New
Find
Notify
Tools

BenchMark in 22-250
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
$19.99 a pound is what they want for Reloader 15 now where I buy most of my reloading supplies. I was there the other day and saw that they had a 8 pound jug of BenchMark for a little over $100 and bought it. Any of you folks have any experience with this powder for 22-250? Would like to stick with the 50 gr. V-Maxes.

Thanks
Big-un

Posts: 81 | Location: Northwest Iowa | Registered: 05 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Benchmark is one of THE propellants for the 223Rem, particularly for those trying to stretch the 223 to it's upper limits.

I think most 22-250 reloaders to go to Varget, but Benchmark works.

Killer deal on the Benchmark.

AD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
big-un

I use it and it is great. You’re in for a MV surprise with the lighter bullets like the 50 Gr. V-Max. Approach Hodgdon's Max with caution. I found that about a 1/2 Gr. below max was it. I'm getting very close to 3900 fps with that load. One of my favorite PD loads it really pops them. It's nearly as accurate as my IMR 4895 load which has always been my 22-250 go to powder. Like they say try it you'll like it.

Posts: 1679 | Location: Renton, WA. | Registered: 16 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Benchmark in the 34 to 36.5 grain mark are going to do an excellent job....I love RL 15, but I'd pick Benchmark over it, with all things being equal... for loading a 22.250....

Like Jay, above... IMR 4895 has proven to be the best powder that I have traditionally used... followed by RL 7, then RL 10....then Benchmark or Varget ( about equal for accuracy).....

In that cartridge, I am more accuracy minded than velocity minded... because I am shooting pop can sized sage rats with them... at 250 yds, that target gets awfully darn small looking!

Benchmark will serve you well tho!

cheers
seafire
cheers

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
One of my favorite powders for the 22-250rem. and the .223rem. My three 22-250 all shot 1/2 moa with Benchmark, with the kimber Long MasterVT doing .2s with 35.4 gr. and 50gr v-max's
Definitely give it a try. thumb
338vt

Posts: 255 | Location: Left coast, Right mind! | Registered: 16 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 6XCVE
posted Hide Post
Hi Big-un, G'day mate hows it going.
Well the Hogdon designation of Benchmark is actually a powder called Bench Mark 2 produced in Australia by ADI and its a good powder for the 22-250.
I used it in my Winchester model 70 which was re barreled with a 26 inch stainless Tobler heavy barrel in a sako profile, it was the only one that would fit the standard stock, which was fine.

I tried all sorts of combinations for my 22-250 but finaly the groups got smaller when I used Benchmark (Bench Mark 2 for us Aussies living down under). I even tried the CCI LARGE RIFLE MAGNUM primers which performed well. Testing was conducted during winter so as to cut down on heat haze. My favourite load was 36gns of Benchmark with a CCI 250 LARGE RIFLE MAGNUM primer and a 53 grain hollow point Taipan. I used the CCI primers as I found them a little harder than the winchester WLR primers and they were less prone to flatten out. I used this load during the summer months while spotlighting from the back of a ute (a pickup). I STOPPED using the pet load as it had EXTREME PRESSURE signs during the hotter summer months. The pressure would rise to the point that some of the primers would rupture and the small piece of the primer would end up inside the bolt and the firing pin would get jammed on the small disk. SO DONT USE THIS LOAD ITS TOO HOT.

I finally settled on 35gns of Benchmark with a CCI 200 large rifle primer and a 53 grain hollow point Taipan for a chronographed velocity of 3750 fps. The critters we were spotlighting didnt know what hit them, with head shot rabbits there was hardly any head left, so the load performed quite well. On good days on the bench at the range it was possible to get some half inch groups at 100 yds but most went at about three quarters of an inch(hey not everybody shoots half inch groups all day long) besides when spotlighting feral Cats and foxes you only get one shot.

Anyway hope this helps.

C.V.E.

If a sportsman true you'd be
Listen careefully to me........., Never, never let your gun Pointed be at anyone, That it may unloaded be Matters not the least to me. When a hedge of fence you cross Though of time it cause a loss From your gun the cartridge take For the greater safety sake. If between you and a neighbour's gun Bird shall fly or beast may run Let this rule be thine "Follow not accross the line." Stops and beaters often unseen Lurk behind some Leafy screen. Calm and steady always be "Never shoot where you can't see."
You may kill or you may miss
But at all times think of this:
"All the game ever bred Won't repay one man dead."

Posts: 42 | Location: Brisbane, Queensland, Australia | Registered: 30 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Benchmark was not exceptionally accurate for me in my 22-250. I have had much better luck with RL10x. In fact, every load I've tried with the 10x has been a shooter.

Posts: 852 | Location: Austin | Registered: 24 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bluedot
posted Hide Post
I've been shooting 40 BT's over 36.5 gr of benchmark for some time now, will put 3 into 1/2" pretty conistently.

Just got a chance to chorno that load, WOW-4065 fps out of my 26" savage factory barrel, thats great for this barrel as it is one of the "slower" barrels I have.
Also chrono'd a 50 gr rem sp over 35 gr of Benchmark and it went 3795 fps.

Those velocities are much better than my old standby of 40gr H380 over a 52BTHP which chrono's right at 3600 fps.

Got to love that benchmark works great in my 22-250 and my 223.

3-7-77

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Like I said "Try it you'll like it."

Posts: 1679 | Location: Renton, WA. | Registered: 16 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey 6XCVE--I've noticed that all my one shot groups at ferals measure .000" too. We must be doing something right. clap

An old pilot, not a bold pilot, aka "the pig murdering fool"

One of Us
Picture of 6XCVE
posted Hide Post
Hey dustoffer, Yeah you bet the 22-250 does make one hole grpups on ferral varmints, when I shoot my 22-250, most of the time I miss out on the impact of the bullet due to the recoil. But I get lucky when my nephew uses it, last time he hit a fox at about 100 yds and nearly cut the dam thing in half. Well there wasnt much left of the middle bit any way, a real mess.

quote:
Originally posted by dustoffer:
Hey 6XCVE--I've noticed that all my one shot groups at ferals measure .000" too. We must be doing something right. clap

If a sportsman true you'd be
Listen careefully to me........., Never, never let your gun Pointed be at anyone, That it may unloaded be Matters not the least to me. When a hedge of fence you cross Though of time it cause a loss From your gun the cartridge take For the greater safety sake. If between you and a neighbour's gun Bird shall fly or beast may run Let this rule be thine "Follow not accross the line." Stops and beaters often unseen Lurk behind some Leafy screen. Calm and steady always be "Never shoot where you can't see."
You may kill or you may miss
But at all times think of this:
"All the game ever bred Won't repay one man dead."

Posts: 42 | Location: Brisbane, Queensland, Australia | Registered: 30 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have used becnmark in my 22-250's.The benchmark worked very well.

But I had too many different types of powder around. Therefore my preference is 4064 for the simple fact it produce accurate loads and I use this in my 220 swift and my 243.

Considering the price you mentioned. Benchmark will work great. beer

Make every shot count!!!

Make every shot Count!!!

Posts: 94 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 03 March 2003Reply With Quote