Find
Notify
Tools

Simmons Scope
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of x-51
posted
Does anyone have any input regarding the Simmons Whitetail Classic scope on the front page of the March Midway USA flyer? Seems like a pretty good deal.

Posts: 128 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 15 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
Roll EyesThe other day my buddy and I were using rifles with similar Simmons' scopes. The only apparent difference was mine had silver lettering and his had gold. Mine was not near as clear as his. I think it is a crap shoot with these inexpensive scopes.Some are ok some are not. mona couldn't resist roger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty Marlin
posted Hide Post
the only Simmons I have is thier 44mag 6-20x44 w/ target turrets and fine plex.

I had it on a borrowed .204 I had to give back.
At three hundred yards I could see the white golf tee the target pullers were using to mark my target with. Yeah they're cheap but clearity of image was not a problem. I acctually like the scope.
sofa

Rusty's Action Works
Montross VA.
Action work for Cowboy Shooters &
Manufacturer of Stylized Rigby rifle sights. http://i61.photobucket.com/alb.../th_isofrontleft.jpg

Posts: 863 | Location: Northern Neck Va | Registered: 14 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of claybuster
posted Hide Post
I bought a simmons white tail [50mm]from swfa a while back,,for the money,,It's ok,,the a/o was rather stiff,,almost a two fist affair to adj.,,held up to a .300wm for a while,,moved it to a pcp air rifle,,the a/o is getting a little easier with use.I have another,,a 3-9x32 on a 10/22,,been on it for 15 yrs.better than fair clarity,,has had the shit beat out of it,,has never fogged or changed zero,,Clay

Posts: 2119 | Location: woodbine,md,U.S.A | Registered: 14 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Flippy
posted Hide Post
Had a Simmons 3X9 44Mag on a 300 Savage (99) for about 7 years. Beat the crap out of it for 7 years and finally broke it (not the scopes fault) took it back and got another one, across the counter, and it worked fine.
As clear as could be expected for the price, better than some more expensive scopes.

Sold it to "upgrade" to a slightly used Leupold VariX-II 3X9 which fogged up the first weekend out.
Wished I had kept the Simmons.

Go figger.

Posts: 1700 | Location: Lurking somewhere around SpringTucky Oregon | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have had the exact same scope, a Simmons Whitetail Classic in 6.5x20x50 on my CZ 527 Lux in .223 Remington for about four years now. For the money, it has been one hell of a scope. At the upper edge of its power range (20 power) it does get a tiny bit fuzzy, even with the parallex adjustment done, but what the hell, at 20 power you can see your heart beating with scope movement. It has been a relatively clear scope in the lower ranges and gathers light well. I can use it on 20 power to see .22 caliber bullet holes in a white target at 200 yards. Now, that said, it does have a down side. It is long, weighs 22.1 ounces and is more ugly than a bucket full of assholes. It has a crinkle finish on it. In addition, the huge objective lense looks like a television set mounted on top of that little petite CZ 527 of mine. I got one of the CZ-USA fancy grade American Walnut aftermarket stocks for it. I am thinking of trying out one of the new Simmons ProHunter Master Series scopes in 6x18x40 when Simmons ships them to the dealers later this month. All in all, it has been well worth the $99 I paid for mine from SWFA a few years back. Good luck ... Tom Purdom

Posts: 499 | Location: Eudora, Ks. | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gunz
posted Hide Post
I just got rid of my simmons whitetail classic, 3-10.5x50 . It was very clear, But the crosshairs looked like 2x4s crossing the target at 100 yards. They were the biggest crosshairs I have ever seen. i have other simmons scopes and have no complaints. More praises than anything, But that particular whitetail classic had way to big of a crosshair for my liking

Most people are link slinkies, Basically useless but fun to push down the stairs.

Posts: 265 | Location: Oklahoma City, OK | Registered: 31 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I haver two of them sitting right here that are being sent back to Simmons, because the cross hairs are rotating in the scope...

Must have been the severe recoil.. one was mounted on a 22 Long rifle.. and the other on 223...

I have two more of them availabe if anyone is in the market for one or two....Will ship Anywhere in the country....

cheers
seafire
cheers

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote