THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    Rem 700 aftermarket trigger info? Jewell/Rifle Bas

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rem 700 aftermarket trigger info? Jewell/Rifle Bas
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am going to replace my factory Remington trigger in an LTR 223. I need something in the 1-2 lb. range for coyote calling/target shooting and want to have a safety on the rifle. Considering either the Jewell AJ04, Shilen standard trigger, or the Rifle Basix L-1. Does anyone have experience with the standard Shilen trigger, Rifle Basix and is the Jewell worth the extra $125? Anyone know a place to pick up a Jewell AJ04 for less than $221? I would appreciate any help or input. Jim

Posts: 411 | Location: Smack, in the middle of Oklahoma | Registered: 18 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Swede44mag
posted Hide Post
I bought a Jewell with safety for my 22-250 Remington 700 SS Varmint rifle it came set at 1 lb and it's perfect for me. I can't feel any travel just 1 lb of pressure and it fires Smooooooooth... As for the price I bought my Jewell from Midway while they had them on sale. I can't say it is any better than the Rifle Basix but I bought what I have been told was the best with no regrets.

Posts: 1608 | Location: Central, Kansas | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jewell all the way , spend it, enjoy it ,shoot it , tell everyone you see about it and don't look back. Doc Stone
PS- I've got 5 little jewells

one of us
posted Hide Post
jbok, I agree with the above comments.I put one on one of my rifles and now I have one on every rifle I own..I did try one of the shilen triggers several years ago and it had some creep in it..Could be I just didn't know how to adjust it but it was there....The Jewel is the best and you won't be sorry for getting one......

Posts: 142 | Location: Jaccksonville, N. C. | Registered: 10 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info, looks like Jewell is the way to go. If you can't trust experience, what can you trust?

Posts: 411 | Location: Smack, in the middle of Oklahoma | Registered: 18 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jewell = nice, nice nice!
If you have not ordered yet, check out Kelblys (the guys who make the Stolle action), they sell them at very decent prices (at least compared to regular prices). Bruno's is also worth checking.

Btw, the Jewell comes with 3 different springs, for different weight settings. Make sure you get the spring for your preferred setting. Even better, make sure you get all three springs if you should change your mind...

If you want to keep your Rem safety position, make sure you get the right model... (ok, ok I know, superfluous comment )
- mike

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have to go with the other guys here, buy a Jewell.

You will not be dissapointed, for sure. The Jewell triggers are so great that they will spoil you for any other. I now own five of them and wish I had five more.
They are expensive, but they are just like high dollar optics, you get what you pay for.

I own a Rifle Basix and I am not impressed. It came on a used gun I bought and it is better than a factory trigger but that is about it.

A friend just put a Timmney in a rifle and it is alright, but is not in the class with the Jewell.

I have never tried the Shilen trigger, but if I was going to buy one today I would try it over the Rifle Basix.

I do not know where you can buy a Jewell for much less than what you listed, they are just expensive.

Be forewarned that the Jewell or any of the others may just drop right in or they may not. You may have to relieve the stock some to make the trigger fit. On my Remington 700 VS rifles they just dropped in, on the ones with wood stocks I had to relieve the stock a little.

The only thing wrong with a Jewell trigger is that one just won't be enough!

R F

Posts: 1220 | Location: Hanford, CA, USA | Registered: 12 November 2000Reply With Quote