person can have a ton of fun in the field by simply buying some wonderfully performing 17 HMR ammo! Its no longer "fun" for me to pull the lever, turn the cranks, squeeze the levers and such for days on end in my loading room!
Voulais! No lever pulling and etc to obtain 17 HMR ammo! Just buy the ammo.
I went through - I am sure - 1,500 17 HMR shells last year alone! I have done over 1,000 this year so far. Figure out the time and sweat that a person like myself saves by BUYING 1,500 17 HMR shells as opposed to RELOADING (and all the tumbling, resizing, trimming, chamfering, re-priming, weighing, seating, sorting, searching for components etc etc etc that goes along with reloading!) the same number of cartridges!
Thank the Varmint Gods for the 17 HMR!
AND by the way - my 17 HMR is VERY accurate!
I presently reload for 8 Varmint Guns in caliber 223 Remington alone!
NO MORE PLEASE.
16 cents apiece for the 17 HMR ammo!
I GLADLY pay it!
I WANT to pay it!
Yes I have seen several CZ 223's perform in the Varmint Fields and they are fine and fun arms. There are some obvious advantages though to the 17 HMR's - they become obvious once one uses them extensively.
The reasons I have enumerated here are just the first reasons to come to my mind - I reserve the right to add to this list as need be.
Long live the 17 HMR!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

one of us
posted Hide Post
VG

quote:
I have used it to kill Ground Squirrels, Jack Rabbits and a Weasel with!

Why the hell would you shoot a weasel you jackass!

God only knows how many weasels get shot accidentally by varmint hunters unwittingly thinking they're gophers, and you're deliberately knocking off weasels?

one of us
posted Hide Post
GordM: Because they are Varmints GordM!
Legal Varmints here in Montana and I am proud I have shot at least 15 of them here in Big Sky country!
Believe me GordO, there are LOTS of Weasels and I won't take the time here to review ALL the reasons the State of Montana lists them as Varmints - suffice it to say they destroy TONS (literally TONS!) of waterfowl nests (eggs) as well as Pheasant, Turkey, Grouse and Quail nests! Not to mention the harm they do to all manner of song birds nests! Weasels also will destroy domestic hens eggs and kill chicks. I could go on and on in this regard, but I have a phone call to return ASAP.
GordO, you ARE on a Varmint Hunting Forum by the way - or did you know that?
Weasels are a worthy Varmint Trophy in my experience - as they are constantly in motion and dart to and fro seeming never to give a Rifle Varmint Hunter an "easy" shot! Several of my friends use shotguns on them for "evening" the odds up a little! This again is legal and "justified", there GordO!
Do you maybe want to reconsider WHO is a "jackass" GordO?
Keep shootin them Weasels boys!
I need me an omellette, real bad!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi VarmintGuy how many guns do you have?I've shot pretty much every production gun made and Quite a few customs I site in guns for customers so I get to try them all, but every time I see you post a reply you have 3 or 4 guns of that cal, so I'm just curious how many varmint guns you have and what brands and cals I know you like the 17 hmr and I like them too, but I don't have prarie dogs here wish I did.I shoot mainly woodchucks and fox,coyotes etc. But I need more nockdown power and windbucking power the 17 and 22 mag don't cut it here unless it's a hundred yards or less,I don't fire more than 50 rounds in a day of chuck hunting and I usually shoot 15 to 40 chucks in a day and that is a lot of chucks to shoot in this part of the country and they are not as easy to kill as a prarie dog thats the reason I use the CZ 527 22 hornet I get 3000fps with a 40 vmax moly with 13.2 grns lilgun that will get me out to 200yrds no problem and drop them then I use the fireball after that with 50grn vmax moly and 15grns lilgun thats good to about 400yrds then I go to the Remington 700 VSSF 22-250 for more range with 55 bal tips moly coated with 37.5grns of rel 15 at 3866fps that gets me out there a little farther longest shot this year was 820yards but thats really pushing the 22-250 I also have a 220 swift in the ruger heavy barrel great shooter but the barrel on that is about done and a 243 Ruger HB both have leupold scopes and my 22-250 has a burris black diamond 6x24x50 sf with bal plex. I've been doing some trigger work and accurizing some customers 204s in the remington 700s and xr100s and savages and CZs and kimbers and they all shot great in fact i just bought a cz 527 varmint in 204 for myself and put a bushnell 4200 4x16x50 on it, because it is lighter than the rest of them with a heavy barrel at 7.2lbs it won't be to heavy to carry for coyotes and fox this winter and it should be good to 500 yards on chucks.I'll find out soon they are cutting the fields now.Did you ever shoot any rock chucks with your 204s?And did you ever try the CZ 452 17 hmr? their barrel is threaded and screwed on like a highpower rifle unlike the ruger that is held on by 2 screws and a vee clamp I shot both of them and the marlins and the savages and kimbers also and they all shot well but the CZ shoots smaller groups.I have a 10-22 that I customized and I epoxied the barrel to the action that made it shoot better the 77/17 is the same you can improve the accuracy in it by doing the same thing the only problem is if you have to take the barrel off you have to heat the barrel near the action.The problem with rugers hornet is the locking lugs are in the back instead of the front and the savage hornet has only one locking lug in the back and it is a heavy gun and my CZ 527 hornet only weighs 6.2lbs it is sweet.Good luck on the prarie dogs it must be fun! got to get out there one of these days.

Posts: 94 | Location: Orwell,New York | Registered: 14 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
VG
Look, I'm not trying to cause a big riff with you. But if you're shootin' weasels in the same areas you're shootin' goghers, it's more than likely gophers are their primary food source.
We have a weasel on plantsite that I've seen on more than one occasion cross the road with a gopher in its mouth.

Weasels are scarce in these parts and we need more of them to deal with all the gophers.

Anyways, I do not live in Big Sky Country, so I can't imagine having so many weasels that they would be considered shootable.

Heck I never would have thought turtles were varmints either until I read about that on the forum. Shooting turtles sounds like fun.

Thanks for the 17HMR advice and perhaps you could send your weasels to me. clap

One of Us
posted Hide Post
GordM For the mony and accuracy the CZ 452 in the varmint if you want the HB or the american if you want a lighter weight, all their barrels are hand lapped!I'm pretty sure they are making the 453 in the 17hmr and that has the single set trigger which is excellent or you can get the brooks trigger for the 452 but either way you won't be sorry buying a CZ they are an excellent rifle with nice wood also.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Fireball10X: Varmint guns are my one weakness (sin) in life, for sure. A quick glance at my inventory sheet shows 51 dedicated Varminters in my vaults. I have a few more (6) Varmint Rifles that I choose not to shoot anymore as they have become to valuable to take afield.
No doubt about it a Varminter can only shoot one Rifle at a time BUT I derive a GREAT deal of pleasure seeking out and acquiring GOOD Varminters and shooting them at Varmints!
I no longer enjoy scoping them up though!
Nope don't let me try to sell you a 17 HMR for medium range + Chuck Hunting.
Better choices available there.
But for much Varminting where range is limited and noise is a factor this accurate and flat shooting little rimfire is very desirable.
Yes I have shot a number of Rock Chucks with my 3 204 Rifles and its a star performer on them!
I used to have some Rock Chuck country that for 15 years or so I could easily shoot 200 Rock Chucks in a long days Hunting! Tragically the early season Hunters got into that country and now its tough to get 15 a day there! I once shot 60 Chucks from one stand there and came back the next day and shot 20 more! Even with myself and my friends harvesting those huge numbers of Chucks we enjoyed that area year after year until word got out and several Hunters started coming there and Hunting before the pups were born.
End of fun!
Sounds like you have the spectrum of Varmint calibers pretty well covered! Your mention of your 22-250 reminds me that I am a piker when it comes to Rifle numbers - my good friend Armand has 25 Rifles in caliber 22-250 alone! I am certain he has well over 120 Varmint Rifles. He is a machinist and amateur Gunsmith and instead of yachts and sailboats and red sports cars and flying to Hawaii and North Carolina to Golf we enjoy our "hobby Rifles".
Back to the CZ's yes I have shot many models of CZ's (17 HMR's, 22 LR's, 22 Magnums, 204's, 223's and maybe some others I have forgotten) - but I have never owned one. They shoot great and shoot consistently well from the factry! I know that for a first hand fact - I am just having a tough time warming up to the hang down clip and a few other minor design features.
As to the accuracy of the various 204's yes indeed the 204 Ruger has proven itself to be an INHERENTLY accurate and EASY to make accurate cartridge! Much like the 222 Remington.
That is an interesting procedure there you do on the 10/22 barrel connection situation! To tell the truth I have always thought that installation would be a serious impediment to the 10/22 and 77/22 type guns accuracy! But indeed many of them shoot well as witnessed by my experience with these type Rifles.
I also have a Ruger 77 V 220 Swift (Liberty Model made back in 1976!) that has been to MANY, MANY Dog Town's and Chuck Fields.
In the past couple of years I have sold TWO Varmint Rifles to real close friends that I knew were great shooters! Both were in caliber 223 Remington. I wish I had kept them both as one of my friends sold "MY" Rifle for money to buy a weight lifting machine!
Asshole!
And that was AFTER I told him that if he were to ever want to sell it I wanted to buy it back!
That cocksucker made a $75.00 bill off of my benevolence!
Hes fucked now as far as I am concerned!
And I let him know he will be receiving no more favors from me!
I take Rifles and especially Varmint Rifles VERY seriously.
My advice to all is NEVER sell a great shooting Rifle!
Just don't do it.
By the way has the rain quit back in your neck o' the woods?
Long live Varmint Rifles.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi VarmintGuy The rain quit here yesterday alot of people south of me really got it,binghamton was underwater and in P.A.Wilkesbarre had the susquhanna drown it again.I was in wilksbarre in 1972 when they got it,and was working for HUD setting up campers for those people who lost their homes.I used to live in scranton,P.A. I had 3 Gunshops there.I started gunsmithing with one of my fathers friends at 12years old in wilkesbarre thats where my love for guns started.Then when I was 29 I moved up here to be a Charter fishing captain and Guide did that for 15yrs but all along I've worked on Guns and never stopped hunting.Now I live around 45 miles from canada and hunt deer and coyotes,fox,ect.behind my house and around this area which has millions of acres of stateland and hardly any hunters,shot a 9 point buck out my patio door last year he weighed 205 dressed,but varmint hunting is still what I like best.I had alot more Varmint guns before my last divorce LOL.I Just ordered a Cooper montana varminter in 6mm-284 can't wait to get it,but they told me 4-6 months I hate waiting.But I'm sure it will be worth it,I'm sure that will reach out and touch em!I really like pretty wood on a Gun and the coopers seem to have it, but you don't see it that much anymore I think they cut down most of the good trees.We tried to order some weatherby and a sako rifles with wood stocks for some customers and couldn't get them I called the companies and they said they were having a hard time getting quality wood.Have fun blowing up prarie dogs. Ron

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I own the Ruger you were speaking of earlier and I feel that the CZ is every bit as accurate...

The Ruger has a larger magazine going for it...

But of the three even if cost were equal and it is not... I'd still go with the Savage Thumbhole Stainless, with an accutrigger on it, for about $300.00 US currency...It is also drilled and tapped to take Weaver Bases....or Redfield style bases..

cheers
seafire
cheers

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi GordM,

I have a Ruger 77/22 mag and put a Green Mountain .17HMR SS Fluted Barrel on it and it shoots great, no problems.

Would like to try the lighter carbon fiber barrel like I put on my 10/22.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Fireball10X: I Hunt with three different fellows who live in different areas of New York. They come out to Montana to Hunt Bears, Elk, Deer, Coyotes and Varmints when ever they can get away!
One of the fellas in addition to Hunting Turkeys, Deer and waterfowl there in New York is also a trapper and got two huge "super blanket" Beavers last season!
Long live upstate New York!
I hear its beautiful there and hope to get out and visit there someday.
Good luck with the soon to arrive Montana made Cooper Rifle!
I hope it shoots as well as all the other Cooper Rifles my friends own.
Enjoy your "remote" and wonderful area of New York to the fullest - good for you.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well,
Thought I'd weigh in as well. I'm a budget minded sportsman (Army Soldier) and my buddy and I both own Savage 110's. He has an accu-trigger and I don't. Both of us shoot crows consistantly at 200-220 yards. After that, our percentages diminish. He recently picked up a ballistic-plex scope and we intend to use it this weekend. At the range he was shooting about 2 1/2" @ 300 meters. My scope is a Nikon 3x9 and now I'm seriously considering the ballistic-plex as well.
FWIW,
Ron

Posts: 67 | Location: The Pelican State | Registered: 18 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Cooper 57M LVT 17 HMR rifle with a Burris 4.5-14 X BP w/AO scope worked so well that I also got one in the 17 HM2 round with a Leo 4-12X scope. I like the pair of rifles for prairie dog shooting.

tuck2

Posts: 193 | Location: Nebr Panhandle | Registered: 13 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Did anyone notice the Ruger 77/17-VMBBZ has a 24" barrel, yet the Savage 93R17BTVS (the sweet lookin' thumbhole rifle) and the CZ only have a 21" barrel?
I wonder how that 3" difference affects ballistics? Additionally does anyone know if the CZ or Savage have larger capacity mags? Constantly disengaging the magazine and refilling it for only 5 rounds could become monotonous when plinking and downright stressful in colony situations where quick consecutive shots are needed more maximum casualties.

GordM

Savage 21" barrel

one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GordM:
Additionally does anyone know if the CZ or Savage have larger capacity mags? Constantly disengaging the magazine and refilling it for only 5 rounds could become monotonous when plinking and downright stressful in colony situations where quick consecutive shots are needed more maximum casualties.

GordM

Savage 21" barrel

I don't know about the CZ or Savage but I was looking around on Midway last week and they will be coming out with a 22 round magazine for the Ruger at the end of July.

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
GordM: This is "Jackass" posting!!!
Aahem!
I have several friends that have spare mags for their CZ 17 HMR's. I think like four or five mags apiece. That takes some of the pain out of the small cap mags situation.
By the way I have mastered the art of remembering to put one more 17 HMR round into the chamber of my Ruger before I re-insert the just filled clip so I am shooting a total of 10 rounds between clip changes with my Ruger 77/17 V/T (also know as the Ruger 77/17 VMBBZ!).
I am thinking the 24" Ruger heavy barrel may be slightly over the length needed for maximum velocity from the 17 HMR cartridge - thats a W.A.G. on my part.
The reason I greatly prefer the longer barrel and added weight of the Ruger 77/17 is for reasons relating to steadiness of aim (sight picture) in the field over improvised rests and such.
The next time one of my friends with the CZ in 17 HMR has some time I will set up my Oehler and do a side by side.
Or maybe someone here on the rimfire forum may have done a comparison already.
Again I think the Ruger 77/17 V/T is an excellent investment at least as good as the CZ or the Marlin in percentage of monies returned upon resale.
The ten rounds I run through my Ruger before grabbing a new full magazine is another benefit for sure.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

one of us
Picture of RareBear
posted Hide Post
.17 HMR, Velocity vs. Barrel Length

http://www.bullberry.com/HMRdata.html

Posts: 166 | Location: Cardington, Ohio, USA, 3rd rock from the sun, Milkyway Galaxy | Registered: 01 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
RareBear: Thanks for the link!
So it appears with this one barrel that the barrel length of 19" proves slightly superior (velocity wise) to all other lengths in 17 HMR!
Interesting and thanks again.
I wonder how much veloctiy I would gain if I were to cut 5" off of my Rugers barrel and run it through my Oehler for testing!
Naw!
I think I will live with the slight velocity loss of my long barrel and keep taking advantage of the mass and steadiness of the long heavy Ruger barrel.
Thanks again RareBear.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have the Marlin, and so does a friend of mine.
I have seen him hit squirrel after squirrel out to 140 yards.

Mine is only sub moa when I pull it hard against my shoulder. My freind says that is becuase of the trigger. I replaced the trigger spring, and it doesn't seem that bad to me.

I don't like the 10 round magazine. It hurts my fingers to load it. I like to shoot single shot. I have a hard time getting the single shots to go in. My friend likes the 10 round mag.

These were shot with my 17HMR

These were shot with a QUIK-SHOK 22 rimfire ammo

What does it all mean?
The 22 does twice the dammage, and the 17 HMR has twice the range, but the 17HMR ammo costs 3 or 4 times as much.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Hi mate, I reviewed a marlin a while ago here is the review: I hope this helps:

Marlin 17hmr Review

Posts: 32 | Location: NSW, Australia | Registered: 30 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
I've got an Anschutz bolt action with 4 round magazine and I love it. I believe it has a 3/4" barrel and it is a tack driver. You can shoot it at 50 yards all day and just make a ragged hole in the target. It comes standard with a crisp 2.5 lb trigger. But, at $850 it's not cheap. However, I think it's worth every penny.

Hunt Report - South Africa 2022

Wade Abadie - Wild Shot Photography
Website | Facebook | Instagram

Posts: 3109 | Location: Hockley, TX | Registered: 01 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DMCI*
posted Hide Post
Friends, I currently have a .204 Ruger, but have shot squirrels with .17HMR COOPER. It is a really fine rifle and with ammo at $80 or so per brick (500 rds) it is fairly inexpensive to shoot when you consider all the other expenses for the hunt (Gasoline, food, lodging, guide fees).

Shown here below with my .260 Custom.

--------------------

EGO sum bastard ut does frendo

Posts: 2821 | Location: Left Coast | Registered: 23 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Flippy
posted Hide Post
VG, sorry for the reeeeally late reply. I have been working my butt off for the past three weeks. What I was referring to was I can’t imagine paying more for a Cooper, Anchutz, etc. over a CZ. Nothing to do with the cartridge except I have one in .223 and it is the ticket, and it looks pretty good too.
AND it didn't cost $1500. either...

quote:
Originally posted by Flippy:
I do not have a CZ in 17HMR, but my CZ 527 in .223 is the ticket.

Can't imagine paying more money for the same (or less) accuracy. thumb

VG, believe it or not, I am starting to look for a 17HMR.

Posts: 1700 | Location: Lurking somewhere around SpringTucky Oregon | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote