New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sierra vs Nosler
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I worked up a good load for my 220Swift years ago using the Sierra 55gr SBT #1365. In my Remington VSSF, the Sierra over IMR4064 of 37.5 grains gets me .4s and .5s pretty consistently at the 100 yard range mark. Only work done on the rifle is I lightened up the trigger. Good enough for me. And the load works great on prairie dogs.

Just recently I picked up an unfired Ruger No 1V (probably purchased originally about 10 years ago) in the Swift. I just had a trigger job done on it. I've ordered and received 500 of the Nosler 55gr BTs and am beginning to work up a load for the No 1. Any suggestions on powder? I've still got half of a 8 lb can of the 4064 left and will start with that.

What do you guys think of the Sierra vs the Nosler?

Posts: 128 | Location: Rio Arriba County, NM | Registered: 27 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, since I've already gotten these 55gr Nosler BTs, I'm going to test load them up to work up the best load I can get to shoot out of my No. 1V. Back when I worked up the load using the 55gr Sierra SBT for my Remington VSSF, I don't think there was any other bullet around with the plastic tip except for the Noslers. They were always more expensive, but now I've got a little more money so I'm going to try them first in my new Ruger.

A guy who shoots a lot me once told me that if you can't get a Nosler to shoot well, then it's probably the rifle.

Posts: 128 | Location: Rio Arriba County, NM | Registered: 27 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I always used the lead tipped bullets as that's all we had back then. Today the plastic tipped bullets are calling me due to their better shapes.

So I am using the 50 gr Sierra Blitz King in the Swift. Keep in mind that these bullets are longer so don't buy the 55 gr Sierra Blitz King as it's too long for a 1-14 twist.

As to powder IMR 4064 always has been the standard. No real reason to change unless one needs to. An alternative is RL 15.

A 50 gr Blitz King at 4000 fps will out range a 55gr lead tip.

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Besides the Sierras,I would give the Hornady Vmax bullets a try.Things ha change a LOT in the bullet business in the last 20 years and lately,I have noticed the Vmax bullets outshoot the other brands when compared side by side in my rifles.I'm not saying the Vmaxes are BETTER than the other bullets,but I know for a fact they are every bit as good.

Hornady makes a nice flat based .22 Vmax 55g bullet but honestly I have not shot it yet in my current 22-250 as their 50g BT Vmax shoots so darned good!

As to powders,I'll bet if you fiddle with the IMR 4064 loads a bit,you'll need to look no further.It is a superb .220 powder..

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have used both and still like the preformance of the Sierra 50 or 55 grn pointed soft point. 38.5 grns of 4064 from my 26" bbl generally doesn't exit a coyote or deer. Like the SX Hornady for dogs. Don't see any reason to change as this load has done me well for over 20 yrs. My .02

Posts: 62 | Location: Texas Panhandle | Registered: 26 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Most of my guns are varmint rifles so I always have a lot of both Sierra HPBTs and Nosler Bal. Tips on hand. In group size I see little difference between them. Both are excellent. Most of my shooting is from the bench, and the Bal. Tips are the only non hollow points I use in the smaller .224 centerfires. I'd hate to have to say which is best. They're very close. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

Posts: 1866 | Location: Montreal, Canada | Registered: 01 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Those 55 Ballistic Tips are as likely to do well for you as any (don't know where some poster got the notion that they're too long to stabilize at Swift velocities turning at "only" about 205,000 rpm from a 1:14 barrel). I have run into problems with Ballistic Tips in some calibers with excessive L.O.A., but that's hardly a consideration in your magazine-less Number 1.

On the other hand, I haven't found as great an accuracy advantage to the Ballistic Tips (or V-max's) in .22 caliber as in some larger calibers. There are a lot of very (potentially) accurate bullets for .22 centerfires; it's just a matter of finding the one(s) that your rifle likes best.

The only .22 bullets that I've had consistently poor luck with are the Remington and Winchester bulk SP bullets, which are extremely inconsistent in the nose and the placement of the cannelure.

Posts: 13243 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Two of the Swifts prefer the fine Sierra 55 grain Blitz bullets (#1345) and their performance on all manner of Varmints is awesome! VarmintGuy

The Sierra "Blitz" line must have been changed. When they came out, along with the Hornady SX, they were to provide enough expansion for the .222. At that time the available 224" bullets just did not expand well at the .222's velocities.

I would swear there used to be a caution on the Blitz box that the bullet was to be limited to a maximum velocity. My memory tells me it was 3400 fps. With the subsequent introduction of the .223 perhaps the Blitz was changed?

I tried the 50 gr Blitz in my 219 Improved Zipper that would start them at 3600 fps and they melted and left spiral streaks of lead on the target. I never got past 50 yds and dropped the idea of using them up.

In any case the regular Sierra bullets work fine in the Zipper.

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote