Find
Notify
Tools

An old varminter revisited
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted
6 x 47 What would it be like to use the modern 55 grain type Plastic tip varmint bullets???

About 25 years ago I shot a small Ssako action 6 x 47 (6mm/.222Mag) with a 1 in 10 twist in a Douglass air gauged barrel. Using the 75 grain Hornady HP's many a woodchuck met his fate. Now I was just cleaning some space in the loading room and came up with some empty brass. This odf course caused a novel thought to enter the cobwebbed recesses of this man's crainium. Anybody doing just this sort of thing?

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Go for it!!! Big Grin
Build one..LOL
I had a 6x47 built in 1970. It shot very well using 75 grain bullets, Sierra's I think. Sold the rifle, and am sorry I did, as it shot a .400 group at 200 yards back then. Mine had a Hart barrel, and I don't remember what twist it had. It was on a sleeved 700 action.

I think a 6x47 sporter built today would be awesome...
Now you have me thinking..Grins

Don

Don

one of us
posted Hide Post
I shoot a similar size 6mm based on 30-30 brass, 1-10 twist. I would give the 58 gr. Vmax a try as they shoot excellent in my rifle and have the usual effects on small furry creatures. I will get about 3450 fps with those.

Posts: 901 | Location: Denver, CO USA | Registered: 01 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by skb2706:
I shoot a similar size 6mm based on 30-30 brass, 1-10 twist. I would give the 58 gr. Vmax a try as they shoot excellent in my rifle and have the usual effects on small furry creatures. I will get about 3450 fps with those.

With the 30-30 case as a basis for the round, it would be a natural on a single shot rifle like a Win High Wall. I get all choke up over single shot's... Big Grin
Sounds like a VERY good round.

Don

<slancey>
posted
I've shot about 1000 Nosler 55s through a Sako L46 in 6mm TCU. I shoot mostly prairie dogs. It's a laser beam with any of the 55 plastic tips. I get 3300 fps from a 24" Krieger barrel with a 10 twist, and great accuracy. Just make the throat short enough so the light bullets will reach the lands.

<slancey>
posted
Scratch that twist rate.
My 6mm TCU is a 1:14".
Just for your information, the 6mm TCU is a .223 Rem. improved case necked up to .243". Very similar in ballistics to the 6x47. Long barrel life, easy to clean, and shoots almost any load very well. Also great in the wind. I'm surprised more varminters haven't caught on to the mini 6mm's.

One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
slancey, Now we are talkin! This is esactly what I expected to "discover"... the little 6's kick varmint arses. I would have guessed that 3500 ft/secs would be possible with a 55 gr, but anything over 3300 has got to produce Red mist.

Thank you for the replies.

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
<slancey>
posted
The mist is there, and the carnage is even better than the .22 calibers. I think 3400 is possible. I've never tried 3500. You would have to load way over the listed max. 3350 is plenty.
I think the heavier bullet weight is what causes the increased thumping. The 55 grain Ballistic Tip or Blitz King does more damage than the .17 and .223 Rem.