THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    jack rabbits w/ 50 BMG spotter/tracers

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

jack rabbits w/ 50 BMG spotter/tracers
 Login/Join

<Glenn R>
posted
Tried the Barretts 82A1 in west Texas a couple of weeks ago. Standing in the back of a pickup truck with the bi-pod resting on the top of the cab and my bother driving. Spotted the jacks and when they stopped running, shot them using spotter tracer rounds. There was a laser effect as the bullets started to trace, then the explosion as the spotter cap went off when it hit the j rabbit. One flew up 20 feet and came down with no head or feet. Most were completely gutted, one with the heart still beating but outside the body. There were not many that suffered from a prolong death, it was immediate and dramatic. The shots between 20 ft and 75 yds

one of us
posted Hide Post
Glenn R,

Having shot the 50's quite a bit, I would say that you were a bit over gunned for the range you were shooting. I have no problem with using my 50 BMG on varmints but it is usually at at least 800 yards or more.

I would also not recommend the use of any tracer type ammo in a fine 50 rifle such as the Barrett M82, as they are really not that good on barrels.

Stretch your shooting range out to a half mile with some quality ammo and then you'll have some real fun.

Always remember safety first with the 50 as well as any other rifle.

Good Shooting!!

Posts: 701 | Location: Fort Shaw, MT | Registered: 09 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This sounds like WAAAAAYYYYYY too much fun!

<CatShooter>
posted
Glenn...

What a riot!! [Eek!]

Don't sweat the tracers... I own a 50BMG, and shoot M48 (spotter-tracers), plus APIT, and M17 (very longrange trace), and have no problems... just clean it after shooting.

CatShooter.

one of us
posted Hide Post
sounds like the ultimate way to do it. Kills, guts, skins, quarters, cooks, and serves rabbits.
[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Posts: 247 | Location: Butler, PA | Registered: 26 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Robgunbuilder
posted Hide Post
I have to admit to my favorite passtime of picking off the Kalifornia Ground Squirrels ( Meadow Grizzlies) with my .50 BMG. They like to sit up on the rocks and a near miss is as good as a direct hit. ranges are from about 100 yrs out to 600 in a very safe valley. We have alot of eagles and when they hear the sound of the .50 they know it's dinner time. They fly recon and once I blew a squirre ( or parts of one anyway) about 20 ft into the air. An Eagle grabbed it and had to fight off another one for the meat. Great fun!-Rob

Posts: 6314 | Location: Las Vegas,NV | Registered: 10 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Like I always say, there's a fine line (the scope crosshair) between hobby and mental illness.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote