New
Find
Notify
Tools

shooting with a spotlight!?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
well guys i finaly got a coyote to come in last night but in the process of trying to shine and find him in the scope he ran, i shot at the last second but it way back.my question is,is there ny tips or techniques of shooting and holding a spotlight at the same time??
thanks

one of us
posted Hide Post
Blakeroth: When I Hunt at night with spotlights I almost always have a partner! We take turns holding the spotlight! The spotlight "should" be positioned directly off to one side of the shooter - but that is not always the way Coyotes let it happen! Once a night Varmint is spotted the light man should slowly work to be in a position perpindicular to the Varmint from the shooter (off the shooters shoulder). I always wear a large rimmed hat to shield the scope from reflected light that will distort the field of view (image in the scope). That and a red filter will keep the "glare" down to a minimum and allow for finding and following your target better!
When I Hunt alone I use a smaller NightForce spotlight that easily attaches to my Rifle scope. Again the red filter and brimmed hat will make things easier for you!
Keep after'em!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mike_elmer
posted Hide Post
Blake,

Some years ago, I spent a little over $100 for a NiteLite setup with a red filter. It came with a hardhat which the light attached to.The NiteLite is simply a miner's light that has belt loops on the battery and a long enough cord for the light to run under my coat to the hat. Well, I found someone who had a "soft hat", made of coduroy and had the mounting bracket on it. That was the ticket. I just turn the hat slightly away from my aiming eye so when I pull the gun up and look through the scope, I am looking into the illuminated field. Then I start calling. It works like a champ.

The light also came with a bracket that clamps to the gun barrel, but I didn't like that set-up because of the excessive movement while calling.

Here's a link for you to checkNiteLite

Well, they really aren't debates... more like horse and pony shows... without the pony... just the whores.

1955, Top tax rate, 92%... unemployment, 4%.

"Beware of the Free Market. There are only two ways you can make that work. Either you bring the world's standard of living up to match ours, or lower ours to meet their's. You know which way it will go."
by My Great Grandfather, 1960

Protection for Monsanto is Persecution of Farmers.

Posts: 8421 | Location: adamstown, pa | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
I always take a second person also. Although I do have one friend with a gen 3 starlight scope. That is real neat for shooting coyotes at night.

Posts: 5713 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use a Night Force, scope mounted light with a red filter. It has a switch that attaches to the fore end with velcro, this way you can turn it on and off without taking your eye from the scope.

Now, I realise coyotes are pretty thin on the ground here in the Highlands, but it works good enough for foxesSmiler

John

www.kosaa.co.uk

A clever man knows his strengths, a wise man knows his weaknesses

Posts: 275 | Location: Scotland | Registered: 18 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use a Night Force scope mounted light with a red filter. It has a switch that attaches to the fore end with velcro, this way you can turn it on and off without taking your eye from the scope.

Now, I realise coyotes

Posts: 275 | Location: Scotland | Registered: 18 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Aust.must be the home of spotlite shooting.
They sell various attachments for the vehicle.
The fancy ones go thru the roof with a handle
inside.
Haven't done much spotlighting myself but I think our fox shooters just sweep the area
quickly looking for eyes. Immediatly they see
some the light goes out and only comes on intermitently to check progress. Aparently the
foxs get nervious if held in the beam too long.
No typos all just bad spelling.

Posts: 2355 | Location: Australia | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of NorthTexan
posted Hide Post
I just prop the gun on top of my spotlight.

Posts: 32 | Location: Woodson, Texas | Registered: 07 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of nightwalker uk
posted Hide Post
Blakeroth, I have used a scopemounted Lightforce lamp for years, coupled with either a red or amber filter - for fox's prefer amber as for me anyway I can pick out their bodies better than a red filter. I run the whole outfit off a 12volt 18amp battery. The battery goes into a rucksac on my back, not too tiring, and will last upto 6 hours(not constantly turned on, but ideal for flicking about calling etc). Use a petzl LED headlamp to light up where you are walking, saves on main battery power. Finaly you may experience lamp glare in your scope (coming off the barrel?), to stop this I use a sunguard and a Butler Scope cap on objective lens, position this in vertical position and you will be glare free.

This works for me!!

Posts: 418 | Location: Derbyshire, England | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote