New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best time to call?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
How about giving a rookie some advise. What is the best time of day to call?

I just got my caller and have made two unsucessful attempts, both in the late afternoon.

On the last attempt at about 3:30 p.m. I decided to hunt from a deer stand, I placed my rifle in the stand, went to set up the caller and decoy, and there was a coyote looking at me in the field about 125 yds away. He of course made a dash across the field when he and I locked eyes. I ran back to the stand, and climbed in, grabbed my rifle. The coyote had stopped in front of a tree line about 250 yds out looking back in my direction. I was having a hard time catching my breath to make the shot and he decided to run off. I took a shot, but missed. Tried calling there after about a 15 min brake, for about 30 minutes intermittedly. No luck. Tried another location later and no luck. Just wondering what would be the best time of the day to hunt generally.

Posts: 3494 | Location: Des Allemands, La. | Registered: 17 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
Over the years, my most successfull stands have been right at first and last light. If it is cold enough and they are moving, you can call them in all day long. Try getting on your fist stand about 20 minutes before first light. Go in slow and quiet. Let things settle down and start calling as soon as you have good shooting light. Keep making stands until they stop coming.

This should help a bit........

Good Hunting,

Bob

There is room for all of God's creatures....right next to the mashed potatoes.
http://texaspredatorposse.ipbhost.com/

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Got to the predator masters website and read, read, read..
There is so much to learn, yet it is not difficult, it is just that there are a few simple rules that you must learn to greatly increase your odds.
But to answer your question about any time of day will work in different areas, for example in a lot of the country around here in the mornings a dying rabbit call on the flats works great, and then after about 10;30 I head to the trees and use bird sounds until the evenings when I will head to the flats again.
Somwthing else to remember, there has been many a good stand busted because someone tromped right out in the open to set up a decoy..
Often times it is so much better to just sit your rear down and start making some noise.

(When I was a kid my father used to tell me that God hated a coward, I finally realized he has even less use for a fool.)

Posts: 887 | Location: Northwest Az | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
You can also go to the Texas Predator Posse and read, read, read............ Cool

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Bob and bucko for your responses I will do my required reading. Bucko put me down as one who got busted putting out the decoy out in the open. Frowner

Posts: 3494 | Location: Des Allemands, La. | Registered: 17 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
bucko is dead on there. It also applies to going over the top of a hill and silhouetting yourself instead of going around the hill below the horizon, preferably in the shade if you can.

Bob

One of Us
Picture of cessna
posted Hide Post
Good advise from Bob. Keep it simple. Camo yourself completely, especially your face and hands. Getting into position early before first light is my favorite time. Good luck!

Posts: 430 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The best time of day for me is when I am out there. I see little difference between early, midday or late afternoon. The coyotes are still out there, doing what they do.

I've never called at night but have heard that it can be the 'best' time. I do well enough during daylight that I have never had the need to try nights.

Posts: 620 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
Best time to call my house is between 6:30 and 8:30 PM....

sometimes we don't get home until 6pm...

Life Member: The American Vast Right Wing Conspiracy

Jan 20, 2009.. Prisoner in Dumocrat 'Occupied America', Partisan in the 'Save America' Underground

Beavis..... James Beavis..... Of Her Majesty's Secret Service..... Spell Check Division

"Posterity — you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it."
John Quincy Adams

A reporter did a human-interest piece on the Texas Rangers. The reporter recognized the Colt Model 1911 the Ranger was carrying and asked him "Why do you carry a 45?" The Ranger responded, "Because they don't make a 46."

Duhboy....Nuttier than Squirrel Poop...

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've heard it said on the ARPF that you are a varmint, amoung other things, but thanks for the info. Wink

One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Larry Matherne:
I've heard it said on the ARPF that you are a varmint, amoung other things, but thanks for the info. Wink

only to the lefties Larry... only to the lefties...

Life Member: The American Vast Right Wing Conspiracy

Jan 20, 2009.. Prisoner in Dumocrat 'Occupied America', Partisan in the 'Save America' Underground

Beavis..... James Beavis..... Of Her Majesty's Secret Service..... Spell Check Division

"Posterity — you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it."
John Quincy Adams

A reporter did a human-interest piece on the Texas Rangers. The reporter recognized the Colt Model 1911 the Ranger was carrying and asked him "Why do you carry a 45?" The Ranger responded, "Because they don't make a 46."

Duhboy....Nuttier than Squirrel Poop...

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote