New
Find
Notify
Tools

60 grain 22 lr for yotes?
 Login/Join

posted
What do you guys think?
22 LR with 60 grain bullets kill a coyote?

Posts: 22 | Location: USA | Registered: 10 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Under Ideal circumstances maybe, trapping point blank execution style probably. Hunting HEEEELLLLL NO!!!!! IMO rimfires do not have the ass to effectivly kill coyotes. I know I will get flamed. I know someone has killed them out to 150yards with no problems, do not care. respect the critter and use enough gun.

posted Hide Post
I agree, I will probably use my 243 win
Thanks

One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
I'm with Blueprinted on this one.

If I had one in my footholds I have no doubt in my mind that it would kill one. But out under hunting conditions I doubt it.

I have shot some Grey Fox with .22 lr in the frontal chest cavity and never found them Frowner

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3326 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Who makes a 22 LR round with a 60 Gr bullet?? A 40 Gr bullet is the heavyest bullet I have seen in a 22 LR. Years ago I shot a Yote in the rib area at about 50 some yards and watched it run over a hill and could not find it. I have never used a 22 LR round on Yotes since then. Now I, ll use a 22-250 or Swift for yote hunting.

tuck2

Posts: 193 | Location: Nebr Panhandle | Registered: 13 March 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
aguila makes a 60 grainer. called the sniper subsonic.
natchezss.com carries these rounds.
They have a ton of energy, thats why I asked about killin yotes, I wouldnt try it with the regular 22lr loads.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Welcome Hotshot. Should have started of that way. About any centerfire is enough to kill coyotes, just as long as the range and the round are on par. I did alot of calling with a 22mag for foxes, first night I had coyotes come in I built a new rifle. I knew with out pulling the trigger I did not have the gun to take an 85yard moving shot. IMO a coyote is about one of the smartest animals on the planet. I know they are detructive and hated, but I have alot of respect for a creature like that. I should not have pulled the pin so fast. Alot of guys on here know their poop. hang out you will like it.

One of Us
Picture of f224
posted Hide Post
Hotshot:

For very close range, it should work, but it is a bit light for anything but a perfect shot.

Like Blueprinted said, there are a lot of guys here who know what does and does not work.

Welcome aboard.

Captain Dave Funk
Operator
www.BlaserPro.com

Posts: 841 | Location: Dallas, Iowa, USA | Registered: 05 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted Hide Post
If you put it in the head most any caliber will work, but a chest shot will probably involve tracking.

Love shooting precision and long range. Big bores too!

Recent college grad, started a company called MK Machining where I'm developing a bullpup rifle chassis system.

Posts: 2598 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 29 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Aquila still sells a 60gr subsonic that some use for match shooting but it requires a faster twist than a standard 22lr.

A 22lr will kill a yote but most will die a long and agonizing death. As Bluprinted mentioned; if you revere an animal enough to hunt it, then use enough gun to cleanly dispatch it with one shot.

Posts: 207 | Location: Central Ohio | Registered: 11 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
that ammo is a 22 short with a heavy bullet that will not stablize in any 22 barrel i know of. now as youself - why in the world would you want to shoot a yote with a 22 short????

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone.

butchloc buddy, please start from the top post and count down 2, then read what I wrote. It will make this whole thread a little clearer for you... I was just asking for the sake of asking, its quieter than a 243, so if I could use it effectively, I would. If I thought I could not, then I would not..