One of Us
Picture of Old Elk Hunter
posted
Are there any prairie dogs in Idaho?

RELOAD - ITS FUN!

One of Us
Picture of Stormbringer
posted Hide Post
Never have seen one (does not mean they are not around I guess). Lots of ground squrl's and of course Southern Idaho is the center of the rockchuck universe!

Mike.

Posts: 94 | Location: Fruit Heights, Utah | Registered: 01 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bm-3
posted Hide Post
Yes there is pdog's in Idaho.

Posts: 86 | Location: Idaho, Boise. | Registered: 20 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Old Elk Hunter
posted Hide Post
Rockchuck universe???? Almost as good as PD's.
I'll have to check that out. Now let's see if BM3 is willing to divulge the location of Idaho PD's. A PM would work to.

RELOAD - ITS FUN!

one of us
posted Hide Post
some of the ground squirrels are protected i guess? in idaho that is. anyone familiar with this.

One of Us
Picture of bm-3
posted Hide Post
The pdogs that I know about are on privet ground. The one ranch that I hunt on a lot sold and the new owner will not talk to me. I think they are from southern Ca and are anti hunting. The second place that I go to, the forest service has not opened the road yet.

As for some ground squirrels being protected here in Idaho, that is true. I'll look up the link and post it late on today.

The Whistle pigs and Jacks are very high in numbers this year. I've taken 12 Jacks with my trap gun in half an hour driving home from the gun club.

I hope this helps some.
Bill.

Posts: 86 | Location: Idaho, Boise. | Registered: 20 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DMCI*
posted Hide Post
I was in the Boise area this weekend for a rifle match.

Spent the few days previous looking for a place to shoot squirrels after purchasing a $26 non-game gun license.

Was advised that the best place was out near Black's Creek North of the Freeway. Saw no squirrels and every bit of land was posted. Looked like a University Project as all markers seemed to be painted out of the same orange can, etc.

Then tried south of the Freeway East of the Truck stop. Was advised by a "Mad as Hell" citizen that everything east of the river (Snake?) and south of the freeway was a bird sanctuary. (He threatened to call ADA County Sheriff, State Police, and National Guard!) Never even got out a rifle just my binoculars, but it even that was enough to make him go ballistic. Saw a lot of squirrels but never got a shot.

Friendly IDAHOANS are apparently a myth.

Contacted a local Attorney friend (Retired USAF) and was advised that once you get east of the Boise Area by 40 or 50 miles towards Mountain Home that things change. There are three areas marked on a map at the IDAHO GAME Web site that show the areas where there are "endangered species" of Squirrels. These are relatively limited however.

Bottom line, I will continue to spend my hunting dollars in Montana, and get the word out about this Idaho weirdness.

PS: I will note one thing that was obvious. While I consider myself an ethical hunter and very saftey consious, I note that even in these posted areas, every street sign, stop sign, etc looked like it had been fired at by shot guns or rim fire rifles. Certain areas that had been set up as ad hoc rifle ranges were heavily littered with sofas, appliances, bottles, and broken articles of every description. Really bad in my opinion.

--------------------

EGO sum bastard ut does frendo

Posts: 2821 | Location: Left Coast | Registered: 23 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yup we Idahoans are all weird and there is no good vermin hunting in Idaho. You should go to montana !!LOL! You were so close to some of the best barrel burning whistle pig spots going. I would suggest next time you should buy a BLM map. Or just go to some other state. Cheers! PS. I am sure that in other states near popular shooting areas the rednecks leave the street signs alone.

Posts: 485 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 17 January 2001Reply With Quote