Find
Notify
Tools

243 1 in 8 Varmint bullet
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Johnny foreigner
posted
I have just got hold of a 243 with a 1-8 twist.
I want to do a bit of Varmint hunting for foxes and want to use a Varmint type bullet.
Any ideas of one that will work well in a 1-8.
Load data would be nice too.

DW

Posts: 156 | Location: UK Oxford | Registered: 12 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
I like the 75 grain Hornady HP.. works well both at high and lower velocities...

Plenty of load data around... the bullet even holds up to being shot out of my 6mm Rem, with a one in 7 twist, and an MV of 3650 to 3700 fps...

Life Member: The American Vast Right Wing Conspiracy

Jan 20, 2009.. Prisoner in Dumocrat 'Occupied America', Partisan in the 'Save America' Underground

Beavis..... James Beavis..... Of Her Majesty's Secret Service..... Spell Check Division

"Posterity — you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it."
John Quincy Adams

A reporter did a human-interest piece on the Texas Rangers. The reporter recognized the Colt Model 1911 the Ranger was carrying and asked him "Why do you carry a 45?" The Ranger responded, "Because they don't make a 46."

Duhboy....Nuttier than Squirrel Poop...

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Since twist is critical for heavier bullets, not necessarily the lighter ones, you can basically pick whatever you want. A 1:8 is going to stabilize any 6mm bullet with the possible exception of 105 and 107 gr. target bullets. My guess is it'll stabilize those too. Either way, it's certainly going to stabilize any of the lighter varmint bullets.

In short, you can pick whatever bullete you want to shoot in a varmint weight without having to worry.

Posts: 852 | Location: Austin | Registered: 24 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
Kingfish,

evidently you have never tried to shoot a Speer 70 grain TNT or one of Hornady's older SPSXs in a fast twist barrel at higher speeds...

the fast twist, let them leave the barrel with so high of an RPM.. that a fragile bullet will virtually vaporize not far out of the barrel...

So you can't just pick any bullet with a fast twist rifle...if it is a varmint bullet, you have to make sure it will take the RPMs generated by the fast twist...

Stabilizing isn't the issue here...

Life Member: The American Vast Right Wing Conspiracy

Jan 20, 2009.. Prisoner in Dumocrat 'Occupied America', Partisan in the 'Save America' Underground

Beavis..... James Beavis..... Of Her Majesty's Secret Service..... Spell Check Division

"Posterity — you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it."
John Quincy Adams

A reporter did a human-interest piece on the Texas Rangers. The reporter recognized the Colt Model 1911 the Ranger was carrying and asked him "Why do you carry a 45?" The Ranger responded, "Because they don't make a 46."

Duhboy....Nuttier than Squirrel Poop...

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
dunno - i've tried an awful lot of 6mm bullets over the years, but my go to one has always been the 85 gr sierra hpbt

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
Have to second butchloc's recommendation. Actually, any of the 85gr seem to shoot great in a 6mm. I have a 1-8" twist 6mm barrel that I bought just for the 105 and 107 bullets. These are my long range prairie dog eradicators.

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
Political correctness is nothing but liberal enforced censorship

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
My favorite is the 75 gr Hornady V-Max, shoots well in my 788 Remington at 3300 fps. Whacks coyotes with authority. Should do well on foxes. Hope you don't want to keep the pelt, these little pills make big holes.

Posts: 4 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 24 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bob from down under
posted Hide Post
My two favorite 243 bullets are 85gr sierra hpbt and 87gr Hornady V-max over 35gr of Ar 2206 powder.
I have a 243 savage and a 243 blaser and they shoot really well.
A stiff load but not a hot one. Good for the wackability factor on kangaroos, pigs, goats, foxes, and rabbits.

Regards,
Bob.

Posts: 480 | Location: Australia | Registered: 15 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TEANCUM
posted Hide Post
My walk-a bout varmint rig is a Rem 700 CDL in .243 with a 4x16 scope on it. I've come up with a load for a 55 grain Nosler BT using Varget that gets me to 4050 fps with no problems of the bullets coming apart. I 'm pretty sure that the twist rate in that rifle is 1 in 9 1/8. Accuracy has been very good and the impact picture on coyotes, rock chucks and deer has been entertaining.

Posts: 1788 | Location: IDAHO | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote