THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    Bobcat and Mountain Lion Baiting/Luring Techniques

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bobcat and Mountain Lion Baiting/Luring Techniques
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted
Folks,

I would like to hear your tips on calling/attracting/baiting cats.

My friends and I hunt on a large ranch in the western Texas Hill Country and constantly see Bobcats, mountain lion sign, and even a lion walking around mid day. It all just occurs at inopportune times.

Recommendations for baiting/calling/luring?

Which calls work best? I heard hanging a pie-pan from the ground will attract a bobcat.

Also, killing a rabbit and dragging it around a good distance and then sitting up to work the carcass. Do coon or hog carcasses work?

Urine?

Anything tips would be appreciated.

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3080 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of youngoutdoors
posted Hide Post
Where I live hanging some feathers from a branch near bait used to work good for trapping bobcats. The feathers moving in a slight breeze would lure the cats close enough to smell the lure or bait. The cats short nose limits it ability to smell very well but the frontal eyes dont miss seeing much. When calling you need to be very patient with cats. They like to sit and watch for long periods of time when close to the caller. I've seen 'em sit for up to 40 minutes and just watch the scene. Then again I have had 'em run dead on coming for 200 yds to a call. Most times they sneak and sit. Good luck and God Bless, Louis

Posts: 1381 | Location: Mountains of North Carolina | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
First, every single thing youngoutdoors said is spot on.

A Bobcat will come to bait, I have heard that a Mt. Lion will not. Probably are some exceptions, but as a general rule, you can't bait a Mountain Lion like you would a Leopard, or you would find me in a bushy blind just aobut every weeknd until I got one!

While a Bobcat will come to bait, I do not think it is as effective as baiting Coyotes, I could be wrong.

I have caught Bobcats on a pig carcass before and seen their tracks in my "bone yard".

Calling would probably be the most efficient way of getting one.

Good luck on getting a Lion.

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
Thanks! I've always wanted a Bobcat. I have a mountain lion (used dogs), but we have had quite a few kills on our place from a big cat, so we would like to see if we could take one.

Here's a pic of my cougar:

Here's a pic my friend took last weekend on our hunting lease (lower right hand corner):

http://hackberryranch.blogspot.com/

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3080 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote