Find
Notify
Tools

Serious Problem Solved !!!
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of pdhntr1
posted
I have finally solved an extremelly serious problem that has plagued summer varmint hunters since the invention of gun powder!!

The problem (as all of you know) is excessive trigger finger heat. All of us have experienced those days out on the prairie when the sun is bright and the wind calm. Excellent for shooting, but soon the heat in your trigger finger can get to the point of melt down. Soon blisters form and in extreme cases the finger can actually vaporize!! I have seen this happen.

(See photo below)

I know all of you are going to be disappointed you didn�t think of this solution, but you�ll get over it as soon as you drill your first hole in your trigger guard. Guess what? It really works!! The holes let air circulate up to the trigger finger and cool it off!!

Not only that, you are lightening up your pd rig too!! The weight of my rig went from 17 lbs., 15.675 oz. to an amazing 17 lbs., 15.670 oz. !!! I know some of you are going to argue that isn�t much of an improvement, but I can tell the difference!!! I don�t get nearly as winded carrying the rig from my pickup to the bench.

There are some hints I can give you before you start this highly technical project. Use dull drills, the sharp ones are for drilling rusty steel anyhow. The application of certain liquids is advised. In fact, that is how this project took shape to begin with. My personal favorite is Windsor, taken internally, but almost anything will do. Don�t use a center punch, the dull drills won�t stay in the depression anyhow. When you finally get to polishing, take any stocks you are working on and place them near you so the polishing compound has something to cling to when it flys off the dremel.

I know everyone out there is saying,� I never would have given up that secret�. Well, thats just not the kind of guy I am. Trigger fingers are important!! I just had to do it.... for all of us.

Thank you. pdhntr

Posts: 731 | Location: NoWis. | Registered: 04 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
We've been doing this in California for years. If you use a tapered drill bit you can get the venturi effect and actually increase the velocity of the air going through the trigger guard by 0.00019% which really improves the cooling!

Posts: 12688 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote