Find
Notify
Tools

Idaho rock chuck hunt
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of TEANCUM
posted
Just back from a hunt this evening. My buddy and I got 36 in one day shooting 22LR, 204, 223, and 22-250 ranging in yards from 30(22LR) to 370 with the centerfires in a light breeze.

Did a little too much missing on the longer shots, but the wind was a factor. If trained properly those rascals can do back flips when thacked with a .223 at 3925FPS. Screwed up and left camera at home.

Posts: 1788 | Location: IDAHO | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't know about you, but I'm getting older by the day and always forgetting something. Drag that it was your camera. Details on the hunt if you are a mind too and have the time. Love to hear it.
GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
36 in one day isn't too shabby!! thumb
Kudos on the hunt!

One of Us
Picture of TEANCUM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Geedubya:
Don't know about you, but I'm getting older by the day and always forgetting something. Drag that it was your camera. Details on the hunt if you are a mind too and have the time. Love to hear it.
GWB

I also forgot my binoculars but did remember my 60X spotting scope.

The morning was filled with going to a rock pile by the edge of a hay field and having the farmer come down the field to tell us "Please shoot all them little sob's, they eat me out of house and home". It was nice to meet a farmer in the field and not have him upset that we were there when we thought we had permission but where he was pissed because we didn't. We had a pickup hood to shoot across with some predator rests that were the ticket for getting a solid sight picture. One line of rocks was about 6 feet high and 50 yards long at about 50-60 yards that we would scan for the close shots using the 10/22 and then had a centerfire set up on the other predator rest that was used for a rock pile that was about 285-300 yards away. We battle some rain sprinkles and changing light winds that would have an impact on the longer shots. The action got a little heated, and my buddy and I each had two varmint rigs that we would change off on to keep the barrels from getting too hot. The longer shots in that wind were hit/miss ratio of about 1 in 2 or 1 in 3 with a hit being observed by the nonshooter through the 60x spotting scope set up on a tripod with a folding chair. Actually it was just as much fun to watch the back flips and cartwheels through the spotting scope as it was to be the shooter. Well,............almost.

That afternoon we moved to another field and still contended with the wind and a light off and on rain with this time using the centerfires only. The range finder said it was 370-380 yards to the rock pile and the hit/miss ratio was around 1 in 4 but quite an accomplishment to get a hit under those conditions. Again a farmer came into the field and encouraged us to get closer to hit more as he was anxious to rid them from his emerging corn field.

The combination for rockchucks in Southern Idaho seems to be rocks (farmers pile them up around the field each spring), water, and pasture or hay or corn. The 22-250's with 50 grainers seemed to be the ticket for the windy conditions while the .223 with 40g. and the 204 with 32g struggled to handle the wind.

We joked as we stopped at the local corner cafe in a small town to sit down to good hot homecooked dinner, that it would seem easy to shoot a deer or elk in the head at those ranges when many times we would be shooting at a head the size of a softball and hitting them. Anyway great fun and great practice.

Posts: 1788 | Location: IDAHO | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
sounds like great fun. wish we had rock chucks around here. just thousands of gophers. but still fun with a 223 at 250 yards.

Posts: 115 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 25 October 2007Reply With Quote