Find
Notify
Tools

223 wssm
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bullshooter
posted
has anyone tried out the new 223 wssm yet? its a really cute lookin little cartridge. could someone maybe direct to a link with some of the details on it.

Posts: 162 | Location: puyallup wa. | Registered: 24 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bullshooter,

Do you know my granddaughter? Cute, that is excatlly what she calls them. She wants me to built her a .243 WSSM on a Ruger No.1 action. Maybe next year. Lawdog

Posts: 1254 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
John Haviland did a feature article in the Dec issue of Handloader magazine. He compared it to the 22-250 and 220 Swift. Two rifles were tested. A factory Cooper Arms model 22 with 24" barrel and a custom Rem 700 with 27" Shilen bull barrel. The conclusion?

"When I buy a new .22 centerfire, it will be for the .223 WSSM, for several reasons. The short cartridge fits on a shorter action, the case itself is heck for stout, its little body taper is a much better design than the 22-250's and Swift's sloping case bodies. The rifle's one-in-ten inch twist allows shooting long and pointed bullets up to 70 grains. The extra bullet speed will also come in handy because coyotes bug me when they stand out on a flat plain and I only have a vague idea of the range. Long-range shooting is why I'm buying a .223 Winchester Super Short Magnum."

He doesn't recommend it for burning up bullets shooting at prairie dogs all day long.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
Check out shortmags.org. HTH, Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote