New
Find
Notify
Tools

Heavy BT's in 25-06
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
ok guys, i just picked up a 25-06 on a remington action. It has a Hart 10" twist barrel on it. I am planning on using this rifle for a long range varmint gun (primarily crows and groundhogs). Therefore, finding a bullet to shoot in it with a high B.C. is a must. Several people have recommended the 75 gr vmax for shooting groundhogs. After looking around, the B.C. of this bullet is about .290. I also looked at Nosler's website. They offer a 85 gr BT (B.C. of .329), a 100 gr BT (B.C. of .393), and a 115 gr BT (B.C. of .453). I'd like to mess around with these heavier nosler ballistic tips and see how they shoot. Has anyone messed around with these bullets? I'm also up for any suggestions!
Thanks,
Ruck

Ruck

Posts: 203 | Location: Southwestern, va | Registered: 30 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of johnch
posted Hide Post
I use the 115gr BT in my 257 AI for deer.
I would stick to the 85 gr or less 25 cal bullets.
If you look at the Nosler list ,the 100 and 115 gr bullets are for deer size game . They will not expand on crows or chucks, just punch a hole and keep on going.
I have shot a lot of the 75 gr Hornady bullets on chucks with explosive results.

Johnch

NRA life
Delta
Pheasants Forever
DU
Hunt as if your life depended on your results

Posts: 591 | Location: NW ,Ohio 10 Min from Ottawa NWR | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of pdhntr1
posted Hide Post
Ruck,

I have not shot the 85 BT out of my present 25, but have shot it out of previous ones, and I have been happy with the results. As with my other guns, the heavier bullets shot a little better.

I certainly don't know the area you are hunting, and you are very likely a safe hunter but if ricochets might be a problem, I would stay away from the 100 and 115 BT. These are hunting bullets, and will do a fine job on a crow or groundhog, but a miss may not stop as well as the 85 Varmint bullet. I shot up some 90-115 gr. 25 cal. bullets at pds some years back and was surprised at the number of ricochets there was. Maybe not a big deal, but it is something that came to mind.

My 25s really liked IMR 4350.

Jim

Edited: Johnchs answer was not up there when I started, so... ya, what Johnch said. Cool

Please be an ethical PD hunter, always practice shoot and release!!

Praying for all the brave souls standing in harms way.

Posts: 731 | Location: NoWis. | Registered: 04 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
yeah, i saw that they were designed for hunting, however i also have messed around with 120 gr ballistic tips in a 7mm that are specified for hunting...they do a good job on the groundhogs Big Grin
Richochets aren't a problem where i hunt at. I just need something that'll really dope the wind. Thanks guys!
Ruck

Posts: 203 | Location: Southwestern, va | Registered: 30 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Quarter Round
posted Hide Post
Try the 85 BTs and I think you will be pleased with accuracy and terminal performance. My experince is 100 to 200 yds with 300 yds a long shot for WV. When you say long range I assume you are speaking of 400+ yds.
Other bullets I like are the 75gr Sierra HP and 87gr Speer TNT. Both are flat base bullets, but deserve a test as a varmint bullet in your rifle.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ruck, Did you shoot the rifle at all yet? The VERY FIRST load I would have tried in it(if you hadn't picked it up Friday!!!!) Big Grin would have been 57.0 grains of ReLoader 19 and the 85 BT!! I'll bet it will like it!!! And at 3613 or 3614fps(2 different 26" Senderos tested at the same time with the same load!!!!!!...only "1"fps difference in the aggregates!!)it will absolutely send a groundhog "his airmail invitation home"!!!! You know where my load book is!!! And anymore info you need on the 100's or the 115's is in there!!!! Also some pretty good data on the 75's!! Just for SAG(s....and giggles) try 53 grains of H414 and the 75's!!! Anything else? Big Grin Big Grin Also go over to the "small calibers" forum and look up somebody needing data for a .204!!! When are you going to get home for the summer? We expanded the shooting range!!!! Now possible to go to 1000....,no problem!!!! GHD

Groundhog Devastation(GHD)

Posts: 2495 | Location: SW. VA | Registered: 29 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
GHD,
i haven't gotten to shoot the rifle yet, i gotta order a few things before i get started loading for it. I was just thinking the other day that i needed to shoot my .22-250 out to about 500 so we do need to get together and shoot a little bit. I need to complete my drop chart for it. Already had it out to 500 once with a different load and it was slamming .5 liter coke bottles about every shot off the bench. Hopefully by then i'll have that 25-06 ready to roll. I just got finished lapping the scope rings on it and i'm about to mount the Nikon on it. I might borrow a few bullets from you and load them up and see how they shoot before i order a bunch of them. After we get a load to shoot in this baby...we're gonna have to stretch it out and see how it shoots "way out there." I'm also in debate as to what kind of brass i should get. I have a pile (probably around 1000 cases of all different kinds...Remington, Winchester, and federal (i think)) that i could neck down and trim up to the chamber specs but i could just go ahead and order some 25-06 brass. Let me know what you think. I'll be home sometime around the 3rd or 4th of May...oooh and congrats on that group...man that .204 does shoot like wildfire

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ruck, I have messed with all the bullets you have mentioned with good success with them.

I have to agree with the other guys that while the 100 and 115 BT bullets have high ballistic coefficients, the terminal performance might not be what you are looking for. They are designed as hunting bullets. I have shot a mess of wild hogs and some antelope with the 115's and they work great for that usage. They would certainly make hitting a woodchuck at long range a little easier in the wind, though.

I have had good success on ground squirrels, coyotes, etc. with the 75 grain V-Max. The BC is only .290, but you can get some pretty fast loads with it. I have actually had better luck shooting coyotes with it than the 85 grain Ballistic Tip, more on that later.

IF, the only thing you want to shoot are crows and woodchucks, I can highly recommend the 85 grain Ballitsic Tip. It is darned accurate and the terminal performance has to be seen to be believed. I have simply stopped using it on coyotes because it sometimes blows huge surface holes in the hides but does not penetrate enough to kill the animal outright. Hard to believe, but I have seen it a number of times.

I have shot marmots or rockchucks with the 25-06 using the 85 grain BT at ranges over 500 yards. Even at those ranges it picks them up and throws them. Last Sunday I shot a few ground squirrels with that load just for fun. I do not know how to explain how dramatic the results are. Without being there I do not imagine you can believe how high in the air a ground squirrel can get when shot off of a granite rock at 200 yards.

For the 75 or 85 grain bullets I prefer the use of IMR 4831 with a standard primer. For the 115 grain bullets I shoot IMR 7828 with the Federal 215M primer.

Have fun!

R Flowers

Posts: 1220 | Location: Hanford, CA, USA | Registered: 12 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure that the 115gr. Bal. Tip isn't just a bit of overkill for varmints, to say nothing of expensive. I have a new Remington 700BDL in .25-06 and am still developing loads for it. The 115gr. bullets has quite a kick for a varmint bullet.
Mine spits out a sheet of flame about 18 to 24" long. It's also unbelievable loud. It's accurate enough for varmint use even n a sporter barrel. I just thini there's a lot of better calibers you can use. Just one mans opinion. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

Cal Sibley

Posts: 1866 | Location: Montreal, Canada | Registered: 01 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
RUCK!!!! Josh(marmonthunter) is headed up to Chantilly this weekend to the big darn gun show up there and he can pick up some reloading supplies for you if you need something!!!! The 85 and 100's will probably suffice for what you're using that rifle for! REMEMBER it did 2"@500 with the 75 VMAXS!!!!!
Cal Sibley.....yes a 25-06 makes a "noise of it's own!!!" And so does a 22-250!! I tend to like them both!!! And if somehow I was limited to only 1 rifle chambering to have to do all my hunting here, varmints to deer....and even the "big deer".....it would be the 25-06!!!! That's from GHD....."pastor at the the church of the 25-06"!! Big Grin Big GrinGHD

Groundhog Devastation(GHD)

Posts: 2495 | Location: SW. VA | Registered: 29 July 2002Reply With Quote