THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    two-stage trigger for hunting?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

two-stage trigger for hunting?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I've never actually owned nor shot a two-stage trigger. All of my bolt guns have real niche single-stage triggers. However, I'm having a custom AR built, and I am really leaning toward a Jewell two-stage match trigger. The rifle will be chambered in .204 Ruger and will be mostly used on called coyotes and woodchucks.

I know the AR requires a little heavier trigger, and this makes the two stage appealing to me. However, I know there are some real good single stage triggers (JP Match, Accuracy Speaks, Jard) out there that can be set to 3.5 lbs and still break like a glass rod. What to do, what to do...

Do those of you using two-stage triggers find them to be effective in the field, say for a double on yotes? I can really see their advantage on the bench, but am I giving up anything in the hunting situation?

Do you find it relatively easy to transition between two and single stage triggers?

I know that I won't know for sure until I experience it. Just curious as to what others have found.

Thanks.

Posts: 173 | Location: Michigan, USA | Registered: 25 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used a springfield with a 2 stage last year deer hunting, and it wasn't an issue- first time I used one, I kinda liked it.

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would recommend you stay with what you are used to.
That said if you want to use a two stage trigger, practice practice. Your selection of Jewell is top notch. I have and use an AR with a Jewell, sweet.

muck

Posts: 1052 | Location: Southern OHIO USA | Registered: 17 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a Ruger VT with its version of a 2 stage trigger and I like it........for me its not a problem to switch back and forth to my single stage triggers.

Posts: 1660 | Location: Gary , SD | Registered: 05 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys.

No problem with follow up shots using the two-stage?

Posts: 173 | Location: Michigan, USA | Registered: 25 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
in my case there's always a lot of those... no problem.

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
you will not loose any advantage buy going with a good two stage trigger i had a kepplinger installed on by 30'06 mauser, love it, in switching back and froth from 2 stage to single stage , i like the 2 stage way better,talk 2 shooters that own both types,regards jjmp

Posts: 999 | Location: wisconsin | Registered: 26 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty Marlin
posted Hide Post
The only problem I have with two stage triggers is when I go back to light single stage triggers. I go to take up the slack in the first stage, and the gun fires. Definatly a suprise the first time, but its almost always right where I want it.

Rusty's Action Works
Montross VA.
Action work for Cowboy Shooters &
Manufacturer of Stylized Rigby rifle sights. http://i61.photobucket.com/alb.../th_isofrontleft.jpg

Posts: 863 | Location: Northern Neck Va | Registered: 14 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rusty, that is exactly the problem that I could forsee happening to me. Time will tell. I did end up going with the Jewell Match two-stage.

One of Us
Picture of Collins
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty Marlin:
The only problem I have with two stage triggers is when I go back to light single stage triggers. I go to take up the slack in the first stage, and the gun fires. Definatly a suprise the first time, but its almost always right where I want it.

Second that! My HS 50 is the only gun I have with a 2 stage trigger and works great. My 6724 (Colt Accurized AR) has the lightest single stage I own but I have double fired it on a couple of occasions. Not the hot ticked when shooting next to LE guys. They want to take you to prison right now and it's about a hour to explain that because of the recoil and reaction the trigger was actually pulled twice in about 0.01 of a second. I have a two stage to drop in but haven't got the "round tuit" yet.

Collins
Airgunner / 458 SOCOMer/ 45-70er / 458 Lotter

www.actionairgun.com LIVE NOW

Posts: 2327 | Location: The Sunny South! St. Augustine, FL | Registered: 29 May 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Hi,
I have several AR's. I have tried all of the triggers. The one I like the best, is the new Timney drop in unit. Single stage, 2.5 to 3 lb pull. No pre-travel, no take up, just breaks really clean. The Gisele might come close to that, but I haven't tried one of those yet. The Timney is 200.00, so it is not priced too high. I tried the Rock River two stage, and it is a nice trigger. I just had a hard time getting used to it.
Wayne

Posts: 17 | Location: Battle Ground, Washington | Registered: 11 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just replaced the stock Ruger #1 trigger with a Kepplinger set trigger.

I went from 4 pounds to 1.5 pounds regular and 1.0 pounds set.

The gun goes off when I touch the 1 pound, so I don't use it much. I mostly just shoot it with the 1.5 pound regular mode when varmint hunting.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote