THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    Best Low light and or NO light hunting scope for varmints?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best Low light and or NO light hunting scope for varmints?
 Login/Join

<Embalmer>
posted
I am starting my journey of Varmint hunting. I just bought a new TC Encore in 22-250 and will be buying a 223WSSM barrel for it once more info and dies come out for it.
But I am in need of a high quality scope for varmint hunting specifically. So for this I need a scope of great quality and the main concern other then optical clarity is light gathering. The reason being is I will be hunting in low light conditions mostly and alot of NO light conditions with a light at the darkest of the moon which in most cases means zero moonlight.
So I need a light that can gather light extremely well. I do want this to be a good scope along the lines of a Leupold, Ziess and the likes.
3-9 mosty likely but would prefur a 4-12 or something a little more mag then a 3-9. But the main thing I am looking for is light gathering capability. So what scopes are the best at light gathering?

Thanks in advance for your help.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Schmidt&Bender will fill that order nicley..sakofan.. [Wink]

Posts: 1379 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 11 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
For light gathering ability, I would give a close look at the Nikon Monarch also (95% light transmission).

Good Hunting,

Bob
Nikon 3-9x40 Matte Link-Tech Info

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bob in TX:
For light gathering ability, I would give a close look at the Nikon Monarch also (95% light transmission).

Good Hunting,

Bob
Nikon 3-9x40 Matte Link-Tech Info

Bob's right of course. The Monarch is outstanding.
The Monarch Gold, is also very impressive.
Nice to see Nikon getting it's due..sakofan..

Posts: 1379 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 11 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I also posted this on the Optics forum, but the Nikon Monarch Gold 2.5-10x56 is one of the brightest scopes I have looked thru.

This was for your sake, Sakofan! LOL. [Wink]

[ 08-08-2003, 21:45: Message edited by: Jon Jackoviak ]

Posts: 750 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 15 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Not wanting to change the subject; But is varmint hunting at night with a rifle Legal in California? IN the Southeast the only gun allowed in the woods at night is a 22 rimfire and then only if your are raccoon or possum hunting with dogs; and not in deer season. At night; if you get caught in a field with rifle and an artificial light source your gun and possibly your truck get confiscated along with a heavy fine.
In "no light" I would have to look at the various infra-red scopes. With no moon I doubt any conventional scope will work.

Posts: 230 | Location: Alabama; USA | Registered: 18 May 2003Reply With Quote
<Embalmer>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by Old & Slow:
Not wanting to change the subject; But is varmint hunting at night with a rifle Legal in California? IN the Southeast the only gun allowed in the woods at night is a 22 rimfire and then only if your are raccoon or possum hunting with dogs; and not in deer season. At night; if you get caught in a field with rifle and an artificial light source your gun and possibly your truck get confiscated along with a heavy fine.
In "no light" I would have to look at the various infra-red scopes. With no moon I doubt any conventional scope will work.

It IS legal in cali with any caliber at night as long as you follow these rules.

Not from a vehicle (which is illegal in daylight anyway)
the light has to be of its own power meaning not plugged into the cig lighter in the car or off the cars power sorce in anyway.
and not in designated dear ares during dear season. (simply because any dear hunter could hunt at night and just say that he was only after varmints)

other then that it is legal. It is also legal to light em. Which is how we will be hunting. With red colored lights to locate, then you pull a trigger on the light which turns the red color lens sideways letting only the pure white light out. That way the guy on the light can locate, the hunter calls out to burn em and the light guy pulls the trigger lighting em up like an x-mas tree. Then you have about half a second to get the shot off before Mr. Wiley Coyotes turns tail and vanishes!

The call for the burn and shot should almost be at the same time. You should hear the call for the burn and the shot before the shooter even gets to the "em" part of "Burn em" [Smile]

The night hunting is only legal for Varmints ONLY
no other game can be hunted this way.

[ 08-09-2003, 07:21: Message edited by: Embalmer ]